Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Updating Firmware R6400 v2

vmhoffers
Aspirant

Updating Firmware R6400 v2

UPDATED:  While I was awaiting a response, I decided to try logging out of the 192.168... and log back in and start all over again using the downloaded firmware.  I worked this time.  Hope this helps someone else.

I am trying to update my firmware on my Nighthawk AC 1750 R6400 v2 (V1.0.4 102_10.0.75)  I am doing this wired not wirelessly.

I logged onto the router and there was a purple button right on the main screen saying new firmware was available. 

I clicked on it, and it said that it was connecting and to wait.

Minutes went by and nothing happened other than in the lower left corner of my browser, Firefox, it would flash very quickly that it was "Transferring Data".  That's all I could read before it disappeared again.

I canceled.

Then I went to Netgear and manually downloaded the latest firmware version for my router  1.0.4.120 10.0.91

Extracted all the files.

On the Netgear tab, I clicked Advanced

Selected Firmware Update

Selected the .chk file from the extracted folder

And the same thing is happening. 

I have turned off my VPN and Firewall, to no avail.

It has been over 15 minutes.

What else can I do to try to update the firmware?

Thanks for any assistance.

Message 1 of 7
moarkdsrill
Aspirant

@vmhoffers wrote:

UPDATED:  While I was awaiting a response, I decided to try logging out of the 192.168... and log back in and start all over again using the downloaded firmware.  I worked this time.  Hope this helps someone else.

I am trying to update my firmware on my Nighthawk AC 1750 R6400 v2 (V1.0.4 102_10.0.75)  I am doing this wired not wirelessly.

I logged onto the router and there was a purple button right on the main screen saying new firmware was available. 

Minutes went by and nothing happened other than in the lower left corner of my browser, Firefox, it would flash very quickly that it was "Transferring Data".  That's all I could read before it disappeared again.

I canceled.

Then I went to Netgear and manually downloaded the latest firmware version for my router  1.0.4.120 10.0.91

Extracted all the files.

Selected Firmware Update

To update your router’s firmware, follow the instructions in your router’s user manual. To view your router’s user manual, visit the following support page https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6400v2.aspx#docs

Message 2 of 7
moarkdsrill
Aspirant

@vmhoffers wrote:

I canceled.

Extracted all the files.

Selected Firmware Update

To update your router’s firmware, follow the instructions in your router’s user manual. To view your router’s user manual, visit the support page

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 7
vmhoffers
Aspirant

I put the model number in the text of the message since I could not find it in the drop down list of options. ". Nighthawk AC 1750 R6400 v2"

I DID follow the instructions in the manual as indicated in the text of the original message (2nd attempt), which was unsuccessful.

As I mentioned, logging off and restarting the whole process allowed the update to happen successfully though I am not sure why.

Thank you

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats just a tag that gets included with your post so users know what model NG product you have. Does not direct your post to specific router model forums. 

Hopefully someone in that forum will be able to help out. 

Also review NG download page for your model router and any FW update help there including the user manual.

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 7

@vmhoffers wrote:

I put the model number in the text of the message since I could not find it in the drop down list of options. ". Nighthawk AC 1750 R6400 v2"

To be honest, it doesn't matter where you post this message. The difference between Netgear routers rarely matter.

Nighthawk or  "bog standard", who cares? The problem and solution are generally the same regardless of the messy structure that Netgear creates on this community. Bouncing people all over the paces, without any extra guidance, just makes it even more confusing.

I would only do that after checking that your hardware has a particular Issue. 

@moarkdsrill was spot on.

In future, this is probably the best place to start:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The same approach applies to just about everything that Netgear makes – no need for unnecessary diversions.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7