Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be connected to my router's WiFi, even though I am

AngelaV
Aspirant

"routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be connected to my router's WiFi, even though I am

I was having connectivity issues with my Verizon Fios router. They sent out a technician and the problem was fixed. After my netgear wifi router was reset, I attempted to go to "www.routerlogin.com" to change my name and password back, only to get the messge, "You are not connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.net, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again."

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 11.12.39 PM.png

I clicked on more information and none of their suggestions worked for me. I've also perused through the community solutions and nothing worked for me. I tried the Genie app and it wouldn't allow me to login (it would just keep loading).

I found my router address and made it to the Verizon page, changed the name there but couldn't change the password. I don't want the Verizon wifi. I bought this expensive netgear equipment for a reason. I don't have any anti-virus programs (like Kaspersky) on my computer. I have a Mac. I've also tried to log in on different computers (Mac, Macbook, iPhone...) and browsers (Safari, Firefox, and Google Chrome). I've reset the router, restarted the computer, updated the computer, diasabled firewall and popups. Nada. 

I'm not very well versed on technoloigcal terms so if you can please help me in lay man's terms!

Details

Computer: Mac

IP Address: 173.70.96.177

Router: 192.168.1.1

Provider: Verizon Fios

Netgear: R8500 NightHawk

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 102

Accepted Solutions
AngelaV
Aspirant

Re: "routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be connected to my router's WiFi, even though I

There was a white cable running from the FIOS to the NetGear. It's showed in the old pictures. The new pictures is how it's currently configured and it's worked like a dream since the removal of the white cable.

So to anyone with the same issues as mine, check your cables and make sure there aren't extras. All that's needed is the Ethernet cable connecting the FIOS router to the NetGear and the plug in from the NetGear to the outlet. Make sure you reset when removing a stray, unnecessary cable. It worked for me.

View solution in original post

Message 101 of 102

All Replies
William10a
Master

Re: "routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be connected to my router's WiFi, even though I

Have you tried a lan cable between your computer and router to log in?

Message 2 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

My router and computer are connected by an Ethernet cable. My computer is connected to the wifi and the internet works perfectly. But that message still pops up when going to that site.
Message 3 of 102
Adewale
Luminary

my observation is that routers associate with one web UI address or the other..if your router works with routerlogin.com, it won't work with routerlogin.net

i have a R8000 (X6) with 10.0.0.1 IP and it works with routerlogin.net. My R9000 (X10) on the other hand has 198.162.1.1 works with routerlogin.com. if i try to login to the router UI on routerlogin.net while connected to the X10, i get the same error message

Message 4 of 102

@Adewale wrote:

i have a R8000 (X6) with 10.0.0.1 IP and it works with routerlogin.net.

Netgear says that sometimes a router will adopt that address if it sees a conflict with the modem.Or, in the manual's words:

The default IP address for the router is http://192.168.1.1. If the modem router detects a conflict with a WAN IP address, it changes its IP address to 10.0.0.1 or 172.16.5.1.

That's why you have to start a network in the right order.

Sequence to Restart Your Network

1. Turn off and unplug the modem.
  2. Turn off the modem router and computers.
  3. Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  4. Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  5. Turn on the computers.

The easiest way to find the correct IP address is to use ipconfig in Windows.

Message 5 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I tried both .com and .net but I get the same message.
Message 6 of 102
William10a
Master

quote{I tried the Genie app and it wouldn't allow me to login (it would just keep loading.)}

Have you tried removing or disable Genie and then try to log into the router ?

Running a antivuris program?

Message 7 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I originally tried the site without Genie (just on my browser) but when it continued not to work, I tried Genie on my phone and on my computer. It didn't work either.

Message 8 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I tried restarting the network and I still get that message, even though I am connected to my wifi and the internet is working.
Message 9 of 102
William10a
Master

It is Genie that is the problem are you running windows 10?

Genie does not always get along with other programs it is not Genies fault it is not alone other non Netgear programs have issues with windows and other programs that protect your computer it is not a new problem with computer programs.

Any updates of any type when the issue came up?

Any changes to your set up?

