Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7960P - Router failing or?

CogX
Aspirant

I had never messed around with IPv6 settings on my R8500, but given that the current firmware revision (08/05/2022) didn't fix the DNS errors, I took the advice of others posting on this site and enabled IPv6.  It seemed to fix the DNS errors, but alas every so many hours my R8500 was crashing/spontaneously rebooting itself.   After a week and three separate crashes, I once again disabled IPv6 settings.  A crashing router (which then takes a minute or two to boot back up and work again) is worse than sporadic DNS errors... although still unacceptable.

Until I can figure out a proper router replacement (a DEC695 is just really expensive), I've copped out and hard-coded DNS server addresses on my main computers and main streaming device; haven't bothered messing with every device in my house, as this entire exercise is infuriating, but I'm at a "good enough" place right now I guess.

I'm not even angry at Netgear anymore, because clearly their code base has a fundamental flaw in it to be affecting so many products and after this many months without a fix it is obviously something their programmers are simply stumped about.  I'm more just sad, because as I look at reviews of their direct competitor's products and I can't find a happy customer with any of it.  Clearly this an entire consumer product category riddled with buggy code and ultra-cheap manufacturing.

Message 26 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

If your seen crashes across two different model routers, I feel this isn't a FW issue mostly however, maybe a configuration issue or something connected to the router, devices or ISP modem that maybe causing these crashes. I also have a 8500 router as well hand have not seen this with IPv6 enabled to help with the DNS issue. 

I've had my R7960P online for 4 days now with IPv6 enabled by accident so I saw no DNS issues. I factory reset Saturday and no IPv6 disabled, two computers saw DNS Probe/Proxy messages though quickly disappeared on some sites we had visited. I've passed this on toe NG for review. Router has not crashed or auto rebooted. 

Message 27 of 42
CKopp
Apprentice

I have been running for a couple days now with no crashes. I have IPv6 disabled again.  The DNS resolution issue still exists, although it is a bit better than before in that the DNS probe failure message typically resolves itself with 2-3 seconds after popping up. I have gone back to specifying DNS manually on my several windows workstations.

The crashes seem to happen under all different loads. At night when no one is awake.  During streaming of Netflix on a single TV. In the middle of one person doing a web browsing session. In the middle only one person active on a zoom session.  The router is warm but never hot.

Not sure why at least two of us are experiencing crashes with Ipv6 enabled while you are not. But it never crashed before I enabled IPv6 (even with several users and simultaneous 4k streaming on two streams), and no matter what I have tried (6to4, Auto detect, or Auto Config) IPv6 seems to cause the router to lock up.  It will not accept attempts to connect to it, and the machines on DHCP connected to it lose their IP assignments.

My network is pretty standard. About 14-20 devices connected at one time (router typically shows 14 connected).  4 -6 laptops or workstations (never more than 3 actively being used).  3 Streaming TVs,  two additional streaming devices, one Iphone, one android, one Ipad, two printers (only one has internet connection), two NAS devices, two IOT devices - (arlo hubs).  

I believe the device is billed as handling 40 simultaneous connections.  Does the number drop substantially if IPv6 is used?  I

Message 28 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

@CKopp wrote:

I have been running for a couple days now with no crashes. I have IPv6 disabled again.  The DNS resolution issue still exists, although it is a bit better than before in that the DNS probe failure message typically resolves itself with 2-3 seconds after popping up. I have gone back to specifying DNS manually on my several windows workstations.

Ya. I caught these few DNS probes again yesterday. I've passed this on to NG for review. They are looking into it. Again. 

The crashes seem to happen under all different loads. At night when no one is awake.  During streaming of Netflix on a single TV. In the middle of one person doing a web browsing session. In the middle only one person active on a zoom session.  The router is warm but never hot.

Not sure why at least two of us are experiencing crashes with Ipv6 enabled while you are not. But it never crashed before I enabled IPv6 (even with several users and simultaneous 4k streaming on two streams), and no matter what I have tried (6to4, Auto detect, or Auto Config) IPv6 seems to cause the router to lock up.  It will not accept attempts to connect to it, and the machines on DHCP connected to it lose their IP assignments.

My network is pretty standard. About 14-20 devices connected at one time (router typically shows 14 connected).  4 -6 laptops or workstations (never more than 3 actively being used).  3 Streaming TVs,  two additional streaming devices, one Iphone, one android, one Ipad, two printers (only one has internet connection), two NAS devices, two IOT devices - (arlo hubs).  

Only thing I don't have is 4K TVs. Other then those, Just added two IoT bulbs, have 2 NEST Controllers, 3 game consoles, two Apple TVs, DISH Hopper system, 3 printers with static IPs. 2 NAS with static IPs outside the routers default IP address pool, 6 PCs and a Macbook. Iphones and apple and android pad. Have a ASUS GT-AX11000 wirelessly bridged to the router and a RAXE500 wirelessly bridge to the router. 2 NG multigig lan switches, 24pt HP 1Gb switch for main home network and NG GS105 switches daisy chained at the end points. 

I believe the device is billed as handling 40 simultaneous connections.  Does the number drop substantially if IPv6 is used? I Don't think so. 

