Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems boosting my signal - seems worse than the Virgin Hub 5.

Deanboyo
Follower

Problems boosting my signal - seems worse than the Virgin Hub 5.

Hi, i recently purchased the Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WiFi Router(R8000).

I brought it to try and kill/ get around some black spots in my small one bedroom flat.. unfortunately though after switching my Hub5 (Virgin) into a Modem, and creating the Nighthawk into the router.. its ridiculously slow..

i was getting 920mbps on Virgin Hub 5, just a minor/small part of my flat is getting under 100, because of the old building.

With the Nighthawk, i was lucky to get 600mbps...

any guru's here able to get me set up correctly, boosting the what i currently have.

dean

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

R series routers may not ever see anything near 900Mpbs on 5Ghz Wifi. Its of older generation hardware and support. Most you might see is around 600-700Mpbs depending upon wifi devices you connect and there design and support and limitations between both devices and this model router.

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/realistic-speeds-wi-fi-5-and-wi-fi-6
https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 2 of 3

@Deanboyo wrote:

I brought it to try and kill/ get around some black spots in my small one bedroom flat.. unfortunately though after switching my Hub5 (Virgin) into a Modem, and creating the Nighthawk into the router.. its ridiculously slow..

The original hub should be more than enough to swamp a one-bedroom flat with wifi.

How did you turn the Hub5 "into a modem"? It is more than simply unplugging things and turning off the wifi on the hub.

virgin hub 5 bridge mode - Google Search

and

Solved: Advice on how to put Hub 5 into Modem mode & what ... - Virgin Media Community - 4993448

i was getting 920mbps on Virgin Hub 5, just a minor/small part of my flat is getting under 100, because of the old building.

With the Nighthawk, i was lucky to get 600mbps...

You won't get 600 Mbps with wifi, let alone 920 Mbps. That's faster than most wifi clients can manage.

Older wifi clients on 2.4 GHz may well max out at 100 Mbps.

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series