Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 will not take static IP address entry

Qu32
Aspirant

R7800 will not take static IP address entry

I can not get my new R7800 to accept a static IP address entry.

It keeps coming up with an invalid IP address entry warning message.

My R7000 router set up and works perfect using the same static IP address

set up.

My R7800 is running the latest firmware.

The R7000 and R7800 never operate at the same time. 

The routers address is: 192.168.55.1

Address I am using on the device to connect 192.168.55.32

Sub net mask 255. 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.1.254

Those are settings that work perfect on the R7000.

The address I'm trying to assign is below the dhcp allocation range.

Let me know if you have any thoughts

Mike C

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Qu32
Aspirant

Re: R7800 will not take static IP address entry

Just wanted to let you know that I got it figured out, problem was in my set up at the mixer end.

As for the reason the static IP works better than DHCP I don't really know other than it really does help.

the Ipad itself never would disconnect but the mixer control app would.

The wifi link between the mixer and the Ipad is only for control data, no program audio is carried over the wifi.

Mike C.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The problem is that the gateway address, 192.168.1.254, is not in the subnet (192.168.55.0/255.255.255.0).

There are a couple of things that are unclear.

First, what device is at 192.168.1.254?

Second, what device is at 192.168.55.32?

Message 2 of 14
Qu32
Aspirant

I did not mean to hit the solution button, Big fingers on a small tablet!

There is no device at 192.168.1.254

The device at 192.168.55.32 is a digital audio mixer.

In the digital mixer I can change the gateway.

I did not change the gateway when I set the IP on the

mixer.

Thanks

Mike C

Message 3 of 14
TheEther
Guru

What does your setup look like and what are you using it for?

Are you using the R7000 in either AP or bridge mode?

Are you talking about the default gateway setting on the router or the mixer?  In any case, it should usually point to whatever is functioning as a router.  But in the off chance that you don't have a router or don't want traffic from the mixer to go off of the subnet, then the default gateway still needs to be set to something in side the subnet.  It can be a non-existent device (e.g. 192.168.55.254, assuming that there is nothing with that address).

Message 4 of 14
Qu32
Aspirant

Hello

My R7000 is set up in the standard router mode.

I'm using the R7000 and planning to use the R7800 in a stand alone LAN connecting the digital mixer

via wifi to my Ipads.

The default gateway is what is on the mixer.

I spoke with a couple of people this morning at Netgear support and the closest work around was to set up an IP reservation.

It involved setting the mixer back to DHCP, letting the router find it and assign an address, going to the IP reservation menu, changing the DHCP assigned IP to the mixers needed static IP, resetting the mixer back to static mode, narrowing the DHCP range back down.

That seems to work now.

Needless to say this wireless network system has to work everytime it's set up at a new location when running sound via Ipad. I operate only the 5g band, at most maybe I'll need to change the router to a different operating channel for a solid connection with the R7000. I was hoping for even better performance with the R7800, maybe the R7800 has a static IP set up issue.

I also tried downgrading the R7800 firmware back down one revsion, I updated it as soon as I unpacked it. The firmware downgrade did not change anything so upgraded it again to the current version.

Any IP address I try to set up in the adavanced static route configuration menu comes back with a error message 'Invalid destinstion IP address" I also tried various gateway address varations.

Thanks

Mike C.

Message 5 of 14
VE6CGX
Master

Could you show us drawing?

Message 6 of 14
Qu32
Aspirant

@VE6CGX wrote:

Could you show us drawing?

Not much to draw, the digital mixer is connected via ethernet to one of the four LAN connections.

I connect up to two Ipads wireless to control the mixer.

I use the static IP on the mix and connect with DHCP to the pads.

Message 7 of 14
VE6CGX
Master

Rule is two routers can't co-exist. If one is in router mode, another has to be something else like repeater, extender or AP.

Message 8 of 14
Qu32
Aspirant

@VE6CGX wrote:

Rule is two routers can't co-exist. If one is in router mode, another has to be something else like repeater, extender or AP.

I'm only using them one at a time, the R7000 is never used with or at the same time as the R7800.

There for completely different systems.

I can't get past the point of even letting me save the static destination IP address.

Message 9 of 14
VE6CGX
Master

If you don't have connection issues with any device, try this; connect the device,

then note the ip address it aquired from DHCP automatically. Assign that address

to that device. Disconnect device and reconnect, look at the ip address to confirm.

Message 10 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Mike,

If you need your mixer to be reachable at a specific address, then I suggest you set it to use DHCP and then set up an address reservation on the router to assign the correct address.  DHCP will take care of setting the default gateway for you.

Now, you also mentioned that you are trying to set up a static route.  What are you trying to do with that?

Message 11 of 14
Qu32
Aspirant

@TheEther wrote:

Mike,

If you need your mixer to be reachable at a specific address, then I suggest you set it to use DHCP and then set up an address reservation on the router to assign the correct address.  DHCP will take care of setting the default gateway for you.

Now, you also mentioned that you are trying to set up a static route.  What are you trying to do with that?

With these digital mixers controlled with an iPad the general thought is that they (the iPad app) stays connected to the mixer better with a static IP route between the mixer and the rotuer. I can say there is something to it.

Message 12 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Can you provide the specifics of the static route?  Are you entering a static route for 192.168.55.32/255.255.255.255?  What gateway address are you using?  Itself (192.168.55.32)?  

I can think of no reason where a static route will help here.  Maybe someone theorized that it will keep the router's ARP cache populated, but that hardly seems like a good reason.  Static routes are usually used to program the router to reach a remote network.  The router obviously knows about its own subnet, and your router is in a standalone network, so any static routes would serve no purpose.  But I am curious if you know the specific behind how it keeps the iPad better connected to the mixer.

Message 13 of 14
Qu32
Aspirant

Just wanted to let you know that I got it figured out, problem was in my set up at the mixer end.

As for the reason the static IP works better than DHCP I don't really know other than it really does help.

the Ipad itself never would disconnect but the mixer control app would.

The wifi link between the mixer and the Ipad is only for control data, no program audio is carried over the wifi.

Mike C.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7