Would you configure your router as seen here like I have mine? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R7900P-R7960P-R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-...

Keep SSID and password that you set of course.

What is the model # of the ISP modem? 

Only thing we might try on yours is turn off ALL non critical devices and run with a limited count of devices if you can for say 12-24 hours and see if this changes anything. Still wondering if something on your network is causing this router hang since you said you saw this on your R8500 as well. 

Message 29 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

2+ days of uptime with IPv6 disabled with 31 devices connected. 

Day2NoIPv6EnabledNoHangs.png

Message 30 of 42
CKopp
Apprentice

I forgot to mention the switches 1 NG 24 gig switch, 2 8 port 1 gig. 1 10/100.  That was the other guy with the R8500, my backup router is the R6700 (ready to go in box if I completely go down).     The modem is Spectrums, it IS a Technicolor Docsis 3.1 model E31T2V1. I'll take a look at the difference between your config and mine.

Message 31 of 42
CKopp
Apprentice

We have similar configs except:

I am using the 192.168.1.xx IP range

I do not have smart connect turned on

I was using default DNS, but for past year have been using Cloudflare's DNS (at least before  the most recent FW upgrade, I tried a bunch of DNS services including Google and the ISP - did not make a difference on the DNS issues)

WMM is enabled on mine but I can't tell if it is on yours.

I do run Armor, which once I bought subscription a couple years ago, has been on ever since (and I have no way to disable from the web console)

SO far I have been up for 32 Hours, longest time in a while.

Message 32 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

@CKopp wrote:

We have similar configs except:

I am using the 192.168.1.xx IP range < Try setting the range to 1.100 to 1.200. 

I do not have smart connect turned on <Something to try with enabled. 

I was using default DNS, but for past year have been using Cloudflare's DNS (at least before  the most recent FW upgrade, I tried a bunch of DNS services including Google and the ISP - did not make a difference on the DNS issues) < I use default ISP DNS. Sometimes Quad 9

WMM is enabled on mine but I can't tell if it is on yours. <Always enabled on mine.

I do run Armor, which once I bought subscription a couple years ago, has been on ever since (and I have no way to disable from the web console)

SO far I have been up for 32 Hours, longest time in a while. < So what did you change? Disabled IPv6? Wondering if IPv6 and Armor enabled could be something to look at? I don't have Armor enabled on mine. 

Message 33 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

3+days of up time. No Hangs:

Day3NoIPv6NoArmorEnabledNoHangs.png

I'll probably be moving the 7960 off line and putting something else online while we wait for NG to continue to fix the FW. 🙄

Message 34 of 42
CKopp
Apprentice

Well, its been over 3days uptime and no crashes.  The only thing different is that I have disabled IPv6.  As everything worked fine before (except DNS issues) for years, and the trouble started after I enabled IPv6 (both on the 3.88 and the 4.94 versions) I can only come to the conclusion there is an issue with the IPv6 FW implementation and either my router hardware, or something else on my network (although I am hard pressed to see how another device could crash the router only when IPv6 is enabled).   Guess I'll wait for the next FW update and hope that fully resolves using router DNS.  Thanks for trying to help me.

Message 35 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I saw no crashes on my with IPv6 for a short day or two I had it enabled. Not sure why yours is crashing. 

From what I see, users are posting that v.68 seems to be the best version for DNS and IPv6. You might revert to that and hold. 

I've passed all the current and new bug information to NG for review. They've ack'd receipt. So just have to wait for now and use what works. 🙄

Message 36 of 42
CKopp
Apprentice

Yes, I agree. But as I am unwilling to give up three iterations of security fixes, I will go back to specifying DNS on individual PCs.  Also, don't know if this matters, but I do run Armor on that router.

Message 37 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats something I don't run on mine. So something you might try. Since you have had Armor enabled. I'd factory reset it, setup from scratch, don't enable Armor. Enable IPv6 and see if crashes still happen. 

Message 38 of 42
CKopp
Apprentice

Its been over a week, no crashes as long as Ipv6 not enabled.   I have spent a lot of time messing with this, and am more inclined to go to a different companies router than keep messing with this one.  I have considered a reset, but as I have no way to enable or disable Armor, and I have to check and reset all my settings, that seems to be another waste of time.  For now, I will wait for the next FW release, which hopefully resolves all DNS issues on IPv4, and I'll ignore IPv6.  Thanks for your help! Not sure why NG has such a problem getting this DNS issue resolved.  Its a real shame, I have used dozens of their switches, routers, etc. and recommended them to many friends, family and clients in the past. Not so comfortable doing that these days.

Message 39 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try loading up v.68 as well as others report that version seems to be last working version of FW for IPv6 and DNS. 

Ya were trying to keep NG on the DNS issue. I'll presume there maybe a Armor and IPv6 issues on yours that seems to be crashing yours. As of mine, with and with out IPv6 didn't crash and Armor was not been enabled.

Message 40 of 42
CKopp
Apprentice

Yes, I suspect that would work, (as that version worked fine before) but then I am giving up 3 releases of security fixes.  This way is a bit spit-ball and twine, but it works and I am patched up for security.

Message 41 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements