Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Has anyone got AP mode to work on SXK80, with FW 3.2.6.102?

Synica1
Guide

Has anyone got AP mode to work on SXK80, with FW 3.2.6.102?

Hey all,

Has anyone had any luck getting the SXK80 set (SXR80 router, w/ 1 SXS80 satellite) working in AP mode?  I figured I'd try again on the new firmware (3.2.6.102), but no joy.  It works fine in router mode, but trying to switch to AP mode invariably ends up in it "hanging" with the infamous magenta light.  Same thing when I try and set it up as an AP following a factory reset.

At first I thought it might be a conflict with my GC728X switch, but I've double and triple checked to ensure that IGMP snooping and STP is disabled.  Side note:  How can you seriously call this Orbi Pro kit as ready for small business, when it can't even be connected to one of Netgear's own small business switches?  

Any hints would be welcome at this point.  

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
thernus
Guide

I experienced some issues with these units as well, I started out with FW 3.2.6.100 in router mode (with insight linked) but when putting the SXR80 in AP mode behind my x86 router I was getting all kind of odd issues, in the end I had to unlink it from insight and used the hard factory reset point on the back of the SXR80 and reset it up via the web portal (the factory reset in the web portal also didnt fix the issue for me)

I can also see there is a new 3.3.0.122 for the SXR80/SXS80  with some AP fixes in it so this may fix your issues as well!

https://kb.netgear.com/000064214/SXR80-SXS80-Firmware-Version-3-3-0-122

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
thernus
Guide

I experienced some issues with these units as well, I started out with FW 3.2.6.100 in router mode (with insight linked) but when putting the SXR80 in AP mode behind my x86 router I was getting all kind of odd issues, in the end I had to unlink it from insight and used the hard factory reset point on the back of the SXR80 and reset it up via the web portal (the factory reset in the web portal also didnt fix the issue for me)

I can also see there is a new 3.3.0.122 for the SXR80/SXS80  with some AP fixes in it so this may fix your issues as well!

Message 2 of 5
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Are you Insight user? Did you switch to AP mode in Insight?

Message 3 of 5
Synica1
Guide

@thernus wrote:

Thanks, I'll give the new firmware a try today.  I've lost track of how many times I've used the hard reset button - last time I restored from our saved backup settings, it turned it's DHCP server back on and I had rogue IPs for a couple of hours until I tracked it down.  I miss the days when Netgear stuff just.... worked.

@BruceGuo wrote:

Are you Insight user? Did you switch to AP mode in Insight?

I have the Insight app on my phone, but it's very much "when all else fails," check this.  To be honest, my experience with Insight has been so poor that I prefer the web portals - especially for our switch.  Just in case though, I pulled it up and after reviewing the "recently updated" notes - it doesn't even detect the SXR80 or satellite.  I double checked, and my phone is connected to the SXK80, and has the correct IP on the same network & subnet.  The router is listed under "my other Netgear products," along with my switch - even though the Orbi is less than a year old, and should technically still be Insight eligible until April of '22.  

Message 4 of 5
Synica1
Guide

Ok, went in and burned everything to the ground - unplugged the Orbi Router & Satellite from the switch, and reset the switch to factory default (it's got a DHCP reservation, so no biggie there).  Disabled STP on the switchports for the router & satellite.  Applied the firmware update while they were air-gapped, factory reset them both, and reconfigured everything manually (note: Using LAN port 1 for the WAN connection at 1Gb, and the internet port for a 2.5Gb backhaul to the satellite).  Reconnected the router and satellite to the switch and rebooted them... and it appears to be working correctly - both picked up the correct IP via DHCP, and the router is showing the satellite as connected. 

Insight app still didn't detect it, though I was able to add it by serial number.  Of course, the app shows the satellite as "Mesh Link Status: Disconnected."  Yeah, I don't see the app getting much use, other than the alert if the router goes down.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements