Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NetGear R6700v3 Slow speed

t0md0
Aspirant

I'll be honest... I've never really tested speeds via hard wiring on any firmware past v1.0.3. I assumed the "throttling" was mainly a WiFi issue but that's pretty crazy to hear it's also wired that takes a hit.

Still looking for confirmation if the latest firmware is still "throttling".
Message 26 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

I see the OP mentioned that there was a beta offered to the user after contacting NG support. One might contact them and reference that post and see if it's still available.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/NetGear-R6700v3-Slow-speed/m-p/2264220/highl...

Message 27 of 52

@t0md0 wrote:
I'll be honest... I've never really tested speeds via hard wiring on any firmware past v1.0.3. I assumed the "throttling" was mainly a WiFi issue but that's pretty crazy to hear it's also wired that takes a hit.

That's a pretty likely analysis. Wifi is always flakier and has been known to cause problems in the past.

In this case, one theory was that it was something to do with Armor. That is known to have a bit of a hit on performance. But you should be able to turn that off or disable it.

If the speed issue persists with Armor, disabled then it could be the firmware.

But someone has to do a test or two to conform that.

Message 28 of 52
JSebek
Aspirant

I've already done a lot of tests with every firmware I can find and disabling armor in settings. I have a Bachelors Degree in computer science and understand packets, network topology, network layers, what firmware does, etc etc. I'm not some misinformed average user or young person making things up or randomly guessing.

Furry, I appreciate you referencing that post in regards to the beta firmware. I did read it over but also read that the guy couldn't share the firmware due to NDA. I also see another gentleman post right after it that he tried the newest one and it still throttles his connection way down.

I have literally tried EVERY publicly available firmware version and turned off anything that could adversely impact LAN speeds/QoS, etc. The ONLY thing that works is going back to 3.0.66 firmware before they included the Armor code or whatever code is negatively impacting throughput.

Nobody in the known universe wants to pay for a connection speed and have a router they purchased make it slow.

I believe you're trying to help Michael but the only real help would be Netgear fixing their firmware or giving us an alternate firmware without the Armor code that started throttling it. Whatever network inspection code they added between 1.0.3.66 and the next available firmware is what changed everything. They likely have changelogs/diff files internally that show the code that was added/changed and could likely fix this issue for all of us that doesn't turn our router into a paperweight.

This issue is affecting people with even 200mbit/300mbit connections. They're calling their ISPs support trying to figure out why they're not getting the speeds they pay for, etc.

This is something that should have been resolved when it was first reported back in 2019. If you do a Google search for 6700v3 LAN speeds you'll see there are loads of discussions about it.

Anyway, if someone does convince Netgear to fix it or find a solution that works, please let us know. Until then I guess I'm stuck at 1.0.366 or spending more money on something I could be using for another item I need to get a new router just for normal LAN wired speeds.
Message 29 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Nobody has posted that brand and model# ISP modem/ONT they have connected with the R6700. 

How are you speed testing? Wired or wireless?

What devices are you speed testing with?

Wired speeds should be to spec if after a factory reset and setup from scratch with out Access Controls, Armor, Circle, QoS or Traffic Meter being enabled I would expect. CAT6 LAN cable is recommended between the router and Modem or ONT. I presume this mode router has HW NAT or Cut-Thru acceleration support which is needed for higher speeds on the wire up to 1Gb. 

Wireless speeds will never see anything near 900mpbs thru this router. Probably max out at around 300-400Mpbs on 5Ghz maybe depending on wireless device design and support. 

I see v1.0.2.56 as a early version of FW. Wondering if this would change anything. 

I've asked NG about if the beta that was mentioned could be posted or made available. No feedback yet. 

Message 30 of 52
t0md0
Aspirant

The conflicting information from 15 and 16 on this thread.. mainly 16 where they stated the latest v1.0.4.128 appears to be working fine. Then someone else the very next message stated that it does work.

And now, @JSebek you're also saying nothing outside of v1.0.3.66 and prior will work correctly. Ugh so frustrating. I suppose I could update it and test it out but I just want to waste my time anymore and have to "roll back" the firmware if it doesn't work. @JSebek are you also experiencing slow speeds for WiFi wireless or just hardwire?
Message 31 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

How are you speed testing? Wired or wireless?

What devices are you speed testing with?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Message 32 of 52
alchle
Star

I was the one that worked with NetGear and tested several beta firmwares.  Here is a screenshot of the one that worked (version 1.0.4.129_22.9.24).  I apologize I cannot share it though. I was really hoping NetGear would have published it by now knowing how big of an issue it is. Kind of shocking they haven't.  Only 1.0.4.128 is posted on their website.  Once it was working, they closed the case, and I never got the opportunity to ask when it would be published to let you all know.

This speed issue is dealing with wired connections on Cat5e or Cat6. (wifi is a long different story)

Capture2.PNG

Message 33 of 52
JSebek
Aspirant

I'm testing wired with a PC. The cable I'm using was provided by the installer from the same Cat 6 spool. If I connect directly to the modem with it, I get Max speeds or if I connect to the Nokia router they provided which only has 1 LAN port.

The modem is a Nokia, I'm not sure what model because it's hard to find a list with pictures of their modems for whatever reason.

I haven't tested WiFi speeds with newer firmware t0md0 because I was more concerned with my wired speeds on my PC. I figured if it was cutting my speed way down wired then WiFi probably wasn't great either.

Thanks for your help Furry, you can literally see loads of posts about this issue. People have been frustrated for years now since that firmware was released. It's disappointing because I like the Nighthawk software and other aspects of the router, but I can't see myself buying another one of their products if this isn't resolved sadly.

I mean, you can see it discussed here all the way back in 2019. It's just shocking that they kept going down the same path with firmware without resolving the biggest problem.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R6700v3-New-Firmware-Slow-Speeds/td-p/177618...
Message 34 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

I've asked someone at NG to check on this.

@alchle wrote:

I was the one that worked with NetGear and tested several beta firmwares.  Here is a screenshot of the one that worked (version 1.0.4.129_22.9.24).  I apologize I cannot share it though. I was really hoping NetGear would have published it by now knowing how big of an issue it is. Kind of shocking they haven't.  Only 1.0.4.128 is posted on their website.  Once it was working, they closed the case, and I never got the opportunity to ask when it would be published to let you all know.

This speed issue is dealing with wired connections on Cat5e or Cat6. (wifi is a long different story)

Capture2.PNG

Message 35 of 52
alchle
Star

If anyone is interested, the case number where they provided the beta firmware (V1.0.4.129_22.9.24) that worked is:

Case #45722758.

Subject was: R6700v3_Slow speed over wired connection. 

Support person was: L2 Joshua

Message 36 of 52
t0md0
Aspirant

For anyone interested I'm using a Hitron EN2251 as my modem. Spectrum is the ISP. Hardwired directly from modem to PS5 using Cat5e and using the built in testing program I get close to my rated 400mbps that I'm paying for. When using WiFi I'm using also using the same Cat5e from modem to router with the v1.0.3 firmware and I still don't quite reach 300mbps all the time but only sometimes. Still better than any of the other firmwares minus the latest one because I'm tired of this constant back and forth. Maybe I'll try this weekend.
Message 37 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Ethernet will always perform better than wireless. 

Wireless speeds depend on configuration of router, environment and connecting devices. With this model router and the age of the tech at the time, you'll not see much over 500Mpbs if that. Depending on devices support and design and this older model router, most speeds will top out at around 300-500Mpbs depending. Speed drops with distance. You'll never see anything near 900Mpbs on wireless on 5Ghz AC. 

Message 38 of 52
Whatarussh
Guide

My ethernet / wired speeds recovered after doing the factory reset twice on the router. The router has the most current firmware and has been working properly for about 2 weeks now. No thanks to Netgear. My next router will be from a different manufacturer, hopefully one that offers better customer support.

Message 39 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

So just curious, What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

@Whatarussh wrote:

My ethernet / wired speeds recovered after doing the factory reset twice on the router. The router has the most current firmware and has been working properly for about 2 weeks now. No thanks to Netgear. My next router will be from a different manufacturer, hopefully one that offers better customer support.

Message 40 of 52
t0md0
Aspirant

How do you factory reset? Just press the little button on the back?
Message 41 of 52
t0md0
Aspirant

@Whatarussh how are your WiFi speeds?
Message 42 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes or by the ERASE function on the routers web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/24233/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-router

I prefer this method over the button press. 

@t0md0 wrote:

Message 43 of 52

@t0md0 wrote:

By far the easiest and quickest route, especially when you are locked out of the device.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support 

Opinions vary as to how long you should press it. 10 seconds seems to be a happy medium. If it fails, try longer.

You should see signs of action when you press the thing. The LEDs go into disco mode and start flashing. Then you can sit back and wait for Santa to arrive.

Message 44 of 52
JSebek
Aspirant

Furry, any luck getting NG to provide access to the working firmware by any chance?
Message 45 of 52
Whatarussh
Guide

My router is paired with a very basic DOCS 3.0 Motorola Modeum.

The wired speeds are around 400 mbits and wifi hover around 300 mbits. Our ISP plan is up to 400 mbits.

The factory reset button is inside the small hole on the back of the router. You need a toothpick or somehting similar in size to fit in and then hold the button down for at least 7 seconds. After that you need to setup the router as if it is new. I had to do this twice before the spreeds recovered and matched our ISP package.

Good Luck everyone.

Message 46 of 52
Whatarussh
Guide

The factory reset button is inside the small hole on the back of the router. You need a toothpick or somehting similar in size to fit in and then hold the button down for at least 7 seconds. After that you need to setup the router as if it is new. I had to do this twice before the spreeds recovered and matched our ISP package.

Message 47 of 52
Whatarussh
Guide

I have a pretty basic DOCS3.0 Motorola Modem, model  MB7621, not provided by the ISP

Message 48 of 52
t0md0
Aspirant

@Whatarussh did you factory reset it twice back to back? Or did you do it then.. setup your network and realized it was still slow then factory reset it again? Also.. I assume you updated the firmware to the latest as the very first step before factory resetting?

Also if anyone cares I updated to the latest firmware (no factory reset yet) and sure enough my wired speeds took a huge dump around 150mbps max. The wireless speeds also doesn't quite reach 400mbps (what I pay for) and I can't seem past 250mbps like someone else here also mentioned. At least with the v1.0.3 firmware the wired was actually more.. 500mbps+ but wireless was around 300mbps (still not the 400mbps).

So far the v1.0.3 seems to be the happy medium.. still not very happy with it as far as wireless goes. I will try to factory reset on the latest firmware later and I'll report back.
Message 49 of 52
Whatarussh
Guide

@t0md0 the router already had the lastest firmware before doing the factory reset. After the 1st reset I did the new router setup and tested the speed, it was still throttled to below 250 mbits. Then I did the 2nd factory reset followed by the new router setup and the speeds were no longer throttled and matched the package speed provided by our ISP. By the way it didn'y seem to update the firmware after either factory reset.

Message 50 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 51 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7