Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version 7.2.6.31 Released

bullm00n
Luminary

@reddavin wrote:
Why would I need cables that support 10 gig? 

I doubt you do unless the distance is quite long.  We're in a similar sized 3 level home with one 960 and two Sats.  Both SATs are wired directly to the 960, and the cables are 50' to 100' and from the 90s - probably CAT5 - not even CAT5e. I'm yet to see any cable changes solve a thing.  If you had over 100' foot runs maybe, but otherwise no - especially if the 850 was working well with your existing wiring.  My 850 was far more stable than the 960 - not as fast, but less problematic.  That said, 7.2.6.21 has been fairly decent.  I have not even sold my 850 yet because last year was a nightmare, but now I could let it go.  For the most part, the 960 setup is working well.

I have not tried this build and am going to sit on it until I have time to test as well as revert based on comments here.

I'd say, get the RBK963 working well with 7.2.6.21 and once you have that, then worry about new releases.  FWIW, when I check for upgrades, nothing shows up - interesting that yours did it automatically. 

Message 51 of 58
reddavin
Tutor

Yes, at this point I’m tired of the drama. And spent way more time on this expensive system. I was going to roll it back this evening, but we watched Survivor, and I had a cat on my lap. Priorities. I’ll see how it goes tomorrow and probably roll it back. That was the recommendation from Netgear, maybe they know more about the reliability of .31.
Message 52 of 58
bullm00n
Luminary

@reddavin wrote:
Yes, at this point I’m tired of the drama. And spent way more time on this expensive system. I was going to roll it back this evening, but we watched Survivor, and I had a cat on my lap. Priorities. I’ll see how it goes tomorrow and probably roll it back. That was the recommendation from Netgear, maybe they know more about the reliability of .31.

to be fair, the drama I had last year post 850 was

1) a disagreement between the 960 and the xFi B7 gateway that Netgear Support solved with an update. That was impressive.

2) Comcast upgrading their system and causing disruptions several times a week.  The 960 did not like that!  I was finally able to figure out it was an Xfinity issue.

At this point, I've been happy with the 960 since last fall when Comcast apparently finished doing its thing - upside is they gave us much faster internet for the same price...so far.

Message 53 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

And still seems to be ongoing with that ISP as well from this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Wont-allow-updates-RBR850-with-RBS8...

I don't think there is any instability issues with v.31 FW. Based off v.21 being solid and well tested back then, and making adjustments to the WiFi and inclusion of the EU Region, I don't believe there is any cause for instabilities. Seems like from this thread and others, v.31 is being well received san installation mis-understandings. Again, update RBS FIRST, then RBR lastly and doing a manual update. No drama here. 

Also having too much RBS in smaller sized homes will cause problems. Why we ask about home size. No FW can correct for this. 

Also, I believe that with CC and XF, there IPv6 DNS handling maybe cause of Orbi systems not working right. Hoping that with @donawalt testing and observations with using other non ISP IPv6 DNS configurations, hopefully will show good results here. We have our fingers crossed here.

@bullm00n 

Message 54 of 58
donawalt
Virtuoso

Re:

=======

Also having too much RBS in smaller sized homes will cause problems. Why we ask about home size. No FW can correct for this. 

=======

I couldn't agree more. The 960 series has a strong signal. I get a very strong 5GHz and 6Ghz signal on other floors of a house with high ceilings. My iPhone connects to the router, with strong signal and good speeds, when it is TWO floors below my bedroom!

The very best bet is use a WiFi signal analyzer - I know there are at least 2 good apps on the Mac that are free and simple to use, I assume there are comparable ones in the Windows world too. You just walk around and watch the signal strength, starting with just the router on - you'll get a nice picture of the house. Then figure best place to place the RBSs.

Satellites should be popositioned where there is no/very weak signal if using Ethernet backhaul. They need to be put where there is decent signal near an area with bad signal for WiFi backhaul. If you start out with just the router temporarily running (RBSs off), walk around with a laptop running a signal analyzer, you will be surprised at the signal strength. I used to have 3 satellites, one on each floor, and I discovered that was overkill. By pulling an RBS and re-positioning the others, a lot of weirdness in mobile devices losing their signal went away.

Message 55 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

I can get away with running the RBR and just one RBS wirelessly in my 5000sq ft home. Though I normally run two and both are ethernet connected and the power on the RBR is turned down to 25%. Plenty of coverage and operation with this configuration. 

Message 56 of 58
bullm00n
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I can get away with running the RBR and just one RBS wirelessly in my 5000sq ft home. Though I normally run two and both are ethernet connected and the power on the RBR is turned down to 25%. Plenty of coverage and operation with this configuration. 

I have tired with just one for a time.  It is OK, but not optimal.  I actually can get by with the RBR, but that's not so great.  More a shape of the house thing and I also want coverage outside on my deck, so one of the RBS is placed to make sure that works.  And another towards the front for security cams.  Those are the tough ones since it has to get through exterior walls.  But I do have the 2.4 radio set to 50%.

Message 57 of 58
bullm00n
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

And still seems to be ongoing with that ISP as well from this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Wont-allow-updates-RBR850-with-RBS8...

@bullm00n 

I read that thread too and the related Xfinity forum thread.  There's a lot reported there that I have never experienced with the 850 or the 960.  Although I have the XB7 gateway, and the Xfinity thread seems to indicate it's an XB8 issue which I cannot comment on since we've never had that model.  With an XB7, though, it normally works fine - unless Xfinity are rolling out different configs in different markets which I suppose could be possible.

I don't see any speed trail off / drop in UL/DL from wired devices or otherwise, no matter if they are direct to the RBS or wired through a switch to the RBR.  My house it older, the cables are from 1996, and some of the runs are probably 100'. But I have seen bad connectors / cables muck things up and be difficult to run down - have to wonder how well they've checked their connections.

Message 58 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 57 replies
  • 33 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7