× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: glitches ReadyNAS Pro 6 (rndp6000) - keeps rebooting when network plugged in

lgottli
Aspirant

glitches ReadyNAS Pro 6 (rndp6000) - keeps rebooting when network plugged in

I have a ReadyNAS pro 6, it has the laatest firmware release, running RAIDiator-x86-4.2.31. A little while ago the unit started to re-boot by itself constantly. It has been running flawlessly for many years now.

I discovered if I removed it from the network the NAS would boot up with no problems. Once I plugged in the network cable, it would start to reboot constantly again. Then if I plugged it into a 100mb switch it seemed to boot, but not on the 1 gig. Now even that does not work.

I managed to get my hands on another network IO card. I installed it and it has not made any difference. I cannot log into the unit as it is totally unstable now. I have done a OS reinstall, using the reset button. That has not helped me getting the unit stable.

I have done a Memory test, and Disk Test and they both pass without any problems.

I do not want to do a total Factory default   as I do not want to loose everything on the system.

Does anyone have an idea as to what may be wrong with the system?  I need it up long enough so I can transfer everything off. Then I can try a total factory reset. I did manage to re-install the firmware but that too did not make it stable.

I am really open to any suggestions to try.

Thanks!

Model: RNDP6000-200 |ReadyNAS® Pro 6 |EOL,ReadyNAS RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: glitches ReadyNAS Pro 6 (rndp6000) - keeps rebooting when network plugged in

The NAS NIC and the power on/off circuit share a power source called "+5VSB", which is +5 volts Standby and has a very small load limit.  If the NIC is drawing too much power, that could glitch the power circuit.  If that's the issue, it could be the NAS motherboard, but more likely is the power supply.  The +5VSB is a common failure because it remains on even when the NAS is "off", since it has to power the on/off circuit for the button and the NIC for WoL to work.

You can try disabling WoL (Wake on LAN) and see if that helps.  It probably won't for long, but it could give another clue.

Do you have a "spare" ATX power supply you can connect externally to your Pro6 to see if that resolves the issue?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Were you able to get the logs?  Does it still appear to boot up if you are disconnected from the network?

Message 2 of 13
lgottli
Aspirant

No once I plug in the network and try to get at it, it starts re-booting.

It does finish booting if I keep it off the network.

Message 3 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

The NAS NIC and the power on/off circuit share a power source called "+5VSB", which is +5 volts Standby and has a very small load limit.  If the NIC is drawing too much power, that could glitch the power circuit.  If that's the issue, it could be the NAS motherboard, but more likely is the power supply.  The +5VSB is a common failure because it remains on even when the NAS is "off", since it has to power the on/off circuit for the button and the NIC for WoL to work.

You can try disabling WoL (Wake on LAN) and see if that helps.  It probably won't for long, but it could give another clue.

Do you have a "spare" ATX power supply you can connect externally to your Pro6 to see if that resolves the issue?

Message 4 of 13
TeknoJnky
Hero

if you value your data, before you do anything your first priority should be to ensure you have verifiably good backups.

as you may be starting to understand, raid is never a replacement for backups.

backups = multiple copies of your data, on different devices, and ideally in different locations (consider fire/flood/theft/etc)

Message 5 of 13
lgottli
Aspirant

I too suspected the power supply, so I went out and picked up a new one.  I did the go big or go home size. This is now a Gold rated new supply, so it should last as long as the last one did, I hope.

After a bit of a fight, I had the new one in, and the system booted with the network connection. Fun getting the power supply in as they do not expose the side with the switch or plug in, rather they jumper it from the case to the ps inside.

I suspect it was as you suggested. Thanks for the response!

Right now it is running through a Volume Sync at 25%. Once it is completed it goes back in its dark hole not to be looked at again:-)  It has been very stable. I just do the occasional updates and that is about all I do.

I tried transferring a large video file back and forth and it did not reboot the NAS. So I have fingers crossed this solved my problem.

Message 6 of 13
lgottli
Aspirant

Thanks, yes it is also backed up to a server Raid 5. I do a sync evey night of the data. I value my pictures and some files.

Message 7 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Which supply did you get?  Is the 24-pin cable long enough without an extender, and are there 3 4-pin Molex connectors?

Others occasionally ask for suggestions now that the Seasonic is no longer available, so I'm looking for a suggestion for them.  I still have one Seasonic squirreled away.

Message 8 of 13
lgottli
Aspirant

I went with a really big guy from memory express. EVGA 650. It is a gold standard power supply so it is not cheap. For its size I am surprised how small. With such a small load on the supply, I double the fan will even kick in.

That has 4 molex connectors (4 pin power), only need 3. It also has 2 -  4 pin power connectors for the mb, only need the one.

No the ATX cable was about 3 inches too short, so I went and got an ATX extension cable. It fit in really well as it is physically the same size. A bit of a pain working with it but doable for anyone that is a bit handy.  It isad they could have designed the board so the mb power connector was at the power supply end not totally on the other side.

It is also modular so you only plug in the 3 cables you need no extra wires everywhere.

Message 9 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Thanks.  The Bronze 450 and 550 versions have been on my list, but I've been a bit hesitant to recommend that line since the fan is larger and there will be some restriction of it's flow.  Good to know it's working for you.

Given the small cost difference between the 450 and 650, it makes sense to go with the big boy if you go for the gold version.  The Bronze still have a 5 year warranty and are half or less the price, so many may want to go with them.

Message 10 of 13
lgottli
Aspirant

The fan opening is more or less right on. I was happy as there was not much of a restriction.

Notice fan is not even spinning as it is under not enough load to heat it up. That was another reason I went with a bigger supply.

Message 11 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Thanks for the picture.  Not having actually purchased one, I pictured there being more fan restriction. 

Unfortunately, I mis-spoke about the Bronze version.  I thought it was EVGA that was on my list, but it's not.  They do not seem to make a Bronze SFX supply.

Message 12 of 13
lgottli
Aspirant

Yes looking at the fan specs, I was concerned how much may be covered. But once I got it in there, and had a look, I was happy with the results. I don't anticipate problems with it. I think the fan sizes are including the case it is in?  not necessarily the blade sizes. I think that is where I won. It is only millimeter coverage I am looking at, even that in a very small area.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements