× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Short Netgear GS110TPv3

gsatish
Aspirant

Short Netgear GS110TPv3

i have connected a CC Camera to port g2, but i see message Short. i am very new to Manage Switches, and i don't understand this.. What does below mean? does it mean cable is faulty at 90-100 meter distance. ?

gsatish_0-1657287143983.png

thanks

Message 1 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Short Netgear GS110TPv3

@gsatish

Welcome to the Community!

You are right, The port detected a fault or short circuit or an electrical short exists in the cable. You can check the manual for more information.

HTH

Message 2 of 4
gsatish
Aspirant

Thank you for your response, 

But when i have tested with cable tester, the cable is good. i getting response on 8 wires in my Cat6 cable. does it still have fault?

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

The cable test - not to compare with a top of the line RF pulse and reflectometer tester - requires standard compliant cables, and fully terminated end. What is shown there as a short could be caused by certain Fast Ethernet devices, with not full standards compliant random wire grounding at the other end for example. 

Also keep in mind, these are smart switches, by far not fully managed switches.

If the camera works, does establish a Fast Ethernet or probably a Gigabit Ethernet link, forget about the cable test.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements