Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyShare on Nighthawk R8000 X6 - USB drive not recognized

HMTerrace
Aspirant

ReadyShare on Nighthawk R8000 X6 - USB drive not recognized

Model: Nighthawk R8000 X6 AC3200 'Smart WIFI Router'

Firmware Version: V1.0.4.68_10.1.75

For several weeks I have been attempting to get ReadyShare to work on two separate copies (identical configurations) of the router listed, entirely without success.

The persistent issue is that the USB media is never recognized, even acknowledged - at least the USB indicator light on the top of the router is never illuminated, and the device never shows up in the 'ReadyShare' (BASIC tab) nor 'USB Functions | ReadySHARE Storage' (ADVANCED tab) configuration web pages.

I have tried several USB media options:

1)  64kb generic memory card formatted FAT in generic (likely USB v2) 'reader | adapter'

2)  2Gb generic memory card formatted FAT in generic (likely USB v2) 'reader | adapter'

3)  2Gb Sandisk memory card formatted FAT in generic (likely USB v2) 'reader | adapter'

4)  2Gb Sandisk memory card formatted NTFS in generic (likely USB v2) 'reader | adapter'

5)  2Gb Sandisk memory card formatted NTFS in PNY brand (likely USB v2) 'reader | adapter'

6)  2Gb Sandisk memory card formatted NTFS in generic (likely USB v2) 'reader | adapter'

7)  2Gb Sandisk memory card formatted NTFS in generic [marked USB v3.0] 'reader | adapter' with indicator light

😎  512Gb Sandisk memory card formatted FAT in generic (likely USB v2) 'reader | adapter'

9)  512Gb Sandisk memory card formatted FAT in PNY brand (likely USB v2) 'reader | adapter'

10)  512Gb Sandisk memory card formatted NTFS in generic (likely USB v2) 'reader | adapter'

11)  512Gb Sandisk memory card formatted NTFS in PNY brand (likely USB v2) 'reader | adapter'

12)  512Gb Sandisk memory card formatted NTFS in generic [marked USB v3.0] 'reader | adapter' with indicator light

NOTE:  All these hardware combinations have been tested in both the UBS 2 and USB 3 ports on the back of the routers.  The cards have all been tested just newly formatted (on Win7, and additionally on Win10 in some cases) as well as 'loaded' with data.

On both routers, neither of the USB lights ever illuminates when the 'reader | adapter' is plugged in.  The newest variable in the testing are two (generic) card readers from different sources, one marked USB v3.0 and one is USB v3.1.  The v3.0 unit has an indicator light on the top of it that illuminates when plugged into a USB port(s).  There is a noticeable delay between the instant of router power-on or contact with the USB port and the indicator being illuminated that is not witnessed when plugging the adapter into a pc or USB hub port.

The relative ages of the routers is a mystery since there is no indication of a manufacturing date on them, but the labels have slightly different configurations and information details between them.  The serial numbers are NOT sequential.

As others have said here, over several years, I have pursued every resource I can find, both authentic NETGEAR branded and on 'youtube', et al, and followed every claimed or suggested path to success, but have never found a magic combination that works.

Is it possible that both routers have some mysterious anomaly that renders ReadyShare inoperative?  They function flawlessly otherwise, behind a Netgear CM700 cable modem.

I'm deeply puzzled and probably a little frustrated, both at the amount of time I've fruitlessly invested in this endeavor, and that so many others have met the same disappointment, with no publicly documented solution.

. . .   and I have LIKED (and always bought) Netgear, since about 1986!

- n

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
EU_Won
Initiate

Yes, this is a recurring theme - sadly.

On MY R8000 X6 AC3200 [ firmware: V1.0.4.68_10.1.75 ], I needed to go to the 'Advanced' tab on the web management interface.  On the drop-down list of options at the left, near the bottom of the Advanced Setup section is an option labeled USB Settings.  There is only a single action item there: 

Enable any USB Device connected to the USB port       Yes   No

If the 'No' choice is selected, NO USB device will be recognized, ever.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
EU_Won
Initiate

Yes, this is a recurring theme - sadly.

On MY R8000 X6 AC3200 [ firmware: V1.0.4.68_10.1.75 ], I needed to go to the 'Advanced' tab on the web management interface.  On the drop-down list of options at the left, near the bottom of the Advanced Setup section is an option labeled USB Settings.  There is only a single action item there: 

Enable any USB Device connected to the USB port       Yes   No

If the 'No' choice is selected, NO USB device will be recognized, ever.

Hope that helps.

Message 2 of 3
HMTerrace
Aspirant

WHOA!  it WORKS

Thank you for the simple abut elusive solution.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7