Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DDOS and WLAN access rejected security problems

Larry75
Aspirant

DDOS and WLAN access rejected security problems

Hello.

I am having problems.

Someone who is obtaining my IP address and possibly my WiFi packets is spamming ddos attacks on my network.

This person appears to be attempting to login to my wiFi

I have enabled Access Control and set it to Block all new devices from connecting unless I manually enter their mac address.

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] is still happening even with access control on.

I do assume that the people doing this has my default gateway, router username

How can I change my default gateway and username?

I do have ddos protection on by default, I think. Since every time they perform a ddos attack, it is with a different IP.

Disable port scan and doS protection is unchecked within my settings.(How it is by default) Is this the correct configuration for a router to block ddos attacks?

Here are some of my router logs.

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security]  count 504

(I added all the WLAN attempts into one number because they are throughout the day, different days sometimes. But from the same few mac address that does not belong to any of my devices)

These are the ddos attacks, i took out the ip address.

[DoS attack] NULL Attack

[DoS attack] SYN Flood

[DoS attack] SYN Flood

[DoS attack] SYN Flood

[DoS attack] SYN Flood

[DoS attack] SYN Flood

[DoS attack] SYN Flood

[DoS attack] SYN Flood

[DoS attack] SYN Flood

I did look up the IP address locations that are performing the ddos attacks, (ddos booter locations) With all the IP information lining up with this.

What can be done to fix this problem besides changing my ip?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DDOS and WLAN access rejected security problems

Would be helpful to know what NG product your referring too...

Message 2 of 3

Re: DDOS and WLAN access rejected security problems

@Larry75 wrote:

I did look up the IP address locations that are performing the ddos attacks, (ddos booter locations) With all the IP information lining up with this.

The logs show [DoS attack]. That's something else.

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

Use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

Here is a useful tool for that task:

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

If these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs. Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7