× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Loss of management services following firmware upgrade

Arch_Jake
Aspirant

Loss of management services following firmware upgrade

I've just attempted a firmware upgrade (to 1.3.0.1) on my GS105Ev2 Switch.

Management through the Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility was working fine before upgrading.

Following successful upgrade and factory reset I've lost the ability to manage the switch. Tried to find it using IP and MAC address filtering on Wireshark with no luck. 

Packets are still routing through the switch - can anyone advise how I might be able to get switch management back online?

Model: GS105v2|5-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Loss of management services following firmware upgrade

Hi Arch_Jake, 

I advise you to open an online case with NETGEAR Support at anytime.  State what happened to the GS105Ev2 switch and the troubleshooting steps we did.  Attach a .pdf or .doc copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of your GS105Ev2 switch for warranty verification.  If ever the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will follow.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Arch_Jake,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Try the steps below:

a. Disconnect the GS105Ev2 switch from your existing network.

b. Connect a PC (where the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility is installed) directly to the GS105Ev2 switch. 

c. Assign a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 to the PC.  The default IP address of the GS105Ev2 switch is 192.168.0.239.

d. Open command prompt then check if you can get replies when you ping the  default IP address of the GS105Ev2 switch.

e. If you are able to get replies, open the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility and it should detect the GS105Ev2 switch.

f. If ever the switch is detected, set a static IP address on the GS105Ev2 switch that is within the IP range of your existing network.

g. Connect the GS105Ev2 switch back to your existing network.

h. Set the PC to obtain an IP address automatically.

i. Open command prompt again then check if you can get replies when you ping the  static IP address you have set on the GS105Ev2 switch.

j. If you are able to get replies, open the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility and it should detect the GS105Ev2 switch again.

Let us know the results. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 11
Arch_Jake
Aspirant

Thanks for your time Dane, 

Following the steps you've set out, I still can't get a response from the switch.

No response with a ping to the default IP address from the static IP you specified, and no response from the Prosafe Plus Utility. 

Message 3 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Arch_Jake,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What is the behavior of the LED lights on the GS105Ev2 switch?

b. What is the version of the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility you are using? I recommend you to use the latest version which is v2.3.20.  You may download it here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 11
Arch_Jake
Aspirant

Ok: so when plugged into the network the power light is on, the active ports flash on the left-hand LED. Data is travelling through the switch no problem.

When plugged into the PC on a static IP, the power light is on and both LED's above the active port are on - but do not flash very often.

V.2.3.20 is installed - I've tried changing between the version on the installation CD and 2.3.20, with no luck.  

Message 5 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Arch_Jake,

Kindly try the steps below:

1. Disconnect the GS105Ev2 from your existing network and make sure its turned on.  Get a straightened paper clip.

2. Insert the paper clip to the factory defaults hole then press and hold the factory reset button inside it for 30 seconds.

3. After 30 seconds, turn off the GS105Ev2 while you still continue to press and hold the factory reset button.  Wait for 5 seconds.

4. After 5 seconds, turn on the GS105Ev2 switch while you still continue to press and hold the factory reset button.  Wait for another 5 seconds.

5. After 5 seconds, release the paper clip from the factory reset button.  Wait for the GS105Ev2 to boot up properly.

After doing the steps above, perform the steps I have sent you previously to check if the GS105Ev2 will be detected by the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 11
Arch_Jake
Aspirant

Hi Dane, 

No luck after the factory reset either.

Message 7 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Arch_Jake, 

I advise you to open an online case with NETGEAR Support at anytime.  State what happened to the GS105Ev2 switch and the troubleshooting steps we did.  Attach a .pdf or .doc copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of your GS105Ev2 switch for warranty verification.  If ever the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will follow.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Arch_Jake,

It seems that NETGEAR Support has processed an online replacement for the faulty GS105Ev2 switch.  Hope that the replacement  GS105Ev2 switch you will received will work fine.  

Keep us posted.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 11
Arch_Jake
Aspirant

Thanks Dane, the replacement switch is up and working normally
Message 10 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Arch_Jake,

I'm glad to know that the replacement GS105Ev2 switch you've received is working fine. 🙂 

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community! 

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements