Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5G band stopped connecting to the internet.

ClayL
Aspirant

5G band stopped connecting to the internet.

I have an R7000 router bought May 12 this year. The router is connected to a Spectrum (Arris brand) modem via an ethernet cable. Most of my 18  devices have been connected to the 5 G band. Recently I have been losing the internet connection a couple of times almost daily and have had to reboot the router to get reconnected. Yesterday I lost connection and rebooting did not help. I am able to connect using the 2.5 band. The 5G and 2.5 status LEDs on the router are both lit. 

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Router or modem or something else?

Additional info: 5G shows on the list of available networks on my desktop. It does not show on the available networks on Genie

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3
Portwey84
Virtuoso

Re: 5G band stopped connecting to the internet.

@ClayLWhich firmware version is installed on your router? Unfortunately, on purchase, you'll generally find the firmware is somewhat behind on the latest version. The latest firmware version for the R7000P is v1.3.2.134. For example, many of the latest posts I've read relating to the R7000 AC1900 version, all of the enquirers have been quoting a firmware version installed on their router that is at least 5 firmware updates behind.

Try splitting your devices into 2.4ghz and 5ghz normal and 'Guest' bands if your router permits it. You may also need to 'tweak' settings within your GUI browser depending on your ISP set up. Above all, read the manual that came with your router.

Message 2 of 3
ClayL
Aspirant

Re: 5G band stopped connecting to the internet.

I checked for updates and it said it was the latest - V1.0.11.116. Yesterday I had activated "Smart connect" in the Nighthawk app. Turned it off and 5G came up in the Genie app and and I could connect to the listing in available networks on my desktop.  Don't understand how that could have caused the problem but it's been fine all day. May have just been a coincidence and If it messes up again I will come back to your post. Thanks for the reply

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7