Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Admin password wont save Nighthawk R8000 Router

jmb-555
Aspirant

Admin password wont save Nighthawk R8000 Router

I have a Nighthawk X6 R8000 router and I am unable to change the default password when in the configuration menu. I hit the "apply" button and everything seems to go ok but the password never saves. If i log out and then log back in it is still the default password. I've been playing around with the router for a couple of days now and this has been consistently the case. I finally got around to holding in the reset button on the back to reset it. I'm assuming the brings the firmware back to factory settings and the problem immediately went away. Could anyone provide an explanation for this? It seems like it would definitely be something to be concerned about. 

Message 1 of 5

Re: Admin password wont save Nighthawk R8000 Router

@jmb-555 wrote:

I'm assuming the brings the firmware back to factory settings and the problem immediately went away. Could anyone provide an explanation for this? It seems like it would definitely be something to be concerned about. 

You have carried out one of the basic troubleshooting moves. A reset is recommended whenever someone has a problem with a router.

A reset will erase any corrupt settings in the firmware.

When you have a configuration that works for you. it helps to save the settings.

How do I back up the router configuration settings on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Then you can restore them if you hit problems in future.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

What firmware version are you on? 

Are you making sure you hit the minimum password requirements?

Or try a different web browser?

Message 3 of 5
jmb-555
Aspirant

I reset the router and updated it to the latest. The issue went away after that.

It gives you an indicator of how strong your password is. For example it will say weak, fair, strong or whatever based on password complexity. It said my password was strong so im assuming i was definitely hitting the minimum requirements.

I was using an updated and latest version of Microsoft Edge browser when i was getting the fails. After resetting the router i continued to use edge and ended up getting it to work.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

@jmb-555 wrote:

I reset the router and updated it to the latest. The issue went away after that.

It gives you an indicator of how strong your password is. For example it will say weak, fair, strong or whatever based on password complexity. It said my password was strong so im assuming i was definitely hitting the minimum requirements.

I was using an updated and latest version of Microsoft Edge browser when i was getting the fails. After resetting the router i continued to use edge and ended up getting it to work.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series