Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router app doesn’t show connected devices

ToryR
Initiate

Router app doesn’t show connected devices

Hello,
I have 20+ devices connected to the internet, but only 6 show in the nighthawk app. I am trying to control my daughter’s computer use but it’s impossible if I can’t see it and turn off the connection! They all used to be there and were just gone one day.

Any help appreciated.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Is it seen on the Routers web page using a web browser? 

If it's seen there, whats the HOST NAME of this PC seen on the routers web page? There maybe some special characters in the HOST name that may not work right for the app. You might change it to something simple, no special characters or spaces. Alpha characters and maybe all lower case. 

Message 2 of 29
ToryR
Initiate

I went on the website on my computer and it only directs to download the nighthawk app. I didn't see any devices listed there. And like I mentioned, all the devices used to show up. Just one day I checked and they were no longer there. I didn't do anything to make them disappear. Everything is connected and working, just not seen.

Message 3 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd do a factory reset on the router and setup from scratch. Disconnect ALL devices from the router accept for 1 wired PC. Use the wired PC and web browser to setup the router at 192.168.1.1. Once you get it setup again, connect the 1 PC to the router and see if it appears. 

Message 4 of 29
LongFellow
Tutor

I also have the AC1900 and this has happened to me as well. The router admin webpage and the application both indicate I only have 3 devices connected.

I've completed these steps to get to work temporarily:

1. Reset router to factor defaults.

2. Plugged in my PC only as the router booted back up and set up my network from there.

As I reconnected my devices everything started working, I could see and control my 15+ devices connected to the network. Then fast forward to not even four days later... The admin webpage AND the mobile app again indicate there are only 2 connected devices on the network. If I navigate to the access control page on the web interface, I can see the full line of devices connected but I can only block or allow the devices on the network from that page. I'd like to be able to prioritze certain devices on the network and also see which device are taking up the most bandwidth. Because of this I also don't know which band the devices are connected to 2.4ghz or 5ghz. (except for the 3 it actually shows)  Does this mean I'm going have to be resetting my router 5+ times a month?? My goodness..

Message 5 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

I would post about this over in the NH router forum and let the forum moderator know about this as well. Seems like there maybe a problem in FW which would effect the NH app. 

@Christian_R 

@DarrenM 

@LongFellow wrote:

I also have the AC1900 and this has happened to me as well. The router admin webpage and the application both indicate I only have 3 devices connected.

I've completed these steps to get to work temporarily:

1. Reset router to factor defaults.

2. Plugged in my PC only as the router booted back up and set up my network from there.

As I reconnected my devices everything started working, I could see and control my 15+ devices connected to the network. Then fast forward to not even four days later... The admin webpage AND the mobile app again indicate there are only 2 connected devices on the network. If I navigate to the access control page on the web interface, I can see the full line of devices connected but I can only block or allow the devices on the network from that page. I'd like to be able to prioritze certain devices on the network and also see which device are taking up the most bandwidth. Because of this I also don't know which band the devices are connected to 2.4ghz or 5ghz. (except for the 3 it actually shows)  Does this mean I'm going have to be resetting my router 5+ times a month?? My goodness..

Message 6 of 29
LongFellow
Tutor

V1.0.11.126_10.2.112
Message 7 of 29
larryebert
Tutor

With Nighthawk app only two devices out of 12 were showing they were connected even though all devices were in fact connected. they all were visible in the browser. the R7000 router Firmware and App versions are the latest, v1.1.11.126 and 2.10.6.1635 respectively. I have tried factory reset of the router which worked for about an hour than reverted back to the same issue. App removal and reinstall did nothing.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0, Dual Band
Message 8 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Was this working on prior version of FW by chance or has been been happening all along?

@larryebert wrote:

With Nighthawk app only two devices out of 12 were showing they were connected even though all devices were in fact connected. they all were visible in the browser. the R7000 router Firmware and App versions are the latest, v1.1.11.126 and 2.10.6.1635 respectively. I have tried factory reset of the router which worked for about an hour than reverted back to the same issue. App removal and reinstall did nothing.

Message 9 of 29
larryebert
Tutor

I think in the distant past this issue occurred sporadically. I spoke briefly with a tech and he said to try changing the Router password. I'm not keen on doing that because it requires changing it in all of the devices. And I'm seeing all the devices in the browser.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0, Dual Band
Message 10 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Router login or wifi password?

@larryebert wrote:

I think in the distant past this issue occurred sporadically. I spoke briefly with a tech and he said to try changing the Router password. I'm not keen on doing that because it requires changing it in all of the devices. And I'm seeing all the devices in the browser.

Message 11 of 29
stuart_k_rogers
Initiate

I'm seeing the same problem on an R7000 with V1.0.11.126_10.2.112.   Is this something Netgear is fixing?

Message 12 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@stuart_k_rogers wrote:

I'm seeing the same problem on an R7000 with V1.0.11.126_10.2.112.   Is this something Netgear is fixing?

Message 13 of 29
emporer_elric
Initiate

Same issue. Was working fine until one day it was not. I can only see two devices on my Nighthawk app. When I log into the router on a web page, I see the same two devices listed there. I am currently connected using a device which does not show up in attached devices. I can switch to Access Control and all my devices are listed. I just have to find them by MAC addess which is not as straighforward.

Things I have tried so far (but have not worked for me):

Deleted Nighthawk app and reinstalled it

Tried different browsers

Rebooted router

Changed the channel on the router (rebooted)

Downgraded my firmware to the next lower level (rebooted)

I have not performed a factory reset because I've read where several people say that works for a few hours then the problem resurfaces.

It's weird this just started all of a sudden.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 14 of 29
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue on my R6700v3. I was getting the router logon timeout error when using the nighthawk app, so rebooted the router and can only see 4 connected devices now. Anyone find a fix?
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 15 of 29
larryebert
Tutor

I had the same problem. I Uninstalled and reinstalled  Nighthawk App and did a factory reset of the router and followed the setup instructions exactly as directed using the Nighthawk App which included disconnecting router from modem and rebooting modem. I was then able to login to the app and all devices were visible on the Nighthawk App and the Browser. I guess sometimes firmware updates can create this issue. The Factory reset gets rid of the older incompatible firmware. Now, when I change Device names, they have been staying changed but I first changed them in the browser then in the app.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 16 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

@larryebert wrote:

I had the same problem. I Uninstalled and reinstalled  Nighthawk App and did a factory reset of the router and followed the setup instructions exactly as directed using the Nighthawk App which included disconnecting router from modem and rebooting modem. I was then able to login to the app and all devices were visible on the Nighthawk App and the Browser. I guess sometimes firmware updates can create this issue. The Factory reset gets rid of the older incompatible firmware. A reset does not get "rid" of older incompatible FW. Prior FW code is over written by newer FW code when thats applied. Resets just clears out all user set configurations on the router. May clear out lingering FW code.

Now, when I change Device names, they have been staying changed but I first changed them in the browser then in the app.

Message 17 of 29
Jaragon
Star

I to am having same issues. Not showing all connected devices on app as it used to.
Message 18 of 29
Coolname
Initiate

Same problem here. App on both android an iOS is showing 7 of the 15+ actually connected devices. On web the same. Only when going to access control on web interface, I see more. It used to be fine, but some months ago this happened. Is there a fix already?
Message 19 of 29
jbraun
Tutor

My router 'connected devices' used to show all devices just fine, I think it's something with the latest firmware 1.0.11.128_10.2.112.

Oddly enough, my Netgear Genie app on my Windows machine still shows all connected devices, but I'm not sure if that's actually connecting to the router to get the list.  Also, on the BASIC Home page, it lists the correct number of devices (22) but when I click on the link to list it only shows 9!!!  There's no rhyme or reason either, some are wifi some are hardwired.

This bug is aggravating and I hope Netgear resolves the issue soon.

Message 20 of 29
Pacey_IV
Aspirant

I have also updated the firmware to version V1.0.11.128_10.2.112 but I still have the same problem. I only see a couple of connected devices instead of the whole list.

Message 21 of 29
fumaf1
Initiate

Same with me. Using V1.0.11.128_10.2.112 which I upgraded to because I was having issues.  The upgrade did the same thing.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 22 of 29
ccan82
Aspirant

I also used to see all devices on the app, split by how they were attached (5G, 2G, direct connection) and now I can only see 1 or 2 of 9 total.  Rebooted router,  deleted app and reinstalled, etc.  Web version also says there are the right number of devices but in details only shows 1 (my printer).  Very strange as it used to work fine over the last 2 years.  NetGear did something different and they need to own it with a real solution for us rather than chasing our tails with resets, etc.  

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 23 of 29
larryebert
Tutor

Try a factory reset of the router instead of reboot. Follow the router setup instructions exactly on the app after factory reset.

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 24 of 29
Jaragon
Star

Doesn't work. Been tried by multiple users with no success.
Message 25 of 29
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 31 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7