Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connect 2 R800p routers through ethernet but only allow 1 to broadcast WIFI

Shaneacook1989
Aspirant

Connect 2 R8000p routers through ethernet but only allow 1 to broadcast WIFI

Hey there!! Thank you to anyone in advance that can help me out...

I have 2 r8000p routers. In short I want to connect them together via ethernet cable and I only want the second one to broadcast wifi.

Modem >
r8000p(router mode with wifi off) >
r8000p(AP mode? broadcasting wifi)

So I know I'll need to connect the modem to the first routers WAN port. Then from the first router I will connect the WAN it to the second routers first WAN port.

From there I am slightly lost. I know the first router will need to be in router mode and I know how to turn off the wifi.
As for the second router I really don't know. I'm guessing put that one into AP mode? Then turn off the DNS service so that the second router doesn't try to assign local IPs. It should work like a switch that can broadcast wifi at this point...

So where am I wrong? Lol
What am I forgetting?

Thanks again for any help

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

@Shaneacook1989 wrote:

I have 2 r8000p routers. In short I want to connect them together via ethernet cable and I only want the second one to broadcast wifi.

Modem >

So I know I'll need to connect the modem to the first routers WAN port. Then from the first router I will connect the WAN it to the second routers first WAN port.

From there I am slightly lost. I know the first router will need to be in router mode and I know how to turn off the wifi.
As for the second router I really don't know. I'm guessing put that one into AP mode? Then turn off the DNS service so that the second router doesn't try to assign local IPs. It should work like a switch that can broadcast wifi at this point...

So where am I wrong? Lol
What am I forgetting?

The Ethernet connections will run from your modem to the WAN port on router #1 which is in router mode.  Then it will run from a LAN port on router #1 to the WAN port on router #2.  When you put router #2 in AP mode, it disables the DHCP mode of router #2 so it will not assign IP addresses to devices.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@Shaneacook1989 wrote:

Modem >

So where am I wrong? Lol
What am I forgetting?

The Ethernet connections will run from your modem to the WAN port on router #1 which is in router mode.  Then it will run from a LAN port on router #1 to the WAN port on router #2.  When you put router #2 in AP mode, it disables the DHCP mode of router #2 so it will not assign IP addresses to devices.

Message 2 of 6
Shaneacook1989
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the help. Yes DHCP not DNS, that's what I meant lol.
Message 3 of 6
Shaneacook1989
Aspirant

Do I need to go into router #2 and give it a static ip address? Or will router number #1 do that automatically?
Message 4 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@Shaneacook1989 wrote:
Do I need to go into router #2 and give it a static ip address? Or will router number #1 do that automatically?

Yes, a static IP address is a good idea.  Write it down, access to the GUI on router # 2 will require you to use that IP address.  It would also be a good idea to go to router #1 and reserve that address so it does not get assigned to something else via DHCP.

Message 5 of 6
Shaneacook1989
Aspirant

Thank you again so much for the help.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements