× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Printing From iPad

tony_luv
Tutor

Printing From iPad

hi

ipad not finding network printer,

using ipad wifi, vmdg490, fvs318gv2, gs724tv4 then hp officejet pro 9610 network printer.

can someone help?

tony.

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall,GS724Tv4|ProSafe 24 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello tony_luv, 

Glad you got it working! 🙂 You can also find documents on our support site that will help you learn more about the FVS318G, please click here for the manual.

If one of my posts helped you fix the issue, please mark it as a solution this will help other members of our community if they experience the same problem. 

Cheers, 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello tony_luv, 

Welcome to the community! 

The VMDG490 is a modem/router combo, and it appears to be the one broadcasting the wireless signal on your network. Now, you have the FVS318Gv2 behind your VMDG490. The question here is who is the DHCP server and does the devices behind the FVS318Gv2 communicate with the devices connected wirelessly. First, check the IP address of the iPad then check the IP address of the network printer. For them to communicate they should be in the same range. 

Things to check: 

1. IP address of the iPad. 
  2. IP address of the printer. 
  3. How is the modem configured (modem or gateway mode). 

Looking forward to your response. 

Thnaks, 

Message 2 of 6
tony_luv
Tutor

hi the dhcp is turn off, the ipad works on the moduem ok, but it will find the printer, if take the firewall  out its ok with the switch.

ipad ip 192.168.0.17

printer ip 192.168.1.5 when the firewall is in place.

Message 3 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello tony_luv, 

See the difference between the IP addresses of the iPad and the printer, they belong to two different networks. What is happening here is you have two DHCP servers, the modem and the firewall. The FVS318Gv2 when connected to the modem, creates its own network (which its supposed to do). The printer is connected to the firewall's network and the iPad is connected to the modem's network, which is why they are not communicating. What you can do is 1. Configure the Firewall as a switch (this will eliminate NAT and Firewall functions) or 2. Disable the router function of the modem (make it a basic modem, this will disable the wi-fi) and get an Access Point and the connect it to the Firewall. 

Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 6
tony_luv
Tutor

hi

thanks for reply

i have manged to set ipad and printer in hp eprint mod and it works i can send work to the printer that way..... thanks for your help, i am waiting for a book on firewall and hope to learn more about it Smiley Happy

thanks again tony.

Message 5 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello tony_luv, 

Glad you got it working! 🙂 You can also find documents on our support site that will help you learn more about the FVS318G, please click here for the manual.

If one of my posts helped you fix the issue, please mark it as a solution this will help other members of our community if they experience the same problem. 

Cheers, 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements