Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Remote Management missing in R7000 after upgrading to 1.0.11.128

Bill-D
Apprentice

Remote Management missing in R7000 after upgrading to 1.0.11.128

After upgrading from '126 to '128, my R7000 "Remote Management" features disappeared.

Under the Advanced/Web Services Management tab, the checkbox, "Turn Remote Management On" and everything below it is missing.  However, "Local Management" and the checkbox, "Always Use HTTPS to Access Router" are still there.

It's hard to imagine that Netgear eliminated Remote Management.  It's a feature that I use because I also have an R7000 in our other home.  Does anyone else on '128 have the "Remote Management" features?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 17
Bill-D
Apprentice

Below are screen shots both before the upgrade (with '126) and after the upgrade (with '128).

I did the upgrade again and got the same result.  I'm baffled.  Any help would be appreciated.

:126.png128.png

Message 2 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you happen to reset the router and setup from scratch after you applied v128 FW? 

I think i've seen this on my R7800 as well. I think that NG is moving to NH app for remote access instead of using web page access from remote locations. 

Message 3 of 17
Bill-D
Apprentice

Yes.  I previously had device dropping problems after upgrading to v128, so I went back to v126 for a while.  Yesterday, I had some time to kill so I reset before and after installing v128 and set it up from scratch (because that previously cured their numerous upgrade bugs).  I did see a screen during setup pushing their Nighthawk app, but I opted out of it.  

Are you saying that Remote Management via a browser is now GONE for good and I can now ONLY remotely manage my R7000 with the Nighthawk app?  Do I need to go back and start from scratch again and follow their instructions for the Nighthawk app?

BTW from my initial look at it,  the Nighthawk app looks like its not of much use.

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep looks like it. Maybe a security concern of NGs. No idea though why it's removed.

Ya, NH app is limited on it's use. 

Message 5 of 17
Bill-D
Apprentice

Looking at the Nighthawk app some more, it appears to NOT have any way to connect to my R7000 router over the Internet, so it can NOT provide any Remote Management.  Am I missing something?

The release notes for v128 say "Fixes security vulnerabilities".  You would think the elimination of a major feature would be noted in the release notes.  Maybe Netgear's omission of the Remote Management features was simply a dumb mistake.

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend using FW version that works best for you then. 

Message 7 of 17
Bill-D
Apprentice

I looked in the latest User Manual (jan 2019) for the R7000 and saw the following:

Remotely Access Your Router Using the Nighthawk App
You can use the Nighthawk app to remotely access your router and change its settings.
Before you can use remote access with the Nighthawk app, you must update your
router’s firmware and download the latest Nighthawk app for your mobile device.
For more information about how to update your router’s firmware, see Check for New
Firmware and Update the Router on page 95.
To download the latest Nighthawk app for your mobile device, visit Nighthawk-app.com

However, I still can't find any way to Remotely Manage the R7000 with the Nighthawk app.  Maybe they removed that functioality also.

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ther maybe a web management service check box under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings that you can enabled then NG app should work from remote locations to connect to the router. 

NG seems to have changed the remote managment page and how it work in recent FW updates. 

Message 9 of 17
Bill-D
Apprentice

I looked everywhere for a check box and don't see one anywhere.  Although I've experienced various bugs in many of their FW updates, the remote management has always worked until v128.  I could go back to v126 but for security reasons, I like being on the latest FW.  It bugs me that they don't mention this in the release notes or somewhere.  Turns me off about trusting NG in any future purchases.

Message 10 of 17
erneely
Aspirant

The same thing happened with my R6400. I'm going to try to roll back to a previous version of the firmware if I can find one.
Message 11 of 17
erneely
Aspirant

The NH app was useful for checking a router's status remotely, but it's management capabilities are extremely limited. It does not provide configuration options that an administrator needs. It's a moot point anyway because its remote features stopped working correctly at about the feature disappeared from the router.
Message 12 of 17
noglider
Aspirant

I'm very annoyed. Can we expect a response from Netgear?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 13 of 17
Bill-D
Apprentice

My R7000 is on v134 and its been stable but I still miss remote management.  It would be nice if Netgear, as least, explained why it was removed.

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

ttps://kb.netgear.com/000062097/Remote-Management-is-now-Anywhere-Access-in-the-Nighthawk-and-Orbi-apps

Message 15 of 17
noglider
Aspirant

I can access my router from the outside using the nighthawk app. But I can't do everything. I need to work on port forwarding when I'm away. I can't. This is reduced functionality. This is not satisfactory.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend installing a remote control app like Remote Desktop or TeamViewer if you need full access and controls. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7