Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Highthawk R8000 and wired HP printer

Duster1
Aspirant

Netgear Highthawk R8000 and wired HP printer

I have an HP Laserjet 404dn connected via CAT5 cable to the router.  Light is on indicating the router sees printer.  The printer also appears in the list of attached devices under Access Control, but not under the list of Attached Devices in the main menu.  The printer was accessible and working up until a about a month ago.  I run both Fedora and Kubuntu, if that makes a difference.  However, since the "Attached Devices" and "Access Control" lists of devices differ, I believe this is a router problem.  

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Duster1
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Highthawk R8000 and wired HP printer

Solved, and even less Draconian than I was expecting.  I restarted the IP, then reset the router to assign the printer a fixed IP.  Then restarted the router, but, no soap.  So, I reset the router to assign the printer an automatic IP, retarted and again no luck.  But, I cycled through those steps twice more, and third time was the charm.  What ever had become a problem ceased to be. In any case thanks for the suggestion.  I am still very curious about what might cause a sticky shift like that. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@Duster1 wrote:

I have an HP Laserjet 404dn connected via CAT5 cable to the router.  Light is on indicating the router sees printer.  The printer also appears in the list of attached devices under Access Control, but not under the list of Attached Devices in the main menu.  The printer was accessible and working up until a about a month ago.  I run both Fedora and Kubuntu, if that makes a difference.  However, since the "Attached Devices" and "Access Control" lists of devices differ, I believe this is a router problem.  

Do you have Access Control on your router enabled?

Highly unlikely your issue is a router problem.  Suggest you look toward the operating systems you are running on your computer.

Message 2 of 12

@Kitsap wrote:

Highly unlikely your issue is a router problem.  Suggest you look toward the operating systems you are running on your computer.

Indeed. The usual advice is to track down the printer connection utility from whoever made it.

Message 3 of 12
Duster1
Aspirant

The reason that I addressed the Netgear community is because there is a definable issue with the router. 

The Router offers TWO lists.  One is the connected devices the router allows other device on the network to see.  The other list all the devices the router says are connected.  One list does not list the printer - former, the other does.  That is, the router explicitly is limiting the visibilty of the printer to precisely no one but the router it self.  So, there is an issue within the router, possibly a setting that changed somehow (me, someone I let print, ?).  My question is what might that setting be?  I can wire the printer directly to the computer and things would be fine - for me.  Other users would have a problem.  I don't let my computer act as a print server.

Message 4 of 12

@Duster1 wrote:

The reason that I addressed the Netgear community is because there is a definable issue with the router. 

Indeed, but probably not the issue that you think.

@Duster1 wrote:

The Router offers TWO lists.  One is the connected devices the router allows other device on the network to see.  The other list all the devices the router says are connected. 

Sadly, those are notoriously flaky "feature" that can sometime miss connected devices. They can also remember devices that are no longer connected.

You can find many conversations here asking for help with "connected devices".

So it might be unwise to rely on that as a clue as to the problems with your printer.

Even then, you cannot say that the difference between those two readings is not down to how the printer is configured. It may be missing from one of those because it needs to be tweaked at the printer/computer end.

Did you even investigate the idea of using the HP utility to check the printer's status?  Just in case your conviction that it is a router issue is incorrect.

Message 5 of 12
Kitsap
Master

@Duster1 wrote:

The Router offers TWO lists.  One is the connected devices the router allows other device on the network to see.  The other list all the devices the router says are connected.  One list does not list the printer - former, the other does.  That is, the router explicitly is limiting the visibilty of the printer to precisely no one but the router it self.  So, there is an issue within the router, possibly a setting that changed somehow (me, someone I let print, ?).  My question is what might that setting be?  I can wire the printer directly to the computer and things would be fine - for me.  Other users would have a problem.  I don't let my computer act as a print server.

Repeat question:  do you have access control enabled?

It is not unusual for a situation where access control is enabled/disabled and internal settings are not completely cleared when it is disabled.  The only solution found was to perform a firmware default reset on the router with a from scratch reconfiguration.  Importing a previously saved configuration file would just import the problematic data.

Message 6 of 12
Duster1
Aspirant

Thanks. 

Access Control is enabled, and has been since I put the modem into service four or five years ago.  I will try the firmware reset.  I tend avoid the more draconian steps if there is something simple that someone can point me to.

Message 7 of 12

@Duster1 wrote:

I tend avoid the more draconian steps if there is something simple that someone can point me to.

Quite right too.

It can help to save the existing settings.

How do I back up the router configuration settings on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Then, if the problem persists after the reset you can restore those settings in the knowledge that the issue is something else. As @Kitsap says, restoring the settings is not a good idea if the reset did mend things.

Message 8 of 12
Kitsap
Master

@Duster1 wrote:

Thanks. 

Access Control is enabled, and has been since I put the modem into service four or five years ago.  I will try the firmware reset.  I tend avoid the more draconian steps if there is something simple that someone can point me to.

Yes, the firmware default reset is a PIA.  The level of pain can be minimized with a saved configuration file.  However, imported configuration files can reinstate the issue you are trying to correct.

The firmware default reset has a long standing track record of correcting a multitude of issues with these consumer grade routers.  That is why you will see it recommended in so many situations.

Message 9 of 12
Duster1
Aspirant

Solved, and even less Draconian than I was expecting.  I restarted the IP, then reset the router to assign the printer a fixed IP.  Then restarted the router, but, no soap.  So, I reset the router to assign the printer an automatic IP, retarted and again no luck.  But, I cycled through those steps twice more, and third time was the charm.  What ever had become a problem ceased to be. In any case thanks for the suggestion.  I am still very curious about what might cause a sticky shift like that. 

Message 10 of 12

@Duster1 wrote:

I restarted the IP, then reset the router to assign the printer a fixed IP. 

Restarted the IP? HP?

The fixed IP address thing is one of the tasks that is often done with the printer maker's connection utility.

Message 11 of 12
Duster1
Aspirant

That's way it certainly used to be.  The HP I have accepts an externally assigned IP.  The thing that had me scattering dandruff was the abrupt cessation.  The printer had worked as expected for over a year, and then last month it vanished from the attached devices list, even though the router still saw it and listed it under the Access Control list.  In fact, as I write, the printer once again has vanished from the attached devices, but is printing. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7