Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Very low speed on 2.4ghz

jcharnet
Guide

Very low speed on 2.4ghz

My router is SXR80, but it’s not on the list.

I have 1gbps fiber, and my wifi runs around 700/800 mbps when on 5G.
I have one satellite with Ethernet backhaul connected. From the satellite I also get the same 700/800 mpbs of speed.
However when I’m on my 2.4ghz still with full signal bars, I’m seeing speed around 4 - 5 mpbs.
I don’t expect 2.4mpbs go to high, but 4mbps is really slow.
Any tips how I can troubleshoot this better?

Thank you,

Joao.
Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 16
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jcharnet,

Are there other 2.4GHz wireless network/s within the area where the SRX80 is deployed? 

Have you tried changing the channel on the 2.4GHz wireless network of your SRX80?  If not yet, kindly try to change it and observe.

What is the current firmware version of your SXR80?  If ever its not yet the latest version, I suggest you to update it then check if the same problem will occur. The latest SXR80/SXS80 Firmware is v3.2.6.100 and you can download it here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 16
jcharnet
Guide

Thank you for your reply.

I am on the latest firmware 3.2.6.100, I don't have any other 2.4GHZ network in my house, but I do see quite a few from my neighbors. My concern in switching and fixing a channel is that the neighbors network could change and be on the same as the one I have selected. I would assume Orbi on auto channel would figure out which channel is best to use, and change accordingly to resolve conflicts. Am I wrong?

Thanks,

Joao

Message 3 of 16
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jcharnet,

Thank you for your response. 

I would assume Orbi on auto channel would figure out which channel is best to use, and change accordingly to resolve conflicts. Am I wrong?

There is no option for auto channel in the settings of the SRX80. 

My concern in switching and fixing a channel is that the neighbors network could change and be on the same as the one I have selected.

That is something uncontrollable since that is your neighbor's own 2.4GHz wireless network.  You can still select other channels for your 2.4GHz wireless network on the SRX80. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 16
jcharnet
Guide

Really?

What does this setting do?

wireless network

Name (SSID) -- 

2.4GHz Channel -- Auto(6(P) + 10 (S))

Thanks,

Joao

Message 5 of 16
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jcharnet,

I believe that is the default setting.  I suggest you to change the channel to other channels and observe if the same problem will occur. 

If ever the same problem will occur, kindly open a support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime for further investigation. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 16
GMoGoody8
Luminary

I would suggest a tool like wifi anlyzer for android or inssider for PCs to analyze your environment. I do this every 6-10 months or when I detect similar issues you are having. I am in a very noisy enviroment and these tools are a life saver. there are only three unique channels - 1, 6, and 11

Also remember the the following runs on or can interfere the 2.4 Ghz frequencies

- bluetooth
 - microwave ovens
 - wireless handheld phones, not cell
 - baby monitors
 - IoT Hubs, can create own 2.4 mesh networks
 - Wireless speakers, can create own 2.4 mesh networks 

These tools will also let you know if neighbors networks are set to the greedy 40Mhz width instead of the 20 Mhz

Note: Apple devices can't run these tools as Apple doesn't give access to wireless drivers API. 

Message 7 of 16
jcharnet
Guide

I am using inSSIder to analyze my wifi. I did see one other wifi using the same channel, 6, so I changed mine to 1, which didn’t have any other wifi on that channel. It got soooo worse. Couldn’t even connect to the internet. Had to go back to Auto, and still facing very low speed at 2.4ghz.
Message 8 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Things still possible are either other WiFi devices you won't see on air (no name or network announced), or even worse other 2.4 GHz applications heavily using the very narrow public band with comparable aggressive technologies e.g. for applications like HDMI or other bandwidth hungry, not using WiFi standard technologies at all.

Message 9 of 16
jcharnet
Guide

The spot I’m seeing this very low speed is in my backyard, with no other devices near by. There’s a TV, but I’m testing with the TV completely off, and unplugged from the outlet just to make sure there’s no interference.
Any other ideas I can try to troubleshoot?
Message 10 of 16
jcharnet
Guide

No other recommendations?

Would it help to have an access point closer? Even though the signal is great, 3 out of 3 bars full. Not sure if the AP will use the same channel or a different one.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Joao

Message 11 of 16
lenadavids
Aspirant

@DaneA wrote:

@jcharnet,

Are there other 2.4GHz wireless network/s within the area where the SRX80 is deployed? 

Have you tried changing the channel on the 2.4GHz wireless network of your SRX80?  If not yet, kindly try to change it and observe.

What is the current firmware version of your SXR80?  If ever its not yet the latest version, I suggest you to update it then check if the same problem will occur. The latest SXR80/SXS80 Firmware is v3.2.6.100 and you can download it here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

What if there is problem with microwave thing means this can be interfare the signals then what should we do?

Message 12 of 16
LlamaLarry
Luminary

Is 'Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings" enabled for both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz in Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings -> Advanced Wireless Settings? 

Message 13 of 16
jcharnet
Guide

Mine was already enabled, but I still see a very "dead" spot in backyard, and not sure how to sovle this! 😞 

Message 14 of 16
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Orbi Pro series doesn't have automatically sensing the in-use chnanel is crowd and jumping. It only automatically select a better channel when AP is powered up. To debug the issue, as others suggest, please use other tools to analyze channels status to see if there are many SSID/Traffic in 2.4Ghz channels, or you can try to switch 2.4Ghz channels manually to see if throughtput is improved.

Message 15 of 16
jcharnet
Guide

I used inSSIder to analyze wifi, and I did find some overlap in channels that might be coming from my neighbors. 

I did try to change the channels, but it only got worse.

I'm still wondering if it would help to have an access point where near the "dead" spot. I'm not sure this would help, becuase I do see great signal strength.

And I can test this without purchasing an access point. Any advices?

Thanks,

Joao

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements