× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Switch GS308EP - POE led blinking slow

Martdor
Tutor

Switch GS308EP - POE led blinking slow

Dear all,

Last week, I bought the #300 Series SOHO Plus (GS308EP)  switch. I can access and set up the switch via my computer. However, when I connect a POE device (IEEE 802.3af), the POE LED starts flashing green (1 sec on 3 sec off). I have set the switch port to 802.3af. What could be wrong here?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Martdor
Tutor

It was an error in my PCB. Sorry for the inconvenience. The PCB was consuming too much current...

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
donnamariana
Aspirant

Message 2 of 9
AnishaA
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @Martdor :

And welcome to the NETGEAR Community! 🙂

In which port you have connected? and which POE device(IEEE 802.3af) has been connected to the switch(GS308EP).

For basic, the POE LED status for the device that you have mentioned.

AnishaA_0-1684219373280.png

I have set the switch port to 802.3af  >>> Can I get a detailed clarification on the port configuration that you have made?

Have a lovely day, 
Anisha A
Netgear Team 

Message 3 of 9
Martdor
Tutor

Hello @AnishaA,

Thanks for the welcome!

I have connected the POE device to port 2. Which the following settings:

Martdor_0-1684221701826.png

The device is a custom made PCB which include the Onsemi NCP1091 PoE-PD Interface Controller.

The basic LED status for the right port LED does not say anything about slow flashing. What could this mean?

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Martdor wrote:

However, when I connect a POE device (IEEE 802.3af), the POE LED starts flashing green (1 sec on 3 sec off). I have set the switch port to 802.3af.

What PoE device is plugged here, make, model, firmware please?

Only one PoE-powered device connected?

Message 5 of 9
Martdor
Tutor

It is a self made PCB which include the Onsemi NCP1092. This is a Integrated IEEE 802.3af PoE-PD Interface Controller chip.

Yes only one PoE-powered device is connected. 

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Martdor wrote:

The basic LED status for the right port LED does not say anything about slow flashing. What could this mean?

Hard to say, any kind of error is possible. Power loop, short circuit, wrong ground e.g. of data wires, ...

not that you don't have it, just for reference: NCP1090 - Integrated IEEE 802.3af PoE-PD Interface Controller (NCP1090, NCP1091, NCP1092) 

Message 7 of 9
Martdor
Tutor

It was an error in my PCB. Sorry for the inconvenience. The PCB was consuming too much current...

Message 8 of 9
hashtag-what
Aspirant

I had the same problem with the green PoE LED on the port blinking 1 second on, 3 seconds off, and the voltage at the receiving end was cycling on and off, but I was able to resolve it as follows... 

I have an 802.3af-compliant PoE splitter at the far end to provide 9V power to a non-PoE security camera.  The problem was that I had not plugged in the camera yet, so the port was unable to negotiate the power requirement with the splitter.  After I plugged in the camera and cycled the power on the Netgear switch, the PoE port LED lit up solid green and the voltage at the splitter stabilized at 9V. 

In my case, the blinking green LED was not caused by a power overload; otherwise, the yellow PoE LED would have been lit on the port.  Thought this might be helpful in case anyone else comes across this thread.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements