Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Upgrade LED blinking amber

rlmarker
Aspirant

Firmware Upgrade LED blinking amber

Firmware 1.0.4.28 instructions Important Note reads as shown below.  Note 1 says to power cycle the router with a blinking amber LED.  Note 2 says the LED should be blinking amber during firmware update.  It also says to NOT power off the device during upgrade.

I must be missing something here.  These two notes seem to contradict each other.

Important Note:

1. The update process is completed when the on-screen progress bar completes. If power LED light turns amber and is blinking, power cycle the router to complete the upgrade.
  2. If the update progress bar on the web interface does not display correctly during firmware update, you can still check the status using the Power LED.
    The Power LED should be blinking (amber) during firmware update. After the firmware update is done and the system boots up, the LED changes to a steady amber color.
    DO NOT power off or reboot the device during firmware upgrade, it may corrupt the firmware and cause the device not to work.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

The power LED blinks during update. After the update is finished, the router restarts by itself. After this is done and everything is up and running, the power LED should be  solid white or blinking white. If this is not the case, you *may* need a reset

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
microchip8
Master

try a reset by pushing in the reset hole at the back with a pin until the power LED flashes

Message 2 of 8
rlmarker
Aspirant

Thanks, microchip8.  I wasn't very clear.  I am not yet doing an update of the fw.  Before I do an update I needed clarification of the Important Note.

Note 1 says to power cycle on blinking amber.

Note 2 says blinking amber means fw update is in progress and to not interrupt it.

These two notes seem to be opposed to each other.  Could someone please clarify?

Message 3 of 8
microchip8
Master

The power LED blinks during update. After the update is finished, the router restarts by itself. After this is done and everything is up and running, the power LED should be  solid white or blinking white. If this is not the case, you *may* need a reset

Message 4 of 8
rlmarker
Aspirant

Thank you, microchip8!

I think I get it now.   If the progress bar does not display correctly and the LED doesn't turn white, then one must wait a reasonable time (10 minutes?) before doing a reset.

Richard

Message 5 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] These two notes seem to contradict each other.

Netgear documentation.

I have no authoratative information (only what appears in these
forums), but, apparently, for reasons not generally known, a failed
firmware update may leave the device with a flashing power indicator.
If an update doesn't complete normally (or show any progress -- changing
LED indicator activity) within, say, five minutes, then it's hung, and
you might as well cycle the power, because it won't make any progress
until you do.  (Some people have reported waiting hours.)

If it comes back up with a flashing power indicator, then you may
need to resort to the TFTP recovery scheme. See, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096

But, if an update is making normal progress, then interrupting the
power would be unwise.

Message 6 of 8
rlmarker
Aspirant

Thank you, antinode, for your detailed response!

I was wondering if it might be something like what you describe.  Before I turn my router into a brick, I wanted to be clear on the Important Note.  Your reply helped greatly.

It seems that more detail in the Important Note would be helpful.  Although, I can understand why NG might not want to acknowledge uncertainty in the process.

When I do upgrades, I first turn off WiFi and disconnect all cables, except for power and an ethernet to my computer.  I do the WiFi as a precaution, but don't really know if it is necessary.

Message 7 of 8
antinode
Guru

> When I do upgrades, I first turn off WiFi [...]

That all sounds harmless, but probably not required.  There have been
some reports of a settings reset not working when other devices are
connected to a router, but I've never observed that.  On my D7000[v1], I
just do it in situ, and I've had no problems.  (Which proves nothing, of
course, but, if you're looking for anecdotes ...)

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7