× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wifi and netgear rn10222d-100nas

tenforty
Aspirant

wifi and netgear rn10222d-100nas

Hi all,

I've been using mesh repeaters to connect to wifi.  They're old and failing.  I can replace them but it is expensive.  Can I just buy something like a Panda usb stick to connect to an existing wifi network?

Thanks -

Model: RN10222D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (2x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: wifi and netgear rn10222d-100nas

@tenforty wrote:

Can I just buy something like a Panda usb stick to connect to an existing wifi network?

The NAS won't accept a USB wifi adapter, so the answer there is no.

Why not connect the NAS to an ethernet port on the router?

Message 2 of 6
tenforty
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, a physical connection is a possible solution.  It is, however, awkward due to local logistics.  I'll just replace the mesh repeaters.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@tenforty wrote:

I'll just replace the mesh repeaters.

If they are old, they might not be mesh.

In any event, you might want to price an Orbi - if you have a lot of repeaters to replace, it might turn out to be about the same price.  Overall IMO Orbi is more stable than mesh extenders, and it has some features that mesh extenders currently don't have (for instance it can provide full coverage for a full guest network that is isolated from the your main network).

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

The latest generation of network powerline adapters (Homeplug AV2) isn't too shabby, either.  The NetGear PowerLINE 1000 Essential Edition gives you both an Ethernet port and wifi extender.  They claim gigabit connectivity, but in practice it's more like half that.  But still in the same ballpark as wifi.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

The latest generation of network powerline adapters (Homeplug AV2) isn't too shabby, either.

The latest powerline generation would be G.hn as promoted by the HomeGrid Forum, first vendor products are out since around September 2018. Netgear seems to be slightly behind the market. The only disadvantage G.hn isn't compatible with HPAV and HPV2 - so all adapters need to be replaced. However, real-world lifetime of powerline is limited - and there is nothing better than installing cables - network cables.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements