Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 Router - New Devices Need To Be Next To Router for Initial Set-up/Connection to WiF

SnowMiser
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 Router - New Devices Need To Be Next To Router for Initial Set-up/Connection to WiFi

The Nighthawk wireless works fine, after devices make the initial connection. However, in order to connect a wireless device (phone, tablets etc), the device needs to be within 10 feet of the router with no obstructions. I had to mount the router outside of the equipment closet, above the door, to help with this issue. Once a device connects to the wifi (either 2.4 or 5gb) it can connect from anywhere in the house. But that initial connection requires users to be next to the router. What settings can I change to make this work like a normal router?

Nighthawk X6

Firmware V1.0.4.84_10.1.84

Modem: Spectrum Cable DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA

Message 1 of 11
Kitsap
Master

Re: Nighthawk X6 Router - New Devices Need To Be Next To Router for Initial Set-up/Connection to WiF

@SnowMiser wrote:

The Nighthawk wireless works fine, after devices make the initial connection. However, in order to connect a wireless device (phone, tablets etc), the device needs to be within 10 feet of the router with no obstructions. I had to mount the router outside of the equipment closet, above the door, to help with this issue. Once a device connects to the wifi (either 2.4 or 5gb) it can connect from anywhere in the house. But that initial connection requires users to be next to the router. What settings can I change to make this work like a normal router?

Nighthawk X6

Firmware V1.0.4.84_10.1.84

Modem: Spectrum Cable DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA

Just to be clear, what model router are your talking about?  An R7900 or R8000?

In your user configuration, do your have Smart Connect enabled?

Do you have separate SSIDs for your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band?

What material is used to make the walls of your equipment closet?

Message 2 of 11
SnowMiser
Aspirant

Using a Nighthawk X6  Model R8000, AC3200

Answers:

In your user configuration, do your have Smart Connect enabled? Smart Connect is NOT enabled

Do you have separate SSIDs for your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band? Yes, each band has a different SSID

What material is used to make the walls of your equipment closet? Closet wall is 1/4 drywall, but the router is now outside of the closet, above the closet door, in the main hallway with zero interference.

Thanks

Message 3 of 11
Kitsap
Master

@SnowMiser wrote:

Using a Nighthawk X6  Model R8000, AC3200

Answers:

In your user configuration, do your have Smart Connect enabled? Smart Connect is NOT enabled

Do you have separate SSIDs for your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band? Yes, each band has a different SSID

What material is used to make the walls of your equipment closet? Closet wall is 1/4 drywall, but the router is now outside of the closet, above the closet door, in the main hallway with zero interference.

Thanks

In the advanced wireless setup, disable the auto channel option for each band and manually select channel 6 for the 2.4 GHz band and channel 44 for the 5 GHz band.

The auto channel selection process can often get into a loop with various devices trying to connect to the Wi-Fi and select a channel.

Do you have any sources of RF interference in the area you are operating your Wi-Fi?  These sources could be cordless phones, microwave ovens, other Wi-Fi routers or gateways?

In the same advanced wireless setup screen, recommend you disable 20/40 MHz coexistence.

Message 4 of 11
SnowMiser
Aspirant

Hi - auto channel selection was already off; was set to 8 for 2.4 and 44 for 5g. I switched it to 6/44.

Microwave/kitchen is on other side of house, several walls in between.

No cordless phones.

Another router acting as bridge is upstairs, opposite corner of the house. Did not have an issue with this setup with the previous router that the Nighthawk replaced, so I am leaning towards the Nighthawk/settings being the issue. I just do not know what else to tweak.  I will attempt to link a new device later and let you know. Thanks

Message 5 of 11
Kitsap
Master

@SnowMiser wrote:

Hi - auto channel selection was already off; was set to 8 for 2.4 and 44 for 5g. I switched it to 6/44.

Microwave/kitchen is on other side of house, several walls in between.

No cordless phones.

Another router acting as bridge is upstairs, opposite corner of the house. Did not have an issue with this setup with the previous router that the Nighthawk replaced, so I am leaning towards the Nighthawk/settings being the issue. I just do not know what else to tweak.  I will attempt to link a new device later and let you know. Thanks

A couple of thoughts.  If you have access to an Android phone or tablet, there is an application on the Playstore called WiFiAnalyzer.  When installed and connected to your local Wi-Fi network it will give you a good view of the radio frequency environment you are operating in.  Such as signal strength, SSID, channel number, etc.  Maybe signals from other devices in your home or from close by neighbors.  There is nothing similar in the iOS world I am aware of.

Your installed firmware is the most current for your device, there is a remote chance it was corrupted during the install.  You could download a fresh copy and manually re-flash the same version over the top of what is currently installed.  By manually, I mean using a web browser on a computer connected to the router via an Ethernet cable.

Have you physically checked the connections to your antennas?  Maybe one is loose or cross threaded?

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, antennas on the router are fold up/down on top of the router case. No antennas that have the screw in port on this model router. 

Message 7 of 11
SnowMiser
Aspirant

All antenna are secure and raised up. 

Used the wifi analyzer on a Fire tablet last month and there are no issues (evenly spread out, no neighbors competing with my signals).

Problem came up again yesterday. Have a firestick in the bedroom. Internet for entire house went down for 2-3 minutes and bedroom firestick came back on stating that there was no internet connection. But wifi on my tablet in the same room was 4 bars strong  and working (extender in that room).  Attempted to reconnect the firestick to the wifi 5-6 times. Every time trying to connect to each of the bands I was told that I have an incorrect password. So I took the firestick and connected it to the living room tv, which has a clear shot to the router, which is 15' away.  It connected on the first attempt. Then, I re-connect the firestick to the bedroom tv and it connects no problem, all 3 bands.

Again, the problem is to connect to the Nighthawk router on the initial set-up, devices have to be very close to the router. Otherwise, when attempting to login, you get an 'Incorrect password' notification. All family members have had to do this one time or another while setting up their phones or tablets for the first time.  Same thing with bluetooth plugs. To set them up, need to be right next to the router.  Never had this problem with any other router we have had in the house.

House is ~ 2400 sq ft and there are 2 expanders set up (both putting out strong signals on connected devices).

Wondering if the unit itself is bad. Got it last November 2021.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

So same thing happens if you turn OFF these two expanders? I presume these are wifi extenders? For the size of home, you probably don't need but maybe one. 

Has a full on factory reset and setup from scratch using a web browser to set up the router been performed? 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 or 149 channel on 5Ghz.

I use Smart Connect on my R8000. Beamforming and MIMO enabled alone with 40Mhz only channel width. 

Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200

Also I recommend putting a laptop cooler under the router for some additional cooling. Helps keep the router cool and helps prevent heat damage to internal electronics.

Message 9 of 11
SnowMiser
Aspirant

I will that a try once the internet needs of the household go down late tonight. Thanks

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7