× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Switch S350, 1 cable cannot be activated , same cable in a Desktop is OK with 1gbps bandwidth

bemo47410
Tutor

Switch S350, 1 cable cannot be activated , same cable in a Desktop is OK with 1gbps bandwidth

Again i have some trouble with the sale connection discussed in a previous post.

Here the cable connecting the central routeur ASUS AC88U and the switch Netgear S350 cannot be activated at all when connected in the switch. I have tried to connect in all ports, and it never activated.

If i plug other cables in these ports they work perfectly.

But if i connect this cable from the routeur in my desktop, instead of the switch, then it work ! and at 1Gbps.

So which reason could lead to a non working RJ45 cable in the switch when the same cable works in the Desktop ?

But i have to say that my desktop doesn't have correct performances with this cable, i have the feeling that even if it is connected, there traffic is not fully normal. How could i checks statictics of this cable from my desktop ? is there a software for that working on W10 ?

Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: Switch S350, 1 cable cannot be activated , same cable in a Desktop is OK with 1gbps bandwidth

S350 does describe a series of lower cost Smart Managed Pro models, like the

• Smart Managed Pro S350 series GS308T
  • Smart Managed Pro S350 series GS310TP
  • Smart Managed Pro S350 series GS324T
  • Smart Managed Pro S350 series GS324TP
  • Smart Managed Pro S350 series GS348T

Provide exact model designation of your switch model as printed on the label for example.

The cable you try for the router to switch is an industry standard cable, for example a patch cable, with CAT5E or higher standard, and wired/crimped in correct pairs? Problems like these often lead to failed links, unreliable performance, ...

Message 2 of 5
bemo47410
Tutor

the switch is this one : 

• Smart Managed Pro S350 series GS308T

everything is Cat 6A, and all pins are correctly wired, tested with a ethernet tester, all wires were OK and status connected.

but i did another test

i brought the switch close to the routeur and connected it with a short cable, 6A, everything is with 6A cable, connectors, etc...

i was able to activate the cable between router and switch only on port 5.

then i brought back the switch close to my PC, and tested all ports with an active cable, all ports were OK

sounds like if the quality provided by the routeur is the issue...

tomorrow i will bring my laptop close to the router and i will do some testing with a short connection between laptop and router.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

This kind of confirms the suspicion ref. a switch (not the other brand router) issue. If this is a new device, you can either try to get a replacement from your dealer (assuming you are in Europe) for a DOA unit, or request a replacement via https://my.netgear.com/ -> My Support -> Contact Netgear Support -> Replace my defective product 

The GS308T support page is https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS308T.aspx from here you can download for example the current firmware - certainly worth the effort, factory reset worst case, before initialising the replacement process.

Message 4 of 5
bemo47410
Tutor

not sure that its the switch, i think it could be the router itself that has troubles....

i will do some more testing...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements