× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Voice VLAN" alternative missing for GS724Tv3

hawkun
Aspirant

"Voice VLAN" alternative missing for GS724Tv3

I've just updated the firmware of a GS724Tv3 to 5.0.3.2. According to this kb document (pdf) that version should have the Voice VLAN feature, but in the menu under Switching the Voice VLAN alternative is missing. Why?

In my investigations I noticed that current Boot Version for the device is 5.0.3.2 while the current Software Version is 4.1.0.9. I don't understand what that means. Is "Software Version" just another way of saying "saved secondary image of firmware that is NOT active right now"? Or is that version active in any way, for example controlling the settings UI and therefor explaines why Voice VLAN is missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
hawkun
Aspirant

I've dropped this for now. Later I will either replace the unit (warrent) or buy a new one. In that case I will probably look for another brand.

Thanks to all of you anyway.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello hawkun, 

I am sorry to tell you this but I believe you are 10 FW versions behind. Firmware version 5.0.3.2 was published back early 2012, version 4.1.0.9 is the initial firmware for the GS724Tv3. My suggestion is to update the firmware to the latest, you have to do it incrementally though since the one that you have installed is old. Please click here to get the full list of firmware versions and release notes. 

I hope it helps, if you need more assistance we'll be happy to help. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 5
hawkun
Aspirant

Sorry, I was misleading you. The version I updated to (tried to update to) was the latest 5.4.2.19.

The initial dual image status was:

snap012102.png

I downloaded 5.4.2.19 as Code to image2The dual image status now was:

snap012103.png

I then activated image2 under Dual Image Configuration and rebooted the switch. After that the fw versions still are like it was before, like this:

snap012104 B.png

...and the dual image status is:

snap012106.png

I couldn't understand that so I tried a couple of things (one more reboot etc). In my more or less planless attempts to figure out what was going on I downloaded 5.4.2.19 to image1 as well and restarting. After that I can't get the unit up and running at all! The power LED is on but no other LEDs. I then tried to do several resets and several reset to factory defaults using the buttons on the front, but nothing helped. The switch is totally dead except for the power LED.

So, the problem with missing Voice VLAN has changed to dead unit  😞

I've replaced the switch with another GS724Tv3 unit so the network is now working, but the original unit is still dead. What to do about a dead unit and why didn't the fw update work? Was I supposed to update fw incrementally, one version at a time?

Message 3 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi hawkun, 

Now that is unfortunate, does the switch still has lights on it or totally dead? If you can PM me the serial number, date of purchase and place purchase of the switch I can check if it is still covered by the warranty and you can have it replaced. 

I'll look forward to your message. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 5
hawkun
Aspirant

I've dropped this for now. Later I will either replace the unit (warrent) or buy a new one. In that case I will probably look for another brand.

Thanks to all of you anyway.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements