Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000, automated firmware updates and incomplete attached devices list

Koopee
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000, automated firmware updates and incomplete attached devices list

I had a problem where the attached devices list was almost empty and did not show all connected devices.

I thought I had the most newest firmware, since the automatic updater did not find any updates until I accidentally found a thread, where somebody posted a link to a more up-to-date firmware. The newer firmware seems to show all attached devices at least for now.

Links to new firmware:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/New-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-136-...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/New-R7000P-Firmware-Version-1-3-3-154-...

Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Re: Nighthawk R7000, automated firmware updates and incomplete attached devices list

You should turn off autoupdate of firmware as it can cause not only problems but is known to have bricked routers in the past, as per multiple posts I have seen on this forum.
Message 2 of 5

Re: Nighthawk R7000, automated firmware updates and incomplete attached devices list

@Koopee wrote:

I thought I had the most newest firmware, since the automatic updater did not find any updates until I accidentally found a thread, where somebody posted a link to a more up-to-date firmware.

Another victim of a broken system for checking updates. That's why we always ask for number when people turn up here with problems.

You did well to do some  more research. Well done.

Too many people turn up here insisting that they have "the latest".

Message 3 of 5
Koopee
Tutor

I had no clue that the automatic updater could be broken. I always though that automatic update search is a fantastic feature to have in Netgear devices but now I feel a bit more disappointed, when there is an another feature in the device that I can not trust.

Message 4 of 5

@Koopee wrote:

....now I feel a bit more disappointed, when there is an another feature in the device that I can not trust.

It works for most people, but there are times when it falls over.

It is famous at missing updates. It has never been clear why.

A better option would be to alert users that there is an update. They can then let the router do its thing or manually update the firmware.

I try to do this by having an automated update check of the support pages for the devices I use. Sadly, Netgear doesn't have an RSS option for checking those pages

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7