Message 10 of 102

@William10a wrote:

It is Genie that is the problem are you running windows 10?

The new desktop Netgear Genie (Version 2.4.36) works fine here in Windows 10.

Message 11 of 102

@AngelaV wrote:

only to get the messge, "You are not connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.net, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again."

This might be interesting:

Solved: Re: "routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be conne... - NETGEAR Communities

As I read it, JamesGL, a moderator, is saying the the error message is wrong. Nothing to do with wifi.

This may also be useful:

Solved: Router not connecting to network - NETGEAR Communities

It says there:

I realized today that I had hardwired it to the computer but also was accessing it via wireless. There was a conflict. As soon as I disconnected the hard wire everything fell into place.

Message 12 of 102
William10a
Master

I did not mean that windows it's self but other programs that be running in  the back round  on windows Netgear is no the only software that had problems Furuno had a demo for a computer the show it products and if you had any type of vuris protection on it the program would shows errors that were not there.

Message 13 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I'm using a Mac. I don't own any windows products.
Message 14 of 102

Do you have an iThing?

There may be a genie for that. Some people use that to manage routers.

Message 15 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I tried to type my router number (gateway default) into the browser. It took me to Verizon and I logged in, changed my SSID, but I couldn't figure out how to change the password. It created another wifi that I can use, but it didn't change the name of my NetGear router. So that wasn't helpful.

As for the wiring, I'm connecting wirelessly. I even tried to disconnect my Verizon router from my Netgear but that still didn't fix the issue (so I reconnected).

And let me just say, I was so desperate to get this fixed that I called the NetGear customer "service". They asked me for information only to tell me that they wanted to charge me in order to help me. I already paid a bunch for this router (that works fine, I just can't change the name) and I wasn't going to pay more.
Message 16 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I do not have iThing. I actually had to look that up cause I've never heard of it.
Message 17 of 102
Adewale
Luminary

your verizon FiOS is a modem/router so i belive you're not connected to your router but you are accessing the internet through the FiOS. a second possibility is that your Netgear router has been configured as an access point

Solution:

1. disable the router function of the FiOS so you can isolate your Netgear router signals (assumption is that your router is not working as an AP).

2. if you have to, do a hard reset on your router, switch off the wifi adapter on your macbook and connect to the netgear router via an ethernet cable. and try to login to the router UI again

Message 18 of 102
Adewale
Luminary

@michaelkenward wrote:

Do you have an iThing?

Did you mean a Samsung iThing?

Message 19 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I'm not very knowledgeable on this topic so I don't know if I'll answer this well.

I'm connected to the Netgear network and I can access the Internet just fine. Our FIOS had crapped out and we hadn't been able to connect to the Internet. Now that the router has been replaced, the Internet works again.

I have no idea how to disable FIOS router function either. And we'd prefer not to mess too much with the FIOS because they just sent us a new router and fixed it, and if it craps out again we get charged by Verizon.
Message 20 of 102
LeeH
Prodigy

If you call your ISP (Verizon), they should be able to configure your modem as a bridge instead of being a router remotely at no charge to you.

Message 21 of 102
William10a
Master

Bright house modems also have a router made in to them  you can  access at a limit level to get some control but if you use both the modem and router functions you paids rental fees on both.

Message 22 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

But would doing that help the situation with the NetGear router login?
Message 23 of 102
William10a
Master

If the modem/router is in bridge mode the router including it's wifi will be disable and the Netgear router can function normally.

Get the make and model of your modem and down the manual for it or you may have to your isp set the modem to bridge for you depending on the degree of control they have over the modem.

Message 24 of 102

@AngelaV wrote:
But would doing that help the situation with the NetGear router login?

Excellent question. The answer you got is not clear to me. It looks like a major detour from the issue in hand. I fear that we are getting lost in a fog of confusion.

Let's get back to basics. Things seem to be working, so do you really need to change anything?

Oh, and your first message referred to a "Verizon Fios router". I assume that this is a modem/router.

Did you follow this:

Re: "routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be conne... - NETGEAR Communities

when you restarted the network? The order is important when you have a modem and a router talking to each other.

Message 25 of 102
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 101 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7