Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 7.2.6.21 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 7.2.6.21 Released

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modems power adapter from wall outlet.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Also how is the RBS ethernet connected to the RBR? Directly behind the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? 

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 51 of 182
Mooose
Luminary

@tucsontico wrote:

2) Is it still recommended to set IP reservations  to 192.168.x.1xx?

@tucsontico wrote:

Got it. Do the sats need to be in the IP address range of 192.168.x.100-200 as well? 

This sounds like another case of Orbi voodoo magic that has somehow become forum knowledge because someone at some point changed things randomly in desperation and something started working for no good reason.

You should be able to use any IP range you wish, but of course stick to 10.*.*.*, 172.16.*.* to 172.31.*.* or 192.168.*.* unless you want to risk your internet being broken.

Personally, I tend to use 10.1.1.* because it is easy to type and easy to remember.

Message 52 of 182
FURRYe38
Guru

Users can use what ever they'd like. Just recommendations is all or for troubleshooting problems. 

I personally use the smaller pool size. Been using it for years. Zero issues. 

Up to users though.

Good Luck. 

Message 53 of 182
Theobuck
Apprentice

When you say, “ Turn off and unplug the modem,” what do you mean by unplug? The power or WAN/fiber?
I have an ONT or Fiber Household Terminal (as Cox calls it and there is no way I am touching the fiber it is hair-thin and made of glass.
Message 54 of 182
ellybelly
Aspirant

Ok, I will do my best. I have tried all the stuff you have said in case of turning everything on. I have done a full factory reset in router (twice) and satellite and no change. I have unplugged everything and connected satellite to computer with cable and still it rejects the file. Netgear have suggested a TTFP update, which I have yet to try becuase I have other things to do, but will attempt.

It shouldnt be this hard should it?

Message 55 of 182
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

When you are instructed to "unplug", that would be the "power cord".

Message 56 of 182
Theobuck
Apprentice

So to use the IoT Wi-Fi do I have to reconnect all my IoT devices with a new SSID? I would imagine using the same SSID and password is confusing to the network.
Message 57 of 182
CrimpOn
Guru

@Theobuck wrote:
So to use the IoT Wi-Fi do I have to reconnect all my IoT devices with a new SSID? I would imagine using the same SSID and password is confusing to the network.

Every WiFi network must have a unique 'name' (SSID).  Thus, the new IoT network must have a name that is different from the primary WiFi network and the Guest WiFi network.  The three networks could be named "john1", "john2", "john3".  Whatever.

If you choose to enable the IoT network, it is up to you to choose how many device you want to spend time changing from the network they are on now to the new IoT network.  If every device is working now, why mess with any of them?

If a particular device is difficult to connect to the Orbi, then enabling the IoT network guarantees that you can force the smartphone to connect to the Orbi at 2.4G.

Message 59 of 182
retromad
Star

Does the new iot network use the same channel space as the primary network?
Message 60 of 182
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

Message 61 of 182
Talk2Mike
Apprentice

Updated both the RBS first and both came back online and displayed the updated firmware all OK. Then updated the RBR and after refreshing the web page this also came back all OK. All satellites and connected devices showing up correctly and speed test shows no issues. So for me the update was fine. No power off required.

Message 62 of 182
Foutiti67
Aspirant

Hello i know what is the problem, in the statistic, the connection between rbr and rbs is only at 100M .

Beforce the update with the same configuration (cat7 rj45) is was at 1000m .

What appen ? ( i do reset of all device and it is the same ..)

thx all

Message 63 of 182
Theobuck
Apprentice

Thank you “If every device is working now, why mess with any of them?” makes absolutely perfect sense. I will keep that information in my pocket in case I run into any stubborn IoT problems.
Message 64 of 182
FURRYe38
Guru

I would bring the RBS to same room and the RBR and connect the RBS to the RBR while in same room wirelessly first. Test and check stats. Then ethernet connect the RBS to back of RBR using good quality CAT6 cable. Check the stats on the RBR. Should see 1000Mbps here. 

As stated in the intial post, a power cycle of the system is recommended after the FW update. 

If problems are seen, a factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed. 

@Foutiti67 wrote:

Hello i know what is the problem, in the statistic, the connection between rbr and rbs is only at 100M .

Beforce the update with the same configuration (cat7 rj45) is was at 1000m .

What appen ? ( i do reset of all device and it is the same ..)

thx all

Message 65 of 182
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@Theobuck wrote:
Thank you “If every device is working now, why mess with any of them?” makes absolutely perfect sense. I will keep that information in my pocket in case I run into any stubborn IoT problems.

Message 66 of 182
Theobuck
Apprentice

Is there a KB for’ Check the stats on the RBR. Should see 1000Mbps here.’? Or how does one check this?
Message 67 of 182
CrimpOn
Guru

On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, home page, click on Show Statistics:

This screen show is from my RBR50:

CrimpOn_0-1694993371769.png

Message 68 of 182

Yesterday afternoon I installed the 7.2.6.21 firmware on my RBR750 and 2 x RBR750S devices. The backhaul connection between satellites and router is wired.

While my network has been fine/stable, I have 3 x August Connect Smartlocks/bridges that give multiple connect/disconnect messages during the day so I wanted to see if the IoT wifi update on this new firmware resolved the August issues or not.

The brief summary is that the upgrade did NOT go well, and it was around 3-4 hours to finally resolve the issues with the Satellites not connecting properly, and some really weird behavior.

In more detail:

1. Downloaded the RBR and RBS firmwares
  2. Updated the 2 satellites to 7.2.6.21 which seemed to go ok, although the RBR webpage still initially showed the devices as being on the old firmware that I assumed was a caching or other minor issue.
  3. Updated the router which seemed to go ok
  4. Rebooted the Satellites, and then the Router
  5. Logged back into the Router web page and noticed that the 'Attached Devices' widget showed Number of Satellites as 0 (instead of2)
  6. Clicked through to see Attached Devices and saw 1 Satellite attached via Wire and the other Satellite not connected. (the widget still showed 0)
  7. Went and checked the Satellites and no magenta or other flashing/solid lights. Devices attached to the Satellites e.g. FireTV all worked and I could also connect and login to each Satellite.
  8. Decided to reboot Satellites again, things got worse from here. Neither Satellite showed up on Attached Devices, some WiFi devices started to error on 'No Internet' connection. Yet I could still login to the Satellites by directly typing the IP address
  9. Decided to reflash the Satellites - no differences
  10. After a couple more hours of trying various things I pretty much gave up, I could connect to the Satellites, but for some reason the RBR was not seeing them. Sometimes devices connected to the RBSs worked, sometimes they didn't.
  11. Decided to finally reset the Satellites, remove the cable and get them set up by wireless - this worked and the Satellites showed up correctly in the Attached Devices and widget and Detail page
  12. Replugged in the backhaul cables and waited 5 or so minutes to see what happened
  13. Things returned to normal, Satellites appear to be working, WiFi devices are connecting to Satellites/Router as expected.

So not a smooth experience, but so far appears to all be working now.

It's too early to tell if the IoT wifi 2.4Ghz I have set up will solve the August connect/disconnect alerts issue.

TheSalamander

Message 69 of 182
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to keep in mind for next time you update FW. After the RBS and RBR have returned to ready from getting the FW file sent, Power OFF the RBS and RBR for 30 seconds, then back ON with the RBR then RBS. Seems to help stabilize the system. This is a major step in FW so could see odd things. Why I mentioned a power cycle in this post and as last resort, factory reset and setup from scratch. 

What CAT# LAN cable are you using between the RBR and RBS? 

Are the RBS directly connected to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch and or LAN patch panel in between them?

Glad it's working now. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 70 of 182
Phyber
Luminary

I have the same setup (without the Smartlocks/bridges) but multiple IoT devices. I manually updated each satellite individually first, then the router.  Powered off (including the modem) and then back on again and all is fine. Backed-up the config files as well.

I decided not to use the IoT option and kept all of my IoT devices on the renamed Guest Network (with its own password). That seems to be very stable and reliable.

Message 71 of 182

I realized I made an error in my write up on step 4. I did reboot the RBR first, and then the RBSs second per the instructions in post 1.

I also forgot to mention that in step 11 when I decided to reset and sync the RBSs that the RBR webpage that I used to do the RBR side of the sync showed 'Sync Failed' for both RBS syncs, even though the synching worked and I could finally see the RBSs correctly show in the Attached Devices.

To answer the questions:

• Cat 6 cable - System has worked fine except with firmware upgrades so I see this as more an issue with Netgear software than my infrastructure.
  • RBSs connected into a Netgear GS116 switch

Message 72 of 182
FURRYe38
Guru

So you said you did 'reboot' the RBR and then the RBS'. Is this rebooting from the RBRs web page or actually powering OFF the RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back on? Rebooting and Power cycling are two different things. Just to be sure here. 

I haven't updated my 750 series as if yet. We've tested the 750, 850 and 960 series and hadn't seen these issues during testing. Tried to cover many environments but, not everything can be touched on. 

Message 73 of 182
Phyber
Luminary

I use solid copper core, UTP, CAT-6 cable (non-CCS/CCA) and that has always worked fine for my setup.

One of my satellites is connected to a powered gigabit switch with no issues. The other satellite is connected directly to the punchdown keystone wall jack. No issues.

Manually updating does take some time but doing each satellite individually first, then the router, and then a simple power cycling of the system including the modem (which is a Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 modem) seems to work best for us.

Message 74 of 182

The RBSs were power cycled by removing the power cable for 60 seconds.

The RBR was power cycled one time, by removing the power cable for 60 seconds, and rebooted a second time using the GUI 'reboot' button.

So far, 36 hours later things are stable and seem good. I have not seen August connect/disconnect messages yet which seems hopeful, but will monitor for a few more days.

If things seem stable then I will look to upgrade my RBR/RBS850 I have at another location to see if that also reduces/stops the August connect/disconnect. At least I am better prepared for handling misbehaving RBSs.

thanks

Message 75 of 182
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7