Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hard Drive Change Issues

Laks86
Aspirant

Hard Drive Change Issues

Hi Guys,

I recently replaced my 12tb Hard drive which was faulty with a 10tb drive and when I format it it does nothing.

Where am i going wrong?

It is still showing up as Data Downgraded 😞

netgear storage issue.JPG

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|, RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 5
Laks86
Aspirant

Re: Hard Drive Change Issues

netgear storage issue.JPG

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Laks86 wrote:

I recently replaced my 12tb Hard drive which was faulty with a 10tb drive and when I format it it does nothing.

Where am i going wrong?

You are going wrong by trying to use a 10 TB drive instead of a 12 TB drive.  To restore the volume to a redundant/healthy status you need to replace the 12 TB drive with another 12 TB model.  

Message 3 of 5
Laks86
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Laks86 wrote:

Where am i going wrong?

You are going wrong by trying to use a 10 TB drive instead of a 12 TB drive.  To restore the volume to a redundant/healthy status you need to replace the 12 TB drive with another 12 TB model.  

I thought so. Can I replace the other 12TB with a 10TB so it starts working as normal or would I need to format the whole NAS?

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Laks86 wrote:

Can I replace the other 12TB with a 10TB so it starts working as normal or would I need to format the whole NAS?

Replacing the remaining drive won't help - that will just cause the volume to fail completely.

Is this a new setup with new drives? If it is, then you could just wait for a replacement 12 TB. 

You could also do a factory reset/reformat with all the existing drives in place.  You'll waste 2 TB of the 12 TB drive (and lose 2 TB of volume space), but you could regain that later by upgrading the 10 TB drive to 12.  If you have another 10 TB drive, you could also alternatively do a factory reset with 2x3TB+2x10TB.  Both would give you the same size volume - 16 TB (~14.5 TiB) instead of the 18 TB (~16.3 TiB) volume you have now).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements