Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't set QoS rules for R6900P

Indiana627
Aspirant

Can't set QoS rules for R6900P

Hi,

I have a R6900P router on latest firmware V1.3.2.134_10.1.66. I'm trying to add QoS rules but when I go to Advanced > Setup > QoS Setup as shown in step 6 at https://kb.netgear.com/24301/How-do-I-set-up-a-Quality-of-Service-QoS-policy-for-a-MAC-address-on-my... there is no option to add rules. The only tab is WMM, there is no Upstream QoS tab. Why is it not there? How can I add rules?

Message 1 of 5

Re: Can't set QoS rules for R6900P

No immediate answer to your question – maybe they changed things in the firmware, I can't find that in the manual – but something more basic.

Why do you want to do this? QoS is an old technology that is gradually dying. I causes more grief than benefit for most modern Internet services. Above about 200 Mbps the only thing you are likely to notice is a slower connection.

Message 2 of 5
Indiana627
Aspirant

I didn’t realize QoS was becoming antiquated. I switched from DIRECTV to Hulu Live for tv and want to make sure my tv is being prioritized for bandwidth as I have been experiencing some buffering with Hulu. I have Spectrum and the speed test in the router admin measured at 180 download speed.

My wife also works from home now and does a ton of Teams calls (tv not being used at the same time). Plus the kids have all their various Apple devices. So just want to make sure everybody can do what they want with no issues.

So should I disable QoS?
Message 3 of 5

@Indiana627 wrote:
I have Spectrum and the speed test in the router admin measured at 180 download speed.

That's getting into the zone where QoS becomes more a hindrance than a help. It was designed for gamers when Internet speeds were staggering along sub 100 Mbps and when DSL was exciting us all at 60 Mbps.

It should be more than enough for Teams and most other activities at the same time, even streaming TV.

I'd give it a whirl without QoS before worrying too much. Suck it and see, and then start fiddling when things go wrong.

I'd be more concerned that the R6900P from 2017 might not have the oomph needed to support a mass of wifi clients.

Message 4 of 5
Kitsap
Master

@Indiana627 wrote:
I have Spectrum and the speed test in the router admin measured at 180 download speed.

What download capacity are you buying from Spectrum?

The router internal capacity tests are inconsistent and inaccurate.  Download and install the native Ookla application for consistent and accurate throughput testing.  It should be in your play store, either Windows or iOS.

From a technology standpoint, your router is getting long in the tooth.  You should definitely consider replacing it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7