Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Lost 5G - Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router Model R6700v3

PG415
Aspirant

Lost 5G - Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router Model R6700v3

Hi there,

I'm having a problem with my WiFi. About a week ago the 5G dropped out and I can only connect via 2.4.

On the router, the light shows them both working and transmitting, but I can't connect to 5G.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router Model R6700v3.
It's running firmware V1.0.4.128_10.0.104.

I've had this router for several years and never had this problem before. Nothing changed. I just woke up one morning and the 5G was gone.

I tried to change the Smart Connect option as mentioned in another post, but when I login and go to wireless, there is no option for Smart Connect or anything similar.

Can anyone help? Thanks!!
(ps - I am NOT particularly tech literate, so it's possible I'm missing something simple.)
Message 1 of 8

@PG415 wrote:

I'm having a problem with my WiFi. About a week ago the 5G dropped out and I can only connect via 2.4.

What happens when you try? Is this with all wifi clients?

I tried to change the Smart Connect option as mentioned in another post, but when I login and go to wireless, there is no option for Smart Connect or anything similar.

I see no sign that the R6700v3 supports Smart Connect. Perhaps this router, from 2018 but based on a  modem from 2014, predates that feature.

Message 2 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@PG415 wrote:
Hi there,

On the router, the light shows them both working and transmitting, but I can't connect to 5G.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router Model R6700v3.
It's running firmware V1.0.4.128_10.0.104.

I've had this router for several years and never had this problem before. Nothing changed. I just woke up one morning and the 5G was gone.

Can anyone help? Thanks!!
(ps - I am NOT particularly tech literate, so it's possible I'm missing something simple.)

On the front panel, the second LED indicator in from the right side is a combination LED/switch to manually turn the Wi-Fi radios on/off.  Push and hold for a few seconds to toggle that switch a couple of times to see if the 5 GHz radio will come on.

Within the user interface, there is a section to individually turn the Wi-Fi radios on or off.  You might turn the 5 GHz radio on/off a few time there to see if it starts to broadcast.

What devices have you used to try and connect to your 5 GHz Wi-FI?

Message 3 of 8
PG415
Aspirant

Hi Michael - Thanks so much for your reply.

- "What happens when you try? Is this with all wifi clients?"

When I try, the 5G is just not available under my networks. It's not displaying as an option. It was there for years, then one day it's just gone. Nothing changed at all.

Since I mentioned I'm not tech savvy, I'm going to assume "clients" means the devices? I've tired to connect via my MacBook, iPhone, iPad and iPad mini. All of them. Same thing. In my "Settings/Wifi" there is no 5G option in my networks.

It makes sense since the router is older, that the Smart Connect option is not available. 

Message 4 of 8
PG415
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

I'm trying to connect with my iPhone, iPad, iPad mini and MacBook... all which were connected to 5G before this happened.

I toggled the LED/switch a few times on the router, with no luck.

Same with the interface. I turned off/on the 5G a few times, and no luck there either.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@PG415 wrote:

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

I'm trying to connect with my iPhone, iPad, iPad mini and MacBook... all which were connected to 5G before this happened.

I toggled the LED/switch a few times on the router, with no luck.

Same with the interface. I turned off/on the 5G a few times, and no luck there either.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

It is a piece of electronic gear.  Occasionally one of the radio transmitters will die before the rest of the unit.

Before you replace and recycle your modem, recommend a full firmware default reset.  Suggest you use the recessed reset button on the back of the device.  It is possible to do a reset from within the user interface. 

The default reset will wipe out any of the configuration settings you have in place.  It will require a full reconfiguration from scratch unless you saved off a backup configuration file.  Even then, restoring a backup configuration file will often restore the problem at the same time.

Message 6 of 8
PG415
Aspirant

Thanks Kitsap!

I’ve actually done a factory reset once already, and I’m reluctant to do it again since it was such a pain the first time around.

If there are no other options you can think of, I’ll just have to resign myself to the fact that one of the transmitters died and I’ll need to purchase a new one.

As for now I’m getting by on the 2.4G.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions!
Message 7 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@PG415 wrote:
Thanks Kitsap!

I’ve actually done a factory reset once already, and I’m reluctant to do it again since it was such a pain the first time around.

If there are no other options you can think of, I’ll just have to resign myself to the fact that one of the transmitters died and I’ll need to purchase a new one.

As for now I’m getting by on the 2.4G.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions!

Good luck whichever path you choose.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series