× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can you add New drive support for ReadyNAS NV+

Lostsole
Aspirant

Can you add New drive support for ReadyNAS NV+

PLEASE Add support for new drive greater than 2TB? for all 4 slots

4TB Deskstar CoolSpin SATA III Internal Drive Kit w/ 32MB
Seagate 4.0TB Barracuda XT Hard Disk Drive 3.5-Inch | SATA 6.0Gb/s | 7200RPM | 64MB Cache (ST4000DX000)
Seagate 3TB Barracuda 7200rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
Seagate 3TB Constellation ES.2 SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It is highly unlikely that NetGear would add support for drives larger than 2TB to the NV+ (v1). The NV+ v1 is the NV+ with the silver chassis. There is no GPT support for Sparc so drives larger than 2TB in capacity are incompatible.
Message 2 of 6
Lostsole
Aspirant

Thanks for the update. Stupid me. Should have search for drive support to see other topics with 3TB disc for ReadyNas NV+.
Message 3 of 6
BikeHelmet
Aspirant

Lostsole wrote:
Thanks for the update. Stupid me. Should have search for drive support to see other topics with 3TB disc for ReadyNas NV+.

Some drives expose 4K sectors to the OS, so there's a very slim chance (0.01%? 😛 ) that some day far in the future a select few models of 2.5TB+ HDD might be supported by the NV+.

But don't hold your breath. This is Debian Sarge, after all? I'm not sure how far back 4K sector support actually goes - it might be newer than GPT support, in which case there's absolutely no chance. :lol:
Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

4k sector partition alignment is a completely separate issue to using the GPT partitioning scheme. Don't confuse the two. Sparc ReadyNAS already have 4k sector partition alignment if factory default on 4.1.7 or later. However the MBR partitioning scheme which has a theoretical limit of about 2.1TB per disk, I think.
Message 5 of 6
BikeHelmet
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
4k sector partition alignment is a completely separate issue to using the GPT partitioning scheme. Don't confuse the two. Sparc ReadyNAS already have 4k sector partition alignment if factory default on 4.1.7 or later. However the MBR partitioning scheme which has a theoretical limit of about 2.1TB per disk, I think.

The MBR limit is a sector limit. The max value for a 32bit unsigned integer is 4,294,967,295

4,294,967,295 * SectorSize = MBRMaxUsableDiskSpace

4,294,967,295 * 512 = 2199023255040 (2.199TB)

2199023255040 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 = 2.0 TiB

If a drive exposes 4K sectors to the OS, the maximum size possible (under MBR) should be 16TiB. I'm not clear on whether it's possible to boot off that, because of how old grub works - but I can confirm that my Hitachi 3TB external (with 4K sectors) works fine under WinXP/Win7/Ubuntu10-12 while MBR partitioned. I can even pull it from the enclosure and mount it internally, so it's nothing to do with its enclosure.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements