× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

full fibre 900 BT

P44EFC
Apprentice

full fibre 900 BT

Recently had FTTP installed with BT for the 900 dowload package.

Factory reset the router before using as it had the old connection on and setting back up was easy enough and the wizard got me through i just needed the PPOE details adding.

after setting up i am only getting around 500mbps download, do i need to make changes in settings to allow full speeds or should this be prevelent from the start?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
P44EFC
Apprentice

Re: full fibre 900 BT

Thanks for the response ok i will give that ago when i am home cheers.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 28

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It can sometimes take a few days for the router to sync properly with the ISP, during this time speeds can be reduced. However, to check, go to Device Manager and look at the table view. Make sure the link speed is at 1000mbps for all ports. Then go to QoS and disable QoS in the Anti-Bufferbloat menu and see if you get full speeds then. If not then in Internet Setup set the router MAC address to the MAC address of your previous router and then apply and reboot and see if speeds return.
Message 2 of 28
P44EFC
Apprentice

Thanks for the response ok i will give that ago when i am home cheers.

Message 3 of 28
P44EFC
Apprentice

Hi there, it has been a few weeks and i still cannot get the full speeds on the xr500, highest i can see is 550mbps yet im on a 910mbps donload package.

Tried to let it sync for 3 weeks, disabled QOS and anti bufferbloat but no change, set mac address of router also but no success.

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 28
P44EFC
Apprentice

had a look through the forum and this guy appeared to be having the same issue, i am getting capped at the same 550 speeds as he was until he got a new router.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Xr500/m-p/1718140

Message 5 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have a spare router you could use to put between the hub and the XR? If you have that router handle PPPoE and remove that from the XR do you get full speeds that way?
Message 6 of 28
P44EFC
Apprentice

I have the Bt smart Hub and yes get pretty much the speeds quoted.

Do I need to do anything in the ipv6 settings? It’s currently disabled, read somewhere about enabling this, in settings I see auto detect and other options possibly the ppoe and using same login details for ipv4 would be the way to go?
Message 7 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you talking about direct to BT hub? I'm wondering if PPPoE is causing the slowdown and so by putting a router in between to handle it we could determine if that was the case. No you don't need to do anything there. If you do the setup wizard just to the point where it performs the speed test what speeds does it report?
Message 8 of 28
P44EFC
Apprentice

I cant put the smart hub in between as there is no option in the settings to put in bridge mode, ok i will leave the ipv6 alone it is set to disabled.

Speeds are coming back after a setup wizard are around 555 it wont go over that with a service giving me 910 mbps.

Message 9 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's very odd that it's capped it at that specific speed, as you previously mentioned regarding the other person with this issue I think it's work making a ticket with Netgear and seeing if you can get a replacement as well as there doesn't seem to be any settings issues preventing full speed.
Message 10 of 28
P44EFC
Apprentice

Sure thanks for that, how do I go about making a ticket please?
Message 11 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Login here and you should be able to make the ticket: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 12 of 28
P44EFC
Apprentice

says i cannot contact support as my warranty expired 6 months ago.

Message 13 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Warranty or the 90 days of support?
Message 14 of 28
P44EFC
Apprentice

it is 6 months out of warranty actually, the guy on the phone in support commented that it does appear to be an issue with the router so has escalated to somebody else who was going to get in touch, not had a call thus far however.

Message 15 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you've got a ticket number for that let us know and we can try to escalate it from our side.
Message 16 of 28
P44EFC
Apprentice

New ticket number I was given is 42971372

The original was 42971104

Thanks.
Message 17 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thank you, I've passed that on to our team to try and get it escalated for you.
Message 18 of 28
P44EFC
Apprentice

Appreciate that thanks, still awaiting a follow up call since last friday.

Message 19 of 28
P44EFC
Apprentice

Hi guys

Its been over 10 days since i had the two hour phone conversation with the support team, the guy said i would get a follow up call later that day as he confirmed that there was an issue and they needed to resolve but i have had nothing.

This router does not work with my  new1gig speeds and to be honest it has never performed well which i simply put down to my own low bandwith at the time although now i am inlclined to think otherwise.

The xr500 is no longer being used and i have to admit i regret purchasing this now.

Please can you escalate and get whoever was supposed to contact me to do so as this is dragging on now, if this cannot be resolved i need to know and i'll have to consider an alternative model.

Message 20 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I have passed it over so they'll do everything they can to push it for you and hopefully get you a response.
Message 21 of 28
P44EFC
Apprentice

This is my last attempt now, i appreciate you have escalated this as you say but it has done nothing to help...after spending 2 hours on the phone troubleshooting to be told there is a fault and somebody would call me within 24 hours over 2 weeks ago is a farce!

you guys on the forum do a great job but something is not quite right in the other department and i am left with a router that is useless to me.

currently reluctantly having to shop for a new router that can handle 1gig after being let down by netgear.

Message 22 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Really sorry to hear that. I will try and get you on the 3.0 beta asap as that could help, if it doesn't then it provides a perfect feedback opportunity for our devs to see if they can find the cause.
Message 23 of 28
P44EFC
Apprentice

It’s not a fault of you guys you’ve always been great at helping out on the forums I’m just frustrated as I was clearly told what was going to happen with regards a call back but that never happened.

Also they’ve closed the case when I login and check which is very odd to say the least.

Ok I’m happy to try the 3.0 beta and see if that irons out any issues I’m having.

I signed up last week for the beta but if you want to send the beta to my email that would be ideal.
Message 24 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just wish we could do more from our side. We have to send your details to Netgear and then they will need to invite you, we've sent you as a priority since you're having an issue.
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series