× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 r-apps not loading

Aardappel
Tutor

Dear NetGear DumaOS devs,

My R-Apps are still not working, even with the 2 beta updates that i have patched my router with.

Please fix this permanently for everyone. It is really annoying that i cannot manage my connections at home.

Like this guy mentions, its a 500eu router with not enough service making it worth the 500eu...

If you want your buyers to continue buying your equipment fix it.

Jeff

Message 101 of 136
SirRyan135
Aspirant

I did the 3 to 5 and it worked for a little while then stopped again.  will be moving down seeing if I find anything else that helps.  I also tried to open up on nighthawk app not sure if this caused the issue.

Message 102 of 136
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're using the beta firmware which you should to have the best chance of fixing this issue then you will have to do a factory reset after updating to it if you haven't already otherwise the issue may carry over. Otherwise I will chase the team and see if there is more we can do on this.
Message 103 of 136

I have not yet tried this beta firmware. Where can i find it? It does not appear to be readily avialble on netgear's page for the xr700.

Message 104 of 136
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

https://kb.netgear.com/000061714/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-24-Hot-Fix

Remember to do a factory reset after you've successfully updated.
Message 105 of 136
Hartsgrove
Apprentice

I’ve been trying to send you pictures of my ping doing speed test through your router and then in game it won’t allow me to attach phots. I refuse to create a new thread because this is getting so much attention maybe they will actually legally have to do something. My pain right now is between 80-125 Games are completely unplayable. Also anytime I make a change to Geo filter it gets frozen and then I get a 402 bad gateway error. I reinstalled the .22 firmware factory reset and re-did the router and it’s doing the exact same thing. Geo filter literally does not work at all again if it’s the size of the world or as small as my state I’m still getting put in games with super high ping no matter what. And by high ping I mean 80-125 if not higher. My isp was here three times this week and tested every outside line up and down the block and replaced every wire to my home and inside my home and there equipment to test single is great all numbers are excellent. I actually showed me and I took a picture of the machine with a green checks next to everything with every number coming from their node. I still can’t play with friends after adding them through Geo filter they have a static IP as well. The high ping is completely out of hand. I’ve never seen a router keep placing someone in a game with ping over 80. The only thing circled in Geo filter is New Jersey literally it takes five minutes to find a game and put me in a game 80-125 ping Completely laggy unplayable
Message 106 of 136
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Netgear don't look at the community forums, they only responds to tickets people have made or who have called - that is how they provide their support. I, however respond to every topic that appears in this sub forum and so it would help me help you if a new topic could be made. If you can't upload directly here then use something like imgur.com and link to it and then I can have a look and compare it to your issues.
Message 107 of 136

OK, so I wanted to come back and update this thread. My router appears to be working normally now.

Fraser - I did as you instructed and installed the 1.0.1.24 hotfix. I also followed it up with a factory reset. It has been running for about a week now and i have not once had an issue with the R-Apps.

Some notes...

• I did see this hotfix when researching my issue but nowhere in the notes does it say anything about the R-Apps issue being addressed in it. It only specifies that this went out to fix a security issue. An issue that apparently was affecting many of Netgear's routers. Definitely not obvious that this addresses the R-Apps issue in any way.
  • I backed up my settings prior to the firmware update and tried to apply them after the factory reset but it would not take. I had to go back to all of my devices 1 by 1 and add them back. I also has to set up all my port forwards, mac addresses filters, static IPs ect. In hindsight this was probably best so i can "really" start fresh but it was a PITA as i have about 50 devices on my network

I will keep this thread updated periodically, and if i run into issues with this again i will be sure to post an update. For now, though, my router seems to be behaving.

Message 108 of 136
RPam
Aspirant

Hi All,

I have an XR700 and the network monitor, device manager and qos do not appear. 

Instead the error message appears "This R-App isn't loaded yet, please try again in a minute". I have looked through this thread and tried most of the solutions already.

• Things like setting the retry rate under system information to 5 instead of 3.
  • I reverted the firmware back to the previous version v1.0.1.10.
  • Did a factory reset on the router and recreated my network. 

It works for about 30 mins after powercycling the router and the modem. But eventually the error returns.

I saw something about a version patch in this thread that have helped people, although I can't access it because it is not on the official support page.

Is there a fix for this yet? And if so would someone be able to PM it to me?

-R

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 109 of 136

This is the hotfix that should help with the R-APPS issue. However I will caution you, I have found another annoying bug with this release. I am in the process of drafting a new thread, but just have not had a chance to post it yet. In short, because I do not want to get into the gritty details here, I found myself having to reboot this router at least once every 5 to 7 days because it stops handling DHCP. Many of the devices on my network start to get 169 addresses. A reboot of the router fixes it. Once I have started the new thread I will link it here so the others can follow.

Here is the link to the hotfix. It is actually listed on netgear's page for this router, but it is buried.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061714/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-24-Hot-Fix
Message 110 of 136
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above that firmware link should resolve the issues you're having.
Message 111 of 136
KeBousquet
Aspirant

I too have had the R Apps issue.  Tried the hotfix you suggested. Did a factory reset and nothing has helped.

Please advise.

Message 112 of 136
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I performed a factory reset on my XR700 last night after unplugging and discontinuing use of the Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Range Extender EX8000 on my third floor.  My XR700 is still midway of my house and on the 2nd floor.  I believe something related to DHCP on the LAN side is the issue.  The X6S Extender was retrieving some IPs from the XR700 by way of virtual MAC Addresses for about ten devices on the third floor - but by no means would those additions cap the usable addresses assignable by DHCP.  I only have about 75 devices currently.

The Issue

• Device manager does not load, instead it gives you, "This R-App is not loaded yet, please try again in a minute."
  • You may see the same name repeated for a device is you go to Settings > LAN Setup, then click the Add button (if Use Router as DHCP Server is checked)
  • WiFi signal is great but you cannot connect to the XR700 because it will no longer give your device an IP Address
  • Access to http://routerlogin.net/ eventually goes away
  • Router hangs completely, and even attempting a reboot from the Administration menu item at http://routerlogin.net/adv_index.htm appears to hang

The Fix

Wait for NetDUMA to release a firmware update which solves the issue above

The Workaround

1. Make sure you have good router placement.  Not in a media closet.  Put it in the open and midway of your house if possible.
  2. Make a list of all your MAC Addresses for your devices and determine which ending IP you will assign to it (2 - 254).  Remember to reserve one IP address per adapter your device maintains.  For example, for a computer with 2.4/5GHz WiFi and an ethernet port, reserve 1 IP address for the MAC of the WiFi adapter and 1 IP address for the MAC of the ethernet adapter.  The procedure to finding the MAC address varies from device to device.  You may have Google how to do it for each device. 
  3. Unplug and discontinue use of any WiFi Range extender - at least until your initial DHCP Reservations are set.
  4. Use a paper clip to reset the router as the procedure states in the XR700 User Manual here.  Currently, it states to press the reset button for at least 10 seconds. 
  5. Wait for a few minutes.
  6. On an ethernet-connected computer, navigate to http://routerlogin.net/ in your web browser and after you perform the initial setup, then on the left side bar menu, go to Settings > LAN Setup
  7. Make sure Use Router as DHCP Server is checked and apply this change.
  8. Under Settings > LAN Setup, click the Add button.
  9. Add your ending IP (2 - 254) at the far right of the IP Address field, MAC Address, and Enter what you want for Device Name - then click the Add button.
  10. Click the Apply button every so often to save your additions, but continue to click the Add button again if your have more devices to add, then repeat Step 9.
  11. Click Device Manager and using your knowledge of your MAC addresses, you can click on a device and set its Name and Device Type and then click the SAVE button each time.  Repeat for another device.  I do not know why device manager cannot automatically use the name you entered in Step 9.
  12. Unless you plan to use it, Disable Ethernet Port Aggregation after clicking Settings > Advanced Settings
  13. After testing, set up your WiFi extender if required.  Once your devices start showing up in your extender, they may start receiving virtual MAC addresses from the extender.  You should not have to add IP addresses to these virtual MAC addresses.  In device manager, you should see the IP address you set for each device (still testing this statement though).
  14. If you connect a Mesh extender to your XR700, there is a Enable Smart Roaming setting in Settings > Advanced Settings > Advanced Wireless. If you want to try it, make sure you set it after you have connected your Extender to the XR700.

Tuning Tips

• Click Settings > Advanced Settings > Advanced Wireless and check Enable 160 MHz bandwidth in the 5 GHz band
  • Click Settings > Setup > Wireless Setup:  
  • Uncheck Enable Smart Connect
  • Uncheck Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence
  • Set a short preamble instead of auto for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz
  • Under Wireless Network (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac), select a DFS Channel and a Secondary VHT80 channel, then click Apply - ON THIS SUBJECT:
    On my Google Pixel, I installed the Network Analyzer Pro app by Jiri Techet.  It's "Wi-Fi Signal" menu helps out immensely.  It shows the channel, signal strength, and other info for your 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands.  I cannot verify its accuracy, but it appears to be legit.  Make up your own mind on this if you decide to try it out.  You click the little dualing wi-fi signal icon at the top right while in the "Wi-Fi Signal" portion of the app to switch your view between the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands.

My friend downloaded the app on iPhone, but it did not have all the features I had on Android.  Check to be sure if you are installing on iPhone.  There also may be a better app out there by the time you view this post.

Additionally, other routers nearby may channel hop or your neighbor could get a new one, so the information you see in this app is only as good as when you are currently looking at it.  It is also good for testing your signal from different areas of your house.
Message 113 of 136
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between router and extender to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Be aware that you disable Smart Connect and select a DFS manual channel, some older wifi devices that don't support DFS channels will not connect to the 5ghz radio. Its recommended to leave Smart Connect enabled. Also enable Beamforming and ensure WMM is enabled as well. This works well with NGs EX model extenders. Been using this configuration on a XR450 and two EX7700s. Great coverage and operation. 

Message 114 of 136

The hardware on this router is impressive and i realy love the idea that is DUMA OS, as it has some awesome features. IMO there are a few more feautes that i would like but for an end user gaming DUMA OS is pretty cool.

My biggest probelem is that for a $500 future proof router, it is not getting the support it deserves. 

So as i discussed here previously... I installed the 1.0.1.24 hotfix and i did see improved results. A  couple of times since installing the hotfix i did get the R-APP loading issue, but a reboot didd seem to fix the problem. My new issue is that now every 5-7 days the router seems to stop handling DHCP. The way i discovered this is becuase every week some of my devices stoped getting an IP address and had soemthing in the 169.x.x.x range. Again, a reboot did seem to resolve the issue but it was getting very tedious to do this weekly. Especially because there is no scheduled reboot option.

You could continue to wait for a fix... But as you guys well know, this has been a long standing issue with this router and netgear does not seem to want to support this router for some reason.

What i did to resolve my problem, however, was flash this router with DD-WRT. Full discolsure, you will lose the functionality to limit connections to games outside of your selcted region (not an issue for me). You will also lose your warranty (again, not an issue for me). It is also possible to brick your router. But i will say that this router is now actually stable, not crashing, is handling DHCP and i have some of the added functionality that i've been looking for. This is a do it at your own risk sort of thing, but it has worked well for me.

Yes, i know it is poor form to recomend ddwrt on this forum, but what else am i supposed to do at this point. I had put up with the major issues with the router for many months, and I really should not have had to with a $500 router. 

Message 115 of 136
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 

Do you have a reference for?:

some older wifi devices that don't support DFS channels will not connect to the 5ghz radio. 

I like to separate my 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios with different names and set up my WiFi devices manually, making sure they connect in the process.  I do not trust this router enough yet to enable Smart Connect.  I may test it out though after I see how well it works with my current settings for a few weeks..

Message 116 of 136
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll have to check with the mfrs of your wifi devices to check for DFS support. 

Understand. Seen many posts in regards to the XR700 not working as expected. I only tested an XR700 for two weeks then sent it back. So I don't have any experiences to share since then. Smiley Embarassed

You may want to try v10 FW version as an alternative if you seem to have other problems. 

Smart Connect with Beamforming should work well. It does on my XR450 however I presume the radios between the 450 and 700 maybe different chipsets. 

Message 117 of 136
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38,

I thing setting DHCP reservations are what is keeping this router stable for the moment.  As for your tuning suggestions though, I AGREE!  I went ahead and turned off my extender and reset it.  I went back to the XR700 and enabled smart connect and unchecked the "Enable 160 MHz bandwidth in the 5 GHz band" in Advanced Wireless settings.  I also switched my 5GHz to a non-DFS channel and then turned on Smart Connect.

I then went back to the Extender and reconnected it through the WPS button on it and the WPS button on the XR700.  I enabled Smart Connect on it too.  I also unchecked "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" on the Extender as well as the XR700.  I then noticed the signal strenth of the XR700 as reported by the Extender is MUCH GREATER THAN BEFORE!

Signal Strength of Existing Net (XR700) as Reported by the ExtenderSignal Strength of Existing Net (XR700) as Reported by the Extender

I'll see how this works after a while.  THANKS @FURRYe38

Message 118 of 136
TotalEnigma
Guide

I just purchased this router and was experiencing the R-Apps issue described earlier in the thread. I was constantly having to reboot the router to use certain R-Apps, and even then some of them wouldn't work. Turns out it was all my Nintendo devices (1x - 3DS, 3x - Switches) that were causing the problem. I could use all the R-Apps until any of my Nintendo devices connected to the network then they would stop working.  To get around this I had to do the following...

1.  Attach all 4 devices to the network so they show up in the list of attached network devices. (This causes certain R-Apps to break but that's OK at this point)
  2. Completely power off all of the Nintendo devices so they are no longer on the network. Putting the Switches to sleep is not enough, you need to actually turn them off. It is important at this point that none of the Nintendo devices try to access the network in any way.
  3. Reboot the router to bring the broken R-Apps back online.
  4. Go into the Device Manager App (it should work now) and update the records for every Nintendo device. Giving them all unique names and selecting the appropriate device type for each.
  5. Turn on each Nintendo device and check that it is back on the network. You should still be able to use the "Device Manager" applet now.

It appears that even though the Nintendo devices display a device type in the "Device Manager" list, the records for those devices don't actually contain the device type which may be causing the applet to crash.

Not sure if my solution will work for everyone, but it appears to have fixed mine.

Message 119 of 136
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We did identify that as an issue but it should have been fixed in the .24 firmware, did you try that at all?
Message 120 of 136
TotalEnigma
Guide

I didn't need to update to the beta version of the firmware.  I was able to stay on V1.0.1.20 after I fixed all the Nintendo devices.

Message 121 of 136
jonathan0216
Aspirant

your the man that seems to be the issue it works now thank you better than waiting for these guys to answer a phone or send you to the right person, your the man.

@TotalEnigma wrote:

I just purchased this router and was experiencing the R-Apps issue described earlier in the thread. I was constantly having to reboot the router to use certain R-Apps, and even then some of them wouldn't work. Turns out it was all my Nintendo devices (1x - 3DS, 3x - Switches) that were causing the problem. I could use all the R-Apps until any of my Nintendo devices connected to the network then they would stop working.  To get around this I had to do the following...

1.  Attach all 4 devices to the network so they show up in the list of attached network devices. (This causes certain R-Apps to break but that's OK at this point)
  2. Completely power off all of the Nintendo devices so they are no longer on the network. Putting the Switches to sleep is not enough, you need to actually turn them off. It is important at this point that none of the Nintendo devices try to access the network in any way.
  3. Reboot the router to bring the broken R-Apps back online.
  4. Go into the Device Manager App (it should work now) and update the records for every Nintendo device. Giving them all unique names and selecting the appropriate device type for each.
  5. Turn on each Nintendo device and check that it is back on the network. You should still be able to use the "Device Manager" applet now.

It appears that even though the Nintendo devices display a device type in the "Device Manager" list, the records for those devices don't actually contain the device type which may be causing the applet to crash.

Not sure if my solution will work for everyone, but it appears to have fixed mine.

Message 122 of 136
TotalEnigma
Guide

Thanks, glad I could help. Wasn't sure if I just got lucky or if my solution would work for others as well.

Message 123 of 136
jonathan0216
Aspirant

Let me know I’m down you are totally correct can’t be selling garbage when they are using there hard earned money on there products that don’t work the way they claim
Message 124 of 136
jonathan0216
Aspirant

Yea seems to be the issue is the Nintendo i had the XR500 and I didn’t have that problem so I followed what you said to do and it worked great, but that’s a huge issue for people who buy this product just to use it as a router. Netgear should not be sending out products that don’t work it’s been months of these threads and they still haven’t done anything for the people who actually bought this item or even acknowledged to fix the issue which is crazy on so many levels because this Xr700 is 500 dollars this should never happen with any company with products this expensive.
Message 125 of 136
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7