× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ST2000DL003 Barracuda - 2TB

6speed1
Aspirant

ST2000DL003 Barracuda - 2TB

Has anyone used this drive yet? Any comments?

I might order some for my NV+.

TIA. 😄
Message 1 of 40
MrBadger
Aspirant

I'm about to get some since they're on the official list with the exact same model number and they seem to be available at a reasonable price. Here goes nothing!
Message 2 of 40
6speed1
Aspirant

MrBadger wrote:
I'm about to get some since they're on the official list with the exact same model number and they seem to be available at a reasonable price. Here goes nothing!

Good luck. :thumbsup:
Message 3 of 40
Jimmski
Aspirant

Aria are selling these for £61.99 today with free next day delivery. I've just bagged myself a pair to upgrade my Duo. I'll let you know if they're OK 😄
Message 4 of 40
cskyrme
Aspirant

I got 4 of them (Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166) for $75 each Canadian and just installed them in my new ReadyNas Pro 6. So far so good. I'm in the process of copying over the data from my NV+ which should take a little while, but the first Tb has gone without incident.
Message 5 of 40
Sly_Raskal
Guide

I've installed them in my NV a few days ago. Working good so far.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=53695
Message 6 of 40
swobopio
Aspirant

I've been reading up on this forum for about a year now thinking of which drives to upgrade my NV+ to. I decided to wait until my 2x750GB fills up before returning to this forum and that time has arrived.

I was originally looking at the 2TB EARS drives from WD but it looks like they still haven't worked out all the kinks with those drives so I was forced to resort to a safer alternative and go with these ST2000DL003 Seagate drives. I have just bought 5 of them (one to keep as a spare). Reading the posts regarding these drives it seems like there isn't any problems with them. Is there anything I should know before I go ahead and put these in?
Do I have to do a factory reset before initilization the drives or should it expand properly if I just start adding them one-by-one to the array, replacing the old 2x750GB seagates that came with the NV+? All over the WD forums I read that everyone recommends backing up the data and then doing a factory reset and inilizing the drives from scratch; is that the same case for these Seagate drives or would these play well if I was to just start to expand the array by adding new disks?
Message 7 of 40
PapaBear1
Guide

What version of RAIDiator are you running in the NV+?
Message 8 of 40
swobopio
Aspirant

I'm running 4.1.7 but the drives were initialized originally on the stock firmware over a year ago. My concern is the whole sector-size issue with these new drives. I know I wouldn't be hurting myself by creating a new array as opposed to expanding the existing one but it would save a heck of a lot of time to do it the expanding way 🙂

Anyone have any comments when expanding to 4K sector drives? (I believe the ST2000DL003 are 4K). I'd like to do this "the right way" the first time around so I'd appreciate any/all suggestions in this matter.
Message 9 of 40
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would backup your data, perhaps doing a System > Config Backup then doing a factory reset.

Each time you swap a disk, a resync occurs, then once the resync finishes your replace the next disk, then finally you reboot and expansion occurs. This does take a while and when you consider how long it takes, backing up and doing a factory reset doesn't sound so bad.
Message 10 of 40
swobopio
Aspirant

Hah, yea, I guess I didn't take that into account and when you put it that way it makes sense to do the factory reset. I'll grab the latest firmware also before I put the new disks in. I'll update on how it goes, thanks.
What is the recommended stable firmware for the NV+ right now?
Message 11 of 40
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

4.1.7 is the latest firmware which you claim you're already running. I would suggest you double check to make sure you're running that firmware.
Message 12 of 40
Sly_Raskal
Guide

I second the notion to backup all data and perform a factory default. This is what I did when I upgraded my NV a couple weeks ago. Made the process much easier.
Message 13 of 40
swobopio
Aspirant

Update: I've backed up the contents and took out the old 750GB disks. I then put in one of the new ST2000DL003 and booted it up (wanted to make sure that the disk is recognized and works before I open up the others to avoid restocking fees if I had to return them). The NV+ booted up fine and initialized the one disk without any issues (usable space: ~1.8TB). Ok so it looks like the ST2000DL003 are working fine.

I powered off the NAS and put in the remaining three ST2000DL003s. I booted up the NAS and saw that it recognized all 4 disks and was initializing Disk 2. I wasn't sure if I did the right thing putting in the one lone disk at first so I went ahead and did a factory reset now. I powered off the NV+, held down the reset pinhole and booted the NV+ back up. I released the reset pinhole after 10 seconds and it proceeded to do a fatory reset.

It recreated the first disk and started to initialize disk 2 (the same thing that happened right before factory reset). Does it do one disk at a time or should all of them initialize at once? It sounds like everything is going fine but I just wasn't sure if it's still supposed to do this one-by-one. I left it alone last night and let it do it's thing... Haven't checked this morning but I will later this afternoon. I will update with the status tonight.
Message 14 of 40
swobopio
Aspirant

Alright so it didn't quite work at first but I think it's going to work now.

I just checked up on the progress and it said that the synch of the volume completed successfully but it showed only 2 disks "fully redundant". I rebooted the NV+ which then showed all 4 disks but it still had only 1.8TB usable space (as if only 2 of the disks worked).

I forced a "resync" of the volume and after about an hour it now shows 5555GB usable but will still take about 24 hours for the sync to complete. In short, it looks like it is working now. Will update again in 24 hours when I know for sure 🙂
Message 15 of 40
swobopio
Aspirant

Been running about a week now and it looks like everything is working great.
Message 16 of 40
is0lde
Aspirant

I just expanded from 2x750gb to 2x2TB ST2000DL003. Expansion worked fine, but Frontview keeps suggesting a manual resync. I have done 2 now. I also started to get error messages when streaming that the connection was lost of that the file was no longer accessible. I am doing a 3rd resync now, but suspect that one of the drives may be faulty. Any idea's how to run a diagnostic?
Message 17 of 40
ONESIMUS
Aspirant

Interesting thread as I am considering upgrading my DUO from a pair of 1TB drives to 2TB drives (or even 3TB drives, if they are supported).
Message 18 of 40
Serve
Aspirant

Hello, I have 5 2TB Barracuda's and 1 Samsung HD204UI ready for installing to my Readynas Ultra 6. The first time i put them together in my Nas and the boot find all 6 of them. Then c: was resynking. when ready it started restriping and after a while! Disc error disc 2. Frontview log warning disc 2 had 6 ATA foulds and system crascht and could not get acces to drives and backup information. System reset to factory boot and try again with first 2 Barracuda's, while checking discs again warning disc 2 error ( 6 ATA's broken ). Back to the store they check the drive and Yes!!!! 1 Barracuda broken after 2 days trying setup my Readynas ultra 6. This is the first time this happens with one of my drives. Now installing with other 4 Barracuda's and after 7 hours restriping i have now 37,0 %, but i don't know if i have to wait until the nas is ready with the 4 drives now, ore can i put in the new Barracuda and the Samsung immediately now without any problem. BUT after All, The Seagate ST2000DL003 is still one of the Best HDD on the Market.
Message 19 of 40
BFG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just to add my experience ST2000DL003 working with no problem now for 3 months in my Readynas NV+
(ST2000DL003-9VT166)

I found that swapping drives one at a time led to problems which wasted huge amounts of time, disc errors etc. From this forum I determined the path to take....

1. Ensure you have Raidiator 4.1.7
2. Backup all your data
3. Factory reset before inserting any of your disks
4. swap in all discs at once.
5. setup as normal.

If, like me, you just didn't have enough backup space for all your data, you might be tempted to deviate from the path above. I wasted days doing that, and the end result had poor performance and left me unsure if I had something stable. Factory reset is the way to go. 🙂
Message 20 of 40
antigooner1
Aspirant

Re: ST2000DL003 Barracuda - 2TB SATA III

My readynas duo currently has 2 x 1tb WD drives, (which are full to capacity). I'm about to buy 2 x 2tb drives (Seagate ST2000DL003 Sata III) as they are in the compatibility list.

I've read a few posts on here suggesting back-up etc beforehand (surely the whole point of x-raid is they are backed-up (mirrored) already. I also note from the FAQ that the readynas duo is only SATA1; so I now have doubts about the compatibility list!

As I'm not terribly technical, can someone re-assure me that the ST2000DL003's will work, and can I simply 'hot swap' them? I am running radiator 4.1.7

Thanks in advance for any help

NO HELP OR REPLY SO FAR

Bought the drives and put one in and resync started. Email received telling me 17hours to completion.....it has now been 36 hours and no email advising me it is finished ......right hand light blinking continuously.
IS IT HANGING OR WHAT?

Forgot to update this, both discs installed and working fine!
Message 21 of 40
hoss713
Aspirant

Anyone know why these drives are not listed on the official compatibility list for the NV+ v2?

Thanks...

-lj
Message 22 of 40
dobius
Aspirant

I also migrated these 2 Barracudas from Duo to Ultra 2 and for now they are just fine...
Message 23 of 40
alcester
Aspirant

I bought two of these drives for a new Ultra 4+ in Dec 2011. They were cheap, green, from a reputable manufacturer and on the Hardware Compatibility List...

They ran fine for a month or so but really only used for music streaming for a Sonos system. I then bought another 2 in Jan 2012 to fill the unit and allow me to store all my DVD's, Photo's, Home Movies and PC/Mac backups on it.

While installing the second pair of drives, I had a 'disk failure detected' during the expansion process (X-RAID2). After raising a thread elsewhere on the forum and a ticket with Netgear to ask for help, I found that a factory reset followed by a data restore from backup was needed to get me up and running. The drive reported as dead miraculously came alive and all seemed well.

Roll forward to today (Mar 2012) and after daily use (but not intensive use by any means), I have a different drive reported as failed. My volume is therefore not protected but data is still accessible (incremental USB backup running as I write this). If another drive goes, I'll be neck deep in the smelly stuff.

While looking on the Forums to solve my expansion problem in January, I came across lots of reports of problems with these drives in various models of ReadyNAS. Although similar, my situation at the time was not identical. Today, however, I am a full member of the 'DO NOT BUY SEAGATE ST2000DL003 DRIVES FOR YOUR READYNAS' club.

I will be researching a replacement and will not base my decision on cost.

For those interested, here is the full model number and firmware version of the drives I bought: -

Model: ST2000DL003-9VT166
Firmware: CC3C
Message 24 of 40
ferg1
Guide

I am with you 100% on this. I bought a new Pro 6 with 6 of these drives. I've had to RMA 4 (or 5) of them now. However, I've had far more disc failures where the Readynas marks the drives as dead. Readynas Support have been helpful in that they've managed to coax these discs to life after they are marked as dead. Although they'd not been able to do much more. I guess that it was a mistake that this drive ever made it to the HCL, but I think the real fault must lie with Seagate for selling such a faulty drive and even worse not fixing this with a firmware update, or even acknowledging the problem.

I've replaced two of the drives with enterprise class drives and as soon as disc drives prices drop again I'll be replacing the other four. Until then the unti is surviving with all high disc activity curtailed. For example Time Machine will cause a drive to fail within minutes.
Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements