× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Service Action to Prevent PSU Failures in ReadyNAS NV/NV+

dbott67
Guide

samccormack wrote:
...They didn't send ANY directions on how to replace the unit but since I've done computer repairs I decided to just dive in and 12 screws later I had the thing replaced...

Just in case someone else needs the instructions:

faq.php#How_do_I_replace_the_stock_power_supply_on_the_ReadyNas_NV%2FNV%2B%3F
Message 201 of 347
gaiason
Aspirant

Ehh.. since the two jedis are not responding to my post.. anyone else can help me? Will I be get my replacement PSU for my affected ReadyNAS NV+? Or I have to purchase it myself?

Regards,
Gaiason
Message 202 of 347
dbott67
Guide

I would call back Netgear and get the problem escalated. Be persistent, be polite, but insist that they look into the PSU problem by having them look at this thread or have them contact a senior Netgear rep in the US.
Message 203 of 347
Jerry_Leichter
Aspirant

Having just been through this process myself: The tech I spoke to had no trouble finding information about the problem, and quickly authorized an RMA. He then transferred me to the "RMA department". The first-line person I spoke to there told me that the unit was long out of warrantee so she couldn't process an RMA - but would ask her supervisor, who would call me back. No one called back in a couple of days, so I called support again. The person I spoke to the second time saw all the notes and contact the supervisor directly. He approved the RMA, and I was transferred back to the "RMA department" to work the details.

Only surprise in the process: You have three ways to handle this. If you send your existing PSU in first, they send you a replacement for free - all shipping covered. Of course, your unit is down for days. (If your PSU already burned up, it's down anyway....) Alternatively, they can ship you a replacement first, and you ship the old one back. You have a choice of a couple-of-day shipping option (about $20), or an overnight shipping option (about $25).

Since my unit is working fine, I took the couple-of-day shipping option.

Given the nature of the problem here, and the fact that this is a service action to prevent a known problem, I was a bit surprised to have to pay to avoid having my unit artificially out of action for days. It's not a great deal of money so I didn't argue the point, but I will raise it here....
Message 204 of 347
beisser1
Aspirant

well those are standard-shipment options. these have nothing to do with the power supply. you have those with any netgear-product. thats just how it works.. there are no special contracts for power-supply shipping or anything.
Message 205 of 347
gaiason
Aspirant

Ok, so I will try my luck and call back again to escalate the issue next week.. and of course demand them to see the thread and provide a RMA politely. I have been very patient with them on last call but they just throw me off with "your machine is out of warranty".

I will post back with my results. Thanks.

Regards,
Gaiason
Message 206 of 347
Jerry_Leichter
Aspirant

You could suggest they reference my case ID: 9184939
Message 207 of 347
matsleight
Aspirant

Today I started to get the bad smell 😞
I have logged it online via the my.netgear.com site so hopefully it should get to the UK team and get me one sent out.
I have a case id of: 9262105, just in case any Jedi can expedite the process 😉
Message 208 of 347
matsleight
Aspirant

Spoke with the RMA team today, they initially said no to replacement - again pointing out the service action and this thread helped. My problem was that I had confused them into thinking I wanted the whole box swapped not just the PSU. So if you do get push back explain just power supply!

In UK you also have the 3 options - free but you have to send your PSU in first, £13 for 5-7 days they send you the replacement, then you swap and post back, or £30 next business day sent to you.
Message 209 of 347
gaiason
Aspirant

Hi all,

Here is my status on trying to "escalate" my RMA here in Singapore. I've called 800 6011 369 about 5 mins ago, and spoke to this guy name "Shawn". I calmly spoke tell him my case no., the whole service action and RMA of the affected Readynas NV+ PSU issue.

He spoke to me in his sleepy tone that Netgear have stopped providing RMA for the products as it is over 2 years and it is "out of warranty". I told him about this site and the forum that some of you guys are getting RMA.

He said that Netgear has a different policy in Asia and so I am just out of luck on this. He then told me I will be able to get the replacement parts at buynetgear.com. Which I do not even see any International shipping. Sigh.. 😞

Regards,
Gaiason
Message 210 of 347
beisser1
Aspirant

gaiason wrote:
Hi all,

Here is my status on trying to "escalate" my RMA here in Singapore. I've called 800 6011 369 about 5 mins ago, and spoke to this guy name "Shawn". I calmly spoke tell him my case no., the whole service action and RMA of the affected Readynas NV+ PSU issue.

He spoke to me in his sleepy tone that Netgear have stopped providing RMA for the products as it is over 2 years and it is "out of warranty". I told him about this site and the forum that some of you guys are getting RMA.

He said that Netgear has a different policy in Asia and so I am just out of luck on this. He then told me I will be able to get the replacement parts at buynetgear.com. Which I do not even see any International shipping. Sigh.. 😞

Regards,
Gaiason

he is correct if your serial number is not within the affected range of powersupplies.

if it is within range then hes simply wrong. i would call again and have them escalate your case further up.
Message 211 of 347
gaiason
Aspirant

Hi beisser,

Yes, I've calculated both of the PSU and it is within range.

Thank you for you help, awaiting any news from you.

Best Regards,
Gaiason
Message 212 of 347
matsleight
Aspirant

My PSU finally failed today, ironically the replacement arrived at my work but they wouldnt give me it without swapping for the old one. Of course that was at home, but hopefully tomorrow I can do the swap.

For those of you in the UK, it is worth bearing in mind if you do the swap it, they literally mean there and then, not send it back at your leisure.

For those that are interested, here is how it looked, you can see the scorch on the side of the yellow block with text and the black ring to left the left is all burnt out
Message 213 of 347
dbott67
Guide

gaiason wrote:
Hi beisser,

Best Regards,
Gaiason

I don't know if bessier or any of the Jedi's can offer any assistance with the Singapore support team. You will probably have to escalate it yourself.
Message 214 of 347
beisser1
Aspirant

dbott67 wrote:
gaiason wrote:
Hi beisser,

Best Regards,
Gaiason

I don't know if bessier or any of the Jedi's can offer any assistance with the Singapore support team. You will probably have to escalate it yourself.

i wont be able to help with this. it could even be that there is a different policy in effect in asia, who knows.

i can only speak for europe, where powersupplies get swapped if in range.
Message 215 of 347
contempt1
Aspirant

Even with the add-ons, my PSU fried on Friday. I understand Power Supplies going bad, but there was a burning smell and some smoke in the air. That's what freaked me and the wife out more, as this unit is in our home.

Now aside from that, I called Netgear (the number in Yoh-dah's signature) on Saturday morning. They transferred me about 5 times because I had forgotten to register my NV+ 1-1/2 years ago, but all in all, what a great experience. They were top-notch, helpful, fast and they fed-ex'd me a new unit overnight (where I'd send my old unit back). I was amazed given horrible experiences others have had.

Anyway, setting up the new unit last night and I was freaked out because none of my drives were showing up and I was very worried that the damage to the PSU would affect my drives. I followed their advice of replacing the drives in the exact same locations, but still nothing.

But this morning, I realized the unit they sent me had firmware 3.x running and not 4.x, as my drives are 1.5TB. So I'm upgrading the firmware now and when I'm home tonight, hopefully my data will return. But I'm surprised the new Netgear unit (my NV+ was an Infrant model) only had 3.x on it. Anyway, here's hoping the data is still alive and kicking. I just wished there was some warning or tech support would have told me about that as I almost called it quits and created a new share in 3.x which would have definitely harmed my data.
Message 216 of 347
yukit
Aspirant

My ReadyNAS NV's PSU burned out a few days ago. At least I hope it is just the PSU.

I finally had a chance to open the unit to have a look at the power supply. It looks pretty much the same as the picture posted by matsleight, right down to the scorched yellow tape & white epoxy turned brown.
We were glad this happened while we were at home; it really freaked my spouse.

I just received an update an my case submission. I am to contact Netgear for an RMA. What number do I call? 888-NETGEAR or 866 number on the ReadyNAS support site?
Message 217 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

Either number should get you there, the 866 might be a shorter path.
Message 218 of 347
contempt1
Aspirant

I had called the 866 number.

Again, I want to say how impressed I am with Netgear support. You guys did an amazing job. As an update to my previous post, after I updated my firmware, I still couldn't mount my drives but it did show there was data on it, so I felt relieved.

Anyway, a call to NetGear around 9pm and the first agent I talked with not only pulled up my RMA info immediately, but was actually my tech support person telling me with a new case I had to set permissions in Frontview. Well that did it. Fixed everything and my drives are perfect. These folks are knowledgeable, friendly, speak English and they get the job done. Amazing. Keep up the great work, but definitely solve the PSU failures.
Message 219 of 347
yukit
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
Either number should get you there, the 866 might be a shorter path.

Yep, I called the 866 number, got in touch with a support person located in Utah. I got the RMA number to swap the PSU.
I was hoping that I can just drive to Fremont across the bay to exchange the PSU like my friend did, but I have to send the PSU to Memphis.

I am glad that Netgear is still providing support for the old issues carried over from the Infrant days.
Message 220 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

yukit wrote:
I was hoping that I can just drive to Fremont across the bay to exchange the PSU like my friend did, but I have to send the PSU to Memphis.
You won't find much in Fremont. We moved to San Jose last year. 😉 And I wouldn't have any PSUs to swap with in the office, I have to do an RMA just like you when I need a replacement.
Message 221 of 347
kirm
Aspirant

This is bloody ridiculous! I had to RMA mine over a bad NIC and they sent me an old (probably "refurbished") one that has this problem. Man that's rich.

This lousy unit hasn't worked right from day one. It's unreliable, slow and generally a pain in the butt. I finally get to RMA it and they send me some old unit that they probably had an RMA on years ago. Beautiful!

That's what 1500 bucks buys you today I guess. :x

NEVER, EVER, AGAIN NETGEAR!

I'm lining up a QNap TS-509 Pro and I'd sue Netgear if I figured it was worth the trouble.
Message 222 of 347
fludorf
Aspirant

Hi,

I have a ready NAS NV+ which seems to be within the serial nr range specified above. I installed the plugin a while ago.

Today my NAS died. I assume its the power supply as there is zero sign of life when I plug it in and try to power it up.

What can I do?
Message 223 of 347
dbott67
Guide

Call support for your area.
Message 224 of 347
yukit
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
yukit wrote:
You won't find much in Fremont. We moved to San Jose last year. 😉 And I wouldn't have any PSUs to swap with in the office, I have to do an RMA just like you when I need a replacement.

I got my replacement PSU last week, but did not get around to installing it till yesterday.
Everything came up fine, did the volume scan on reboot as well; no errors. :thumbsup:
Only regret was that I put it back together in a hurry so I forgot to swap the RAM with a 512MB stick, but it is no big loss since I am using the NAS as a simple file server. I run SlimServer from another PC.

Most of my networking equipment is Netgear (including a few blue-metal-box switches I have had for several years) I have had the power supply adapters go bad a few times, but Netgear support has been pretty good.

I also like Logitech for their support. They have done beyond the normal policy fixing/replacing failed products.
Message 225 of 347
Top Contributors
Announcements