× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WD RED 2TB do not sync with older WD Green 2TB on RNDU 2120

RaptorMax
Aspirant

WD RED 2TB do not sync with older WD Green 2TB on RNDU 2120

I have a RNDU 2120 (ReadyNAS Ultra 2) with 2x2TB. It came populated with 2x2TB WD green HDD (WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0) Firmware RAIDiator 4.2.31 and 1024 MB memory

After some years the hard disk drive No 2 failed and I bought a replacement drive.

I bought a new 2TB HDD and I choose a WD RED WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 as they are designed to better fit the use on a NAS and they are listed in Netgear's hard drive compatible units for my device.

I started the NAS and after letting it go up and finish the booting, then I inserted the new drive in. I received messages of a new hard drive detected and another about the beginning of the syncronization. After some minutes in the web interface health tab, the old (original WD Green) drive appears as "dead" (yellow status) and the new one (new WD Red) appears as "Spare" (green status with a "+" over it). 

If I restart the NAS after putting only the "old" drive alone in the slot 1 it goes up and works normal (obviously without redundancy) and the drive is not "dead".

If I restart the NAS after extracting the "old" drive on slot 1 and putting only the "new" drive alone in the slot 2 it says the drive in slot 2 is ok (in the Raidair health tab) but there is no response whatsoever (the NAS responds through web interface but is not possible retreive data from the disk).

Is any parameter or setting that have to be modified or changed? Is an incompatibility between the two tipes of HHDs (Green vs Red)?

I greatly appreciate any info regarding my problem.

Thank you in advance.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU2120|ReadyNAS Ultra 2
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I suspect that the number of sectors on the old Green drive doesn't match the sector count on the Red.  If that's the case, the volume won't sync.  You can probably confirm this by downloading the log zip file, though it may be quicker to simply boot up with the Green drive in disk 1, and slot 2 empty.  Then try to hot-insert the Red drive again.

If that fails, then the only recourse is to back up the NAS, and do a factory reset (with only the Red in place).  Then restore your data from backup.  You can then try to sync the remaining green drive to the Red (which will work if the green has a few more sectors).

Message 2 of 6
RaptorMax
Aspirant

Thank you for your quick response.

I did the hot-insert of the new hard disk like 4 times (each time shutting down and restarting the NAS with only the "old" green drive and then inserting the "new" one). I have tried starting with it alone in slot 2 but like that it appears as "dead". 

I never started the NAS with both drives in place as I fear that it decides that the good drive is the new one and thus errasing al my valuable data that is still alive.

How do I reach the "log zip files"'? I see that in the FrontView web i/f is an option to downoad the logs, but as far as I see/saw no one says nothing regarding the sectors on the drive.

The easiest way to do the backup is connecting an external drive over the front USB port and then commanding it through the FrontView web interface?

Thank you again for your knowledge and your time!

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@RaptorMax wrote:

I did the hot-insert of the new hard disk like 4 times (each time shutting down and restarting the NAS with only the "old" green drive and then inserting the "new" one). I have tried starting with it alone in slot 2 but like that it appears as "dead". 

The new Red might be dead. Can you test it in a Windows PC using Lifeguard? If not, perhaps just exchange it with the seller (WDC will give you a recertified disk under warranty, the reseller will exchange it for a new one).

@RaptorMax wrote:

How do I reach the "log zip files"'? I see that in the FrontView web i/f is an option to downoad the logs, but as far as I see/saw no one says nothing regarding the sectors on the drive.

disk_smart.log shows the SMART data (disk health).  partition.log should give you the sectors for each disk.

@RaptorMax wrote:

The easiest way to do the backup is connecting an external drive over the front USB port and then commanding it through the FrontView web interface?

That will work, and the front port is the USB 3 port.  You can also back it up over your network (using drag/drop to a disk connected to a PC).

Message 4 of 6
Docsavage123
Aspirant

Check firmware on Nas box I had to downgrade mine to version before on my readynaspro 6 as it would not rebuild onto the disk. Reboot the Nas with just the WD green in it and add the WD red after. It should then start to rebuild. If the source disk is degraded that will need replacing as well

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Docsavage123 wrote:
Check firmware on Nas box I had to downgrade mine to version before on my readynaspro 6 as it would not rebuild onto the disk. Reboot the Nas with just the WD green in it and add the WD red after. It should then start to rebuild. If the source disk is degraded that will need replacing as well

I don't recommend downgrading firmware, that shouldn't be needed.  I'd have thought that if there were an issue with resync on 4.2.31 we'd have seen many posts on that here by now.

The OP already followed the rest of your advice, so I think the next step is to test the new disk (since it might simply have failed).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements