Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000P died one week out of warranty

TSC_R8000P
Tutor

R8000P died one week out of warranty

My R8000P started timing out/server not found on connections one year to the day from when I bought it. Spent the week changing DNS servers, rebooting, firmware updates, etc. No luck. Swapped out router, everything is fine.

Called support who asked me to login to check firmware version. Of course, that timed out too. They suggested I purchase a support plan and they would talk with me further. Would be very disappointed if they don't cover this $250 router one week out of warranty. Does anyone know a way to contact support without buying a plan? TIA

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

If you can get into the router, try installing the .68 version of firmware. The .88 is known for dns issues. 

Try installing that version and doing a factory reset/reinstall. Once thats done, disable auto updates and see how it works

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Support is only free for the first 90 days. after that it is a paid service. 

But there is a community forum you can get help on. 

1. do you know what firmware you're on? 

2. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

3. have you tried other pc/laptops or web browsers? I've had timeout issues on chrome and/or edge at times. 

4. sometimes upgrading the firmware isn't always the best option. the newer firmwwares have had a dns issue that we've either recommended enabling ipv6 (works for some) or downgrading to a earlier version. 

Message 2 of 8
TSC_R8000P
Tutor

1. do you know what firmware you're on?

V1.4.3.88_1.3.50

2. what modem/gateway is it connected to?

Arris TM1602AP2

3. have you tried other pc/laptops or web browsers? I've had timeout issues on chrome and/or edge at times.

Yes, same issue with FF, Chrome, Edge, Outlook, etc. Swapping out router was only solution that fixed problem.

4. sometimes upgrading the firmware isn't always the best option. the newer firmwwares have had a dns issue that we've either recommended enabling ipv6 (works for some) or downgrading to a earlier version.

Firmware was fine until Monday this week when everything went south. IPv6 not enabled, will try that but seems unlikely to become an issue absent changes to firmware or setup. Tried changing DNS servers, factory reset, no luck. DNS is slow but functional times out frequently but gets through after numerous reloads.

I suspect the router is having issues not addressable through firmware and needs to be replaced. Appreciate the time and suggestions.Thx!

Thx for the suggestions.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you can get into the router, try installing the .68 version of firmware. The .88 is known for dns issues. 

Try installing that version and doing a factory reset/reinstall. Once thats done, disable auto updates and see how it works

Message 4 of 8
TSC_R8000P
Tutor

Will try, thx. Any idea where I can download .68?

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Message 6 of 8
TSC_R8000P
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestion. Downgrading firmware from .88 to .68 fixed the issue.

More than disappointed that Netgear was unwilling to help unless I purchased a support plan for a one-year old router, to fix a known problem they created with a firmware update. Grateful that this forum exists and knowledgeable people like you will help out other users. The Nighthawk had been a solid performer up until this debacle. Now have turned off auto-update firmware and will become a late adopted of future updates for safety.

Thx plemans!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, I've ran .84 on my R8000, though with the DNS issue, Enabling IPv6 solves the DNS issue should you want to check this later on. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7