× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: X6-TL fails to boot

jlahd
Aspirant

X6-TL fails to boot

Hello,

I have been using an X6-TL for some time. Now I ran into problems - the box won't boot. When I turn on the power, the power led first blinks quickly, then slowly, then starts pulsating. When the HDD leds blink for the first time (they all blink at the same time, very quickly), the boot sequence restarts.

I tried booting without the disks, with the same results. I also ran the memory check (at least I think I did - pressed the button on the front panel when turning on the power and released it at 5th blink of the HDD leds), and it indicated a failure, leaving HDD leds 1 and 2 on after the test. So, I swapped the DIMM - but the problem persists, and the memory check still indicates a failure.

So, do I have two faulty DIMMs, or is there some other issue that might be causing the behavior? What can I try next?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have X6 Rev. A or Rev. B?

Did the replacement DIMM meet the specifications for your NAS? See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=307625#p307625

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 8
jlahd
Aspirant

Hello,

it seems to be rev. B, as the memory is 200-pin SODIMM. And yes, the memory should be correct, it is PC2700 (256MB DDR 333MHz CL2.5). The original DIMM I replaced was PC3200 (256MB DDR 400MHz CL3).
Message 3 of 8
jlahd
Aspirant

Well,

I think I have to assume that the motherboard is broken, as both DIMMs cause similar effects. Are motherboards available as spares, or is there someone who would like to get rid of his old X6 box?
Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you attempt to boot the NAS can you see it in RAIDar (http://www.ReadyNAS.com/downloads)?
Message 5 of 8
jlahd
Aspirant

No, it does not get that far. Once it did (the point of crash during the boot sequence varies somewhat between boots), and I was able to see it in RAIDar, but could not do anything to it.
Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Was just wanting to know if you got to see it in RAIDar and saw e.g. an error message under the Info (far right) column.

If you power down and remove the disks (label order) and attempt to boot the NAS does it show in RAIDar? If so, what do you see under the Info (far right) column in RAIDar?

You might wish to connect your disks up to a SATA port on your PC and check them using vendor tools
Message 7 of 8
jlahd
Aspirant

The disks are OK, according to SeaTools.

New symptoms as of today: I booted the box once more, after a break of about three weeks (for that time the box sat powerless on the floor, without disks). It got to the point that the power led was pulsating and the disk leds were alternating a sequence of all on - only 2 on - all on - etc. I checked RAIDar and was able to see the box. The rightmost column complained that there were no disks (well, there weren't). Setup button was grayed, so I was not able to do anything more.

I turned the power off, then plugged in the disks and booted. Got the same behavior I described in the first post of this thread (boot loop, boot does not get far enough for the box to be visible to RAIDar). I took the disks out once more and now the machine seems to be hopelessly broken: When I turn on the power, all leds except disk 4 (power, activity, disk 1-3) immediately turn on and remain that way; nothing whatsoever happens (including the fan in the front of the box).

I detached the motherboard and inspected it visually, but there is nothing that is apparently broken (leaking capacitors, blown-up ICs or something on those lines). So, I think my options now are getting a spare motherboard or a completely new NAS box...
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements