Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

/31 Subnets

Small-ISP
Aspirant

/31 Subnets

I work for a ISP and just got off the phone with gentleman that that said he had a Nighthawk. When he tried to set a /31 it gave him an invalid subnet error. Searching here I see older posts saying this is a known problem.

Can someone confirm the /31 is still invalid? If it is Invalid is there any plans to add support for rfc3021? Dose this affect all Netgear equipment or just Nighthawk line?

Thank you 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: /31 Subnets

Well would need to know what exact NG model. Users seem to use "Nighthawk" as a over all model for everything. NIghthawk covers many different models. There is is NON NIghthawk routers as well. 

Is this for a Mobile Router? 

The /31 maybe something supported on a ISP side of things however when it some to a LAN side and home users intended target of having multiple devices, this would not be something that NG would use nor be supported on the LAN side. LAN side for consumer home users generally have way more than two device, would not have a need for this kind of configuration and thus this configuration would not work. I just checked my XR1000 on the lan side for this and it's not taking the sub net mask for /31. So I presume NG doesn't support his kind of configuration on there routers. 

/31 would be seen on point to point connections I would presume and thus mostly seen in maybe business or enterprise class environments. I would hope that more appropriate equipment would be used here and not a consumer grade low budget router if that kind of configuration is needed. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What model router is being referenced? 

Since that subnet supports only two hosts and home class routers are designed and intended for way more then 2 hosts, I presume that this may not be support on NG routers. 

Message 2 of 7
Small-ISP
Aspirant

Not sure what model. He only referred to is as a Nighthawk. I assumed they all used the base OS. Also my interest is about the entire line. Customers with Nighthawks generally don't call in with speed test issues. If I need to tell customers to avoid 1 or 2 specific modules that's fine, but I'd rather not tell them to avoid them altogether if they are using /31.

/31 supports 2 host using 2 addresses. /30 supports 2 hosts using 4 addresses. Why burn the extra 2 addresses when thay are over $40 a pop currently?  

We don't do homes in the part of the network I'm in. Recently we started offering speeds lower than 1G. It's attracting business that do not have IT departments so we are seeing more Soho gear and fewer IPs needed. /29 is what most customers get.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Well would need to know what exact NG model. Users seem to use "Nighthawk" as a over all model for everything. NIghthawk covers many different models. There is is NON NIghthawk routers as well. 

Is this for a Mobile Router? 

The /31 maybe something supported on a ISP side of things however when it some to a LAN side and home users intended target of having multiple devices, this would not be something that NG would use nor be supported on the LAN side. LAN side for consumer home users generally have way more than two device, would not have a need for this kind of configuration and thus this configuration would not work. I just checked my XR1000 on the lan side for this and it's not taking the sub net mask for /31. So I presume NG doesn't support his kind of configuration on there routers. 

/31 would be seen on point to point connections I would presume and thus mostly seen in maybe business or enterprise class environments. I would hope that more appropriate equipment would be used here and not a consumer grade low budget router if that kind of configuration is needed. 

Message 4 of 7

@Small-ISP wrote:

Not sure what model. He only referred to is as a Nighthawk. I assumed they all used the base OS. Also my interest is about the entire line.

Try suggesting that your customer tries their problem here.

Working through an intermediate is difficult and slows down the process.

Message 5 of 7
Small-ISP
Aspirant

Not a mobile setup. 1Gig dedicated fiber on a 1Gig Ethernet handoff with a static public IP (/31) in an isolated layer 2. I am with the ISP and the customer is a small business and has bought the router. 

I'm talking WNA side. I cant imaging they use a different verification algorithm for WAN vs LAN so I thing your test likely answers my question. Thank you.

I have seen a few cases like this come across my support desk and getting more info about the problem before issue guidance on how to deal with future tickets. In a previous case the router was return to the store. In this case for the sake of time I  change out to a /30. He had called NG support and they where unable to figure it out, according to him. I saw some old post saying it did not work but was hopeful it had been fixed. 

To your "more appropriate equipment" comment, 10 years ago I would have 100% agreed with you. But the newer power of CPUs and commodity asic in consumer gear has made them very competitive. Custom built asics have moved on the the higher speeds. It's hard to justify the big iron for SoHo use when you can go buy a replacements off the shelf instantly for next to nothing and it's more powerful than what you need.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to find out what Model router. 

WAN side, most all NG home routers only allow for 1 WAN IP address. If this is a small business or business class router, may be different support features. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series