Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850/RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.9.11 Released

CrimpOn
Guru

@scorn242 wrote:

The attached logs from just a moment ago today from my SonicWall (which has rules to block attempts by the RBR and RBS's from going to any netgear update site) are attached.

It still seems to be reaching out to the update site even after I toggled it off.

This could be semantics.  "Block automatic updates" is not exactly the same as "Do not check if there are firmware updates available."  The only way the router can inform the user that there is new firmware is by learning about it.  Then, it's the user who decides to update or not.

Message 26 of 165
scorn242
Apprentice

Makes sense to me however I've learned the hard way to trust first but confirm rigorously.

Message 27 of 165
CrimpOn
Guru

@scorn242 wrote:

Makes sense to me however I've learned the hard way to trust first but confirm rigorously.

Absolutely.  With SonicWall blocking access to the update site, this Orbi router should never announce that there is new software, even if the user attempts to access the Firmware Update web page or use the app to look for it.

Message 28 of 165
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@scorn242 

Great explanation @CrimpOn  on what Turn Off Auto Update does.

One thing I question from what I see with @scorn242 's attached jpg is that the router checks every minute.  I am thinking it is doing that because he has that site blocked.   I would think that normally the server would check once or twice a day and then select a new update check time.   With the site blocked, not only is it blocking the ability to see whether there is an update or not, it is also blocking the ability to say "I checked and there is none and I'll check again in xxx number of hours".

Message 29 of 165
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

I checked with Netgear Community Manager @KevinLiT  who has verified that this setting stops the automatic INSTALLATION of new firmware but the system will CONTINUE TO CHECK and will notify the user if new firmware is available.

@scorn242 @CrimpOn 

Message 30 of 165
CrimpOn
Guru

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

it is also blocking the ability to say "I checked and there is none and I'll check again in xxx number of hours".

This could very well be correct. This new Block Auto Update option, which has not been ported to previous Orbi models, might have this consequence.

Back in June, I used Wireshark to capture network activity from a test RBR50 that is connected to the local network and had no devices connected to it. (nothing at all)  This was intended to ensure that the only network traffic being captured was from the router itself and not from anything connected to the router.  Wireshark captured an interesting set of conversations.  Here's one of my records showing how many  characters were sent and received by this router:

CrimpOn_2-1661377784942.png

This shows the router contacting Netgear at 1:12 every morning and 14:49 every afternoon.  HTTPS packets are encrypted, so I was unable to see what was going on. However, the pattern is exactly the same.  Send a packet with 144 characters, get back a packet with 189 characters, etc. etc.  At 1:12 the router makes six requests of http.fw.updates1.... and gets back a variety of information.  Those asterisks (*) indicate that the DNS request from the router resulted in a different IP address for the update server.  For example, on June 12 I recorded:

01:12 23.5.5.241 146 575
  104.119.67.89 174 ?????
  23.55.241 144 189
  23.55.241 144 189
  23.55.241 144 7504
  104.119.67.89 143 181

Netgear uses a huge number of IP addresses for http.fw.updates1.netgear.com.  I wrote a script to ask CloudFlare, Google, and OpenDNS to resolve http.fw.updates1.netgear.com over and over, and this is what they said:

CrimpOn_1-1661377640851.png

I have no idea why Netgear uses so many different IPs for the resource, or why CloudFlare, Google, and OpenDNS vary so much.

Message 31 of 165
NGSvensk
Apprentice

Where is the box to shut off auto update?  

Thanks

Message 32 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Under the Manual Tab in the FW update section of the RBR. 

Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 9.47.19 PM.png

@NGSvensk wrote:

Where is the box to shut off auto update?  

Thanks

Message 33 of 165
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

Updated to 4.6.9.11, the upgrade went smoothly and the system is running well.

I have again noticed the "LAN port reset" issue that I saw on the previous firmware. The Statistics screen currently shows an uptime of 16 hours for the system as a whole, but just under two hours for the LAN ports. This means they must have reset at about 6:30 AM this morning UK time when no-one was using the network so again this appears random rather than triggered by specific devices (unless caused by background activity).

As before though this doesn't appear to have any impact on the performance of the network at all so it remains a curiosity rather than an issue.

Message 34 of 165
Erik_W
Star

Since my update to 4.6.9.11 I noticed some differences in clients keeping their connection with satellites. I have an IP-cam (2.4 Ghz) on 3 meter distance from one of my satellites. With previous firmware, this camera initially connected to this satellite, but soon it switched to the RBR (which is 12 meters away). I lowered the transmitting power of 2.4 Ghz to 25%, but that made no difference. Now, with the new firmware, this IP-cam has been connected to the nearby satellite for two days already (in my opinion, as it should be). Seems like an improvement. Did anyone else notice this too?

Message 35 of 165
tjtrimble
Luminary

@Erik_W wrote:

Since my update to 4.6.9.11 I noticed some differences in clients keeping their connection with satellites. I have an IP-cam (2.4 Ghz) on 3 meter distance from one of my satellites. With previous firmware, this camera initially connected to this satellite, but soon it switched to the RBR (which is 12 meters away). I lowered the transmitting power of 2.4 Ghz to 25%, but that made no difference. Now, with the new firmware, this IP-cam has been connected to the nearby satellite for two days already (in my opinion, as it should be). Seems like an improvement. Did anyone else notice this too?

I concur...I'm seeing better distribution on the 2.4ghz on the satellites.  I had mine turned down to 50% and most everything was connected to the router with the exception of the devices really far away (120ft away outdoor camera).  Now, devices are connecting to the closest access point for the most part.

Finally Netgear gave us our disable auto updates swtich!  No more dropping Zoom/Teams calls when Orbi decides to update! And we get to check the forums before we update to see it's been properly vetted!

Message 36 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if something connected on your system is causing your LAN stats to reset...

@Garwoofoo wrote:

Updated to 4.6.9.11, the upgrade went smoothly and the system is running well.

I have again noticed the "LAN port reset" issue that I saw on the previous firmware. The Statistics screen currently shows an uptime of 16 hours for the system as a whole, but just under two hours for the LAN ports. This means they must have reset at about 6:30 AM this morning UK time when no-one was using the network so again this appears random rather than triggered by specific devices (unless caused by background activity).

As before though this doesn't appear to have any impact on the performance of the network at all so it remains a curiosity rather than an issue.

Message 37 of 165
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Wondering if something connected on your system is causing your LAN stats to reset...

Yes, that was my first thought too. But:

- The issue is really unpredictable, sometimes I'll see it twice in 24 hours and other times it can go for weeks without triggering

- It's happened several times in the middle of the night when no-one's been using the network at all

- All the devices I have connected are used on a daily basis, so it's hard to see any of them being the cause given how unpredictable the issue is.

I'm just curious really, and thought it would be worth mentioning that it was still happening on this firmware in case it's connected to anything that anyone else is seeing.

Message 38 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Since your seeing this across multiple FW version, I would begin by disconnecting devices and see if the RBR stops resetting the LAN stats, then begin by adding one device at a time and monitor the stats to see if that gets resets, graduate by adding devices until something happens. 

Message 39 of 165
houcatdad
Star

Is anyone seeing performance issues?

I updated the devices (1 RBR, 2 RBS) (RBK752 + 1 added Satellite). I have rebooted the router once.

A wireless printer sitting right next to the RBR, got a "weak signal" error on it. Not sure how that could even be possible.

Various items are dropping internet connections... my phone wireless had the ! like the internet was down... but other devices were all fine..

Some streaming boxes (FireTV) are buffering now...

I will say that I have NOT powered off/on (other than a reboot) the satellites. Everything is connected... but just, slow. In fact one satellite for about 5 minutes, was showing it was "Wired" to the RBR across the house.... which is not true. After about 5 minutes it changed to 5Ghz Wireless connected.

thoughts?

Message 40 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

When you power OFF the RBR after the FW update, it's best to power OFF the RBS as well. Even the ISP modem. Then back on with the ISP modem first, RBR then RBS. 

Message 41 of 165
WRSORBI
Luminary

Re: New - RBR850/RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.9.11 Released,

Firmware upgrade on RBK852 went flawless.  Noticeable performance improvements. Backed up config, RBS update, then RBR. Factory reset RBR. Powered off modem, RBR & RBS for one minute then powered up modem, RBR &RBR and let each complete reboot before powering on the next. Reloaded RBR backup config.  Only anomaly is SpeedTest not working through web interface. Works fine on apps.

Message 42 of 165
WRSORBI
Luminary

Finger fault….Powered off modem, RBR & RBS for one minute then powered up modem, RBR & RBS and let each complete reboot before powering on the next.
Message 43 of 165
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@WRSORBI wrote:

Firmware upgrade on RBK852 went flawless.  Noticeable performance improvements. Backed up config, RBS update, then RBR. Factory reset RBR. Powered off modem, RBR & RBS for one minute then powered up modem, RBR &RBR and let each complete reboot before powering on the next. Reloaded RBR backup config.  Only anomaly is SpeedTest not working through web interface. Works fine on apps.

Just curious (as we are tracking issues) - what browser are you using when doing the SpeedTest through the WebUI?

Message 44 of 165
WRSORBI
Luminary

@TC_in_Montana These Speedtests are under Win 11. Chrome updated this morning when I started it to Version 104.0.5112.102 (Official Build) (64-bit) and Speedtest using Orbi web Advanced Setup ran with no problems. 

I had not tested under Microsoft Edge Version 104.0.1293.70 (Official build) (64-bit) and so I just ran Speedtest using Orbi web Advanced Setup it also ran with no problems. 

Message 45 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you see this test failure, refresh the web page, then navigate back in to the QoS speed test page...Do you see the speed test results updated any here? 

Try running the speed test again and what happens? 

Please post a screen capture of when the test fails.

Message 46 of 165
WRSORBI
Luminary

@FURRYe38 since Chome version updated, I cannot reproduce failure.  No failures reproduceable either under Edge.

Message 47 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Sounds like a older version bug possible in Chrome. Thank for confirming. 

Message 48 of 165
AndyKH
Tutor

Hi,

I have Windows 10 PC (and 2nd with Win 10)

When I download both firmware and extract the files the firmware files are seen as "Recovered File Fragments" as file type.

When I tried to load this the upload failed (orbi login , com)

I will try direct IP access next week and see what happens.

I mention this in case its a known issue or a known work round exists.

Thank you

Andy. 

Message 49 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using to download the FW files? MS Edge, Firefox or Opera will work.

After you unpack the .zip files, do not attempt to open the .chk files with in the extracted FW file folder. They are not usable by Windows. They can only be used and sent thru the RBS and RBRs web pages there. 

Message 50 of 165
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7