× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS724T v2 dead power adaptor

dbarlow2
Tutor

GS724T v2 dead power adaptor

Hi, the power adaptor, Model ADP-40VP from Delta Electronics is dead.

Apparently this adaptor is obsolete. There was an alternative made by Artesyn Model NLP40-7605J but this is now unavailable.

Can anyone recommend a replacement?

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Might just be able to look up the output specs on the current adapter. 

I've used plenty of third party adapters and so long as the voltage and polarity match, you should be fine. Just make sure you have at least the same amount of amperage. You can have more, just not less or you'll have issues. 

Message 2 of 14
dbarlow2
Tutor

Hi, thanks for the response.

Could I use a remote adaptor, such as an adaptor for laptops? I would just need t ofind a 5V rated at 8A (40W).

Obviously, I would need to drill a hole in the side of the case for the cable and hook up to the low voltage terminals - pretty easy. The advantage is it would be a quick fix next time the power adaptor dies.

I'm concerned that the original internal adaptor might have special filtering or smoothing to protect the components of the switch.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

Most are just simple power supplies. So long as the output voltage/polarity match, you can do whatever you want. 

I've rigged up some sketchy things before and so long as the outputs the same, its been fine. 

Keep in mind, that'll void your warranty but that device is almost 2 decades old. Not sure how much time/resources you want to invest in keeping in running

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume we are looking at the internal power supply for these units? 

Message 5 of 14
dbarlow2
Tutor

It's the internal power supply that has died, Delta Electronics ADP-40VP.

I'd like to remove the dead internal PSU and hook up a 5V 40A laptop type external PSU. They only cost around $20 which would be cheaper than repairing the ADP-40VP. I understand the capacitors tend to go on these. I'm not proficient enough to replace burned out capacitors.

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Laptop power adapters are a bit different in regards to end poing plug and two contact connection which may differ from the internal power adapter and wiring seen there. Also may differ in amps as well. 

Do the tops of the caps look popped or bulging any on the internal power supply? 

Any looked burnt? 

Do a search online to see if there are any internal power supplys available with similar power specs as internal if you haven't already.

Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

I was playing on ebay and found a couple power adapters but their price was asinine. I'd probably just see what you can setup to work. You're biggest challenge is going to be figuring out what all the outputs are from the supply. I see 6x wires output with 2x different colors. If they're just running power to the same color with same voltage or if it changes. tough to know. without one to measure 

Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

Especially since a new power supple used on ebay is over $100 but a used GS724T can be found on there for under $40. Might be time to either upgrade, pickup a used one, or if you have the laptop power supply, give it a shot. You're not out  a whole lot if it doesn't work. 

Message 9 of 14
dbarlow2
Tutor

The caps all look good - no bulging and nothing burned!

There are a few ADP-40VP's available, however, they are priced so high I might as well by a new switch. There are cheaper alternates available, however, their footprint is different, meaning they will not attach to the 4 bolt holes in the case.

I did some research on the web, apparently, the C3 cap is prone to burning out although it looks good on my switch looking down on the control board. That's not to say it has not leaked on the other side. I

I would make sure the external laptop adaptor was the same amps and voltage. Cut the wires and splice them directly to the switch. Sounds like a good idea to me but I could be missing something.

Message 10 of 14
dbarlow2
Tutor

Yep - prices are insane.

Apparently, all three wires carry the same voltage, 5V. So I would just splice and connect them all.

The power adaptor control board is very small. I don't think my hands are steady enough to remove capacitors and replace - I could give it a try. I have nothing to lose!

Message 11 of 14
plemans
Guru

good luck!

Hope it works and if not, used is pretty cheap. Could even grab it and swap over the power supply that way you keep your lifetime warranty (for your EOL device). 

I've got the GS716T and its been rock solid for me

Message 12 of 14
dbarlow2
Tutor

Appreciate the support

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I saw some used same model switches for less. Might get another used one and transition this one use for parts. Unless you can find a broke switch that has a working internal power adapter. I keep an eye on places like amazon, fleabay and goodwill, never know what might show up. 

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements