× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

file sharing and record locking

almc1245
Aspirant

file sharing and record locking

Could this unit serve as a file server for a 3 station POS system that requires file and record locking capabilities??

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: file sharing and record locking

@almc1245 wrote:

From the samba.org maunal:

Samba provides all the same locking semantics that MS Windows clients expect and that MS Windows NT4/200x servers also provide.

I think there are some differences and specific settings with byte-range locking - https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/locking.html  I don't think Netgear has that turned off, but I've never needed to research it either.

@almc1245 wrote:

At less than $500, this seems like a steal.

Am I missing something here??

It is a good deal for RAID storage.  It's not a Windows application server though, so you are comparing apples and oranges.

Although many small business do go with the RN100 and RN200 series, Netgear classifies them as "home NAS" so you won't be getting business support.  RN300 is the entry-level "business" NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Samba (SMB) supports file locking.  Not sure about record locking.

Message 2 of 4
almc1245
Aspirant

Samba provides all the same locking semantics that MS Windows clients expect and that MS Windows NT4/200x servers also provide.

A small windows server; hardware, server O/S, and licienses will run me around  $2.5k.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@almc1245 wrote:

I think there are some differences and specific settings with byte-range locking - https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/locking.html  I don't think Netgear has that turned off, but I've never needed to research it either.

@almc1245 wrote:

It is a good deal for RAID storage.  It's not a Windows application server though, so you are comparing apples and oranges.

Although many small business do go with the RN100 and RN200 series, Netgear classifies them as "home NAS" so you won't be getting business support.  RN300 is the entry-level "business" NAS.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements