× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

System volume root's usage is 94% RN102

todd123az
Tutor

System volume root's usage is 94% RN102

Hello - I am having a problem with my NAS system as described by several others in the discussion forum (System volume root's usage is 94%.  This condition should not occur under normal circumstances).  I do not have any experience with working in Linux, so consider myself a newbie.  What is the official fix for this?  Quite disappointed in the lack of response from Netgear.  To make matters worse, I am temporarily not at the same location as the NAS unit.  Any help is appreciated.  Todd 

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: System volume root's usage is 94% RN102

There is no information on an "official fix".  

You could try paid tech support (perhaps arguing that they shouldn't charge).  Or you can follow the instructions here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-90-RN...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

There is no information on an "official fix".  

You could try paid tech support (perhaps arguing that they shouldn't charge).  Or you can follow the instructions here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-90-RN...

Message 2 of 5
todd123az
Tutor

Thanks for the information.

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

FYI, there is no "official fix" because the cause is not usually the OS.  It's an installed app that's from a third party.  Plex is notorious for it.

But there is a posting on the idea exchange to at least add some options to the UI to improve detection and, if possible, correction of the problem.  Unfortunately, with the abysmal search function of this forum software, i can't point you to it.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

FYI, there is no "official fix" because the cause is not usually the OS. 

Generally that's true - but there has been a recent wave of full root partitions that were caused by the ClamAV antivirus package - and that is a built-in service, not an app.  That particular problem seems to be limited to RN100 systems (and the poster has an RN102).

So I am guessing that the most likely cause is the Antivirus service.  If that is running, it should be turned off, and the problem should be taken care of.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements