× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.2.0 Upgrade Issues - No Network

sharpyuk
Aspirant

6.2.0 Upgrade Issues - No Network

Hi,

I upgraded to my ReadyNAS 104 to the 6.2.0 BETA firmware and upon next boot it installed the firmware then I get a message "cannot connect discovery server" on the front LCD, clicking the power button on the front I can see it's got an IP of 127.0.0.1 which is worrying as that's the loopback IP

I tried a reboot and get the same thing..

Unplugging the Network cable seemed to help, briefly, as my router saw it come back up on the usual static IP of 192.168.0.100 before disappearing again.

Any suggestions? I was thinking I could maybe reset back to factory firmware but I'd obviously rather not if I can get around it another way.. Is there any way I can boot into engineer mode and set it to DHCP again?

Anyone else seen similar issues after upgrading

Cheers
Message 1 of 21
sharpyuk
Aspirant

I think I've solved it.. for some reason it didn't like the DHCP reservation on my router.. Seems I didn't set a static IP (its been a while since I configured it) I setup a DHCP reservation so that it always got the same IP..

Anyway, removing the DHCP reservation solved my issue.. it's now back on the network - happy days!

Cheers
Message 2 of 21
StephenB
Guru

sharpyuk wrote:
I think I've solved it.. for some reason it didn't like the DHCP reservation on my router.. Seems I didn't set a static IP (its been a while since I configured it) I setup a DHCP reservation so that it always got the same IP..

Anyway, removing the DHCP reservation solved my issue.. it's now back on the network - happy days!

Cheers
That is weird. It works fine with the dhcp reservation in my router (netgear R6300v2). The NAS has no idea that the address is reserved, it simply uses a normal dhcp request.

Are you sure the IP address you reserved was appropriate for your subnet (and that there was no address conflict with another device with a static address?)
Message 3 of 21
sharpyuk
Aspirant

Yes certain, it was working before I updated and was always using the same IP.. I had recently rebooted the device without any issues too

It's very odd I have got to say.. Perhaps it was my router which got confused rather than the NAS :lol:
Message 4 of 21
tennant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue after upgrading to 6.2.0. ReadyNAS says it has no network address, yet I can access all the shares ok; although cannot access the admin page, and RAIDar doesn't see the NAS. However if I delete the reserved IP address from my router (a Draytek 2860n) then all is fine (except not on my preferred IP address). If I manually create the IP binding again in the router, the NAS reverts back to no IP address after router reboots.
Message 5 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried rebooting the NAS? If that doesn't help you may wish to try an OS Re-install which will reset the network settings on the NAS.
Message 6 of 21
martinhj
Apprentice

Yes definitely something weird going on here:

RN104 with DHCP...assigned same IP address always in my router. No previous upgrade issues.
Upgraded from 6.1.9 to 6.2.0 and get Cannot connect to discover server and no IP address

Reboot.....same issue...

Switch ethernet cable from top ethernet socket to bottom one and router assigns a new IP address and works.

switching back to top socket...no luck even with reboot or changing settings on 104 to use a static IP address (and a reboot).

I was always using the top socket (eth0) previously but now its dead as a dodo

Martin
Message 7 of 21
martinhj
Apprentice

Actually, I just noticed that although I set eth0 up with a static address, when I go back and look at it, it has reverted to DHCP so I cannot set it up statically at all
Message 8 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see link in my sig)?

Can you try an OS Re-install (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22891/~/how-do-i-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-readynas-1...)?
Message 9 of 21
martinhj
Apprentice

Yes I will send you logs.

As an add-on, I removed the dhcp assignment in my router...now thi nas is .0.11 and I have my router assign IPs to all my fixed stuff below .100 with specific addresses via DHCP and anything not specified goes above .0.100...removing the dhcp assignment this should now get a new address above .100 (as it does if I use eth1) yet it is now booting up and showing .0.11 on the LCD display but I cannot access it. Raidar was also seeing the nas on .0.11

I will go get the logs for you. Yes I can do an os-re-install if necessary or you can have a poke around it first if it helps....this is my backup NAS for my main 104 so its not life threatening for me

Martin
Message 10 of 21
tennant
Aspirant

Yes I've tried rebooting the NAS!!! Only way I can get it to work is to set eth0 to DHCP and remove the reserved address (IP binding) from the router's IP to MAC bind list. I'm not going to go down the route of reinstalling the OS at this stage as that could introduce a host of other issues. I can live with it for now until the issue gets resolved in an update.
Message 11 of 21
grahamu59
Tutor

Similar problem here wih a 102.
Have had .99 reserved in my router for the NAS for almost a year. On upgading to 6.2 the NAS could not be accessed. (Even after 2 further reboots using the front button). Removed the ip reservation in the router and rebooted the NAS and got a DHCP assigned address that worked. I was then able to set .99 as a static address in the NAS and all is OK now. (Router is NG DGND3700).

sharpyuk wrote:

Cheers
Message 12 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Interesting. I reserve addresses in my R6300 router, and 6.2 did not break anything for me.

This is weird though, because the address reservation is hidden from the device. If the address is reserved, the DHCP offer from the router contains the reserved address. Otherwise it contains one allocated from the pool. The client device has no way to distinguish them, and has no way to know if its address is reserved or not.
Message 13 of 21
david8704
Star

I have the same problem! How do you change the settings on the NAS while it can't connect to the router?
Message 14 of 21
StephenB
Guru

david8704 wrote:
I have the same problem! How do you change the settings on the NAS while it can't connect to the router?
The workaround these folks are using is in the router, not the NAS. They go into the router config and remove the reserved address. Then then NAS is getting an IP address.

Did you reserve an address in the router?
Message 15 of 21
thebear1
Aspirant

I know this is not Beta anymore, just did the upgrade to the gold release of 6.2, same issue, had to remove my IP reservation from the Router (running a Billion BiPAX 7800DX Firewall Router) to get the RN102 to pick up an IP. I prefer not to put static IP's on devices where possible. No issues with any of my other network devices.
Message 16 of 21
StephenB
Guru

That isn't a problem with my Netgear R6300v2 router, and I am confused on exactly what could be going wrong, as the NAS has no idea it is being handed a pre-reserved address.

However, several people have reported this, so obviously there is something wrong.
Message 17 of 21
martinhj
Apprentice

Yes its odd...I had the same/similar problem with mine. Connected to a Netgear pro router and the router is handing out the same IP address via dhcp so the NAS should not know any different to any other although in my case I was going in via the second eth port on my 104 and resolved it by reconfiguring port 1...I wonder now if it just needs the NAS to get a different address to kick it into life maybe?

Either way I had various discussions with Netgear support and it happened on both of my RN104's and they were going to try and recreate it to debug so lets wait and see
Message 18 of 21
jpass022
Luminary

I updated my 516 to 6.2.0 and did re-install OS from boot menu. still no IP available?????
Message 19 of 21
martinhj
Apprentice

I was only using eth0 and was allocating an IP address based on the MAC address of eth0. Plugging the cable into eth1 and letting my router give it the next address from the pool went some way to solving my problem. Have you tried that?
Message 20 of 21
meltingice
Aspirant

So weird, removing the DHCP reservation worked for me too. The really weird part was that the ReadyNAS was showing a 192.168.x.x address while my network uses 10.0.x.x, and I could still access the admin page via the local hostname. I also had to reboot it after removing the DHCP reservation. Everything works as expected now.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements