× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access control issue/bug with Orbi 2.7.1.60

jbrown316
Apprentice

Re: Access control issue/bug with Orbi 2.7.1.60

Will do.  I've tried to downgrade but the Orbi auto-updated itself back to current version.  I attempted to disable auto update the hard way (via telnet) and things got a little wonky so I'm probably not going to do that...I'm perfectly comfortable doing stuff like that but it just didn't seem stable after I flupped the auto-update settings.  Would be nice if auto-update was an option in the UI.

Message 26 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

You can see if this works:

1) Go to Advanced, Security, Block Sites and add the following sites.
http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
updates1.netgear.com
downloads.netgear.com
Kept digging on this and learned the following:
TCP port 443 (HTTPS): http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
TCP port 21 (FTP): updates1.netgear.com
I believe those two are all that's necessary to block. Orbi tries HTTPS first, then FTP.

Message 27 of 37
jbrown316
Apprentice

That didn't seem to work...I woke up this morning and my FW was back on 2.7.2.104 😞

Capture.JPG

Message 28 of 37
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You might send a forum moderator a message and let then know what your seeing in recent versions of FW. 

Also you might downgrade to v16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

quality control strikes again

Message 29 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd try a full factory reset and setup from scratch. 
You might contact NG support and ask them to take your system of there auto update servers until they can fix this...

@Blanca_O 

@jbrown316 wrote:

That didn't seem to work...I woke up this morning and my FW was back on 2.7.2.104 😞

Capture.JPG

Message 30 of 37
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You might contact NG support and ask them to take your system of there auto update servers until they can fix this...

@Blanca_O 

@jbrown316 wrote:

Capture.JPG

wow...why isn't this widely known..??

Message 31 of 37
Stev3D
Luminary

@jbrown316 , I don't know if anyone mentioned this to you or not, but if you aren't using Armor or the other add-ons from Netgear, and are just limiting access to your network through a Byzantine password and Access Control (like me), you might want to downgrade to v2.6.1.40, the other "fork" in NETGEAR's software path.  I had a hell of a time with the v2.7, and things got much better when I went back to 2.6.  I'm running v.2.6.1.40 and have not been a victim of un-solicited upgrades.

But a word of warning: Don't use the iOS Orbi app to manage accesses -- it seems to screw up the device database in the router (something I learned once the hard way, and foolishly repeated that mistake a week ago).  I've reported the issue.

Message 32 of 37
jbrown316
Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. I do have Armor and Circle installed so I'm guessing I should stick with 2.7 for now, but thanks again.

Message 33 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

@vajim wrote:

@jbrown316 wrote:

Capture.JPG

wow...why isn't this widely known..??

It is not clear (to me) that the Orbi (itself) uses the Orbi DNS mechanism to reach sites such as updates1.netgear.com.  There is also an issue that Block Sites works only with "http" URL's (which are rapidly becoming obsolete) and does NOT block "https".  To truly block the Orbi from reaching Netgear, there would have to be a DNS server "upstream" of the Orbi.

Message 34 of 37
jbrown316
Apprentice

Is there a way to do this without a support subscription?  I just cannot stop this thing from updating.  Literally every day I have to roll it back.  I've tried turning off any update settings via telnet that seem appropriate.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Blanca_O 

@jbrown316 wrote:

Capture.JPG

Message 35 of 37
vajim
Master

@Stev3D wrote:

@jbrown316 , I don't know if anyone mentioned this to you or not, but if you aren't using Armor or the other add-ons from Netgear, and are just limiting access to your network through a Byzantine password and Access Control (like me), you might want to downgrade to v2.6.1.40, the other "fork" in NETGEAR's software path.  I had a hell of a time with the v2.7, and things got much better when I went back to 2.6.  I'm running v.2.6.1.40 and have not been a victim of un-solicited upgrades.

But a word of warning: Don't use the iOS Orbi app to manage accesses -- it seems to screw up the device database in the router (something I learned once the hard way, and foolishly repeated that mistake a week ago).  I've reported the issue.

More of what I've been saying all along 

these firmwares come out without proper testing and trial

this is been going on for a long time   The ones that suffer are those that are told or they feel they MUST upgrade, to include those who fully support this madness and slam those who oppose 

Message 36 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7