Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readycloud desktop app - cannot open folders

GrahamWebb
Aspirant

Thanks I have been messing about with this all day to get it to work properly.  😞

It's wierd, I am showing Internet connection and services available.  Everything works fine when I am logged into the desktop app as Admin tested from different machines/external networks its just when I am logged in as a user the folder share just wont open.  Everything works fine from the web portal as well whether I log in as admin or one of the users.

This is annoying as my work are opening a small office in New York (i'm based in the UK) with 7 people working on laptops and they are going to be in a rented office space where we can only have very limited network hardware with the Internet provided by the building.  I want a simple solution that will just work and can be backed up to cloud storage.  I was hoping the ReadyCloud would work so I wouldnt need to have a separate router with VPN and static IP addresses etc for when they are out of the office.

Hopefully this is just a bug with the current firmware/client and they will release another one soon.  The users can always use the web portal I suppose but they wont like that its much better to be able to browse the shares in windows explorer.

Message 26 of 52
GrahamWebb
Aspirant

Hi I have noticed a change in the behaviour as of this morning.  Now the Readycloud app on my remote laptop will not connect to the readynas and show shares when logged in as a share user but if I log in as the admin user the app works perfectly.

If I log in as a share user while on the same network as the nas I have been able to open my shared folder in windows explorer, however this is intermittant and when I try to open any folders I get a windows permission error saying access is denied.  Logging in as the admin user to the app works fine and the web portal also works fine for all users.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 27 of 52
Kevin-B
Aspirant

I installed the R7300 router yesterday. Everything is working fine except Ready Cloud. I have installed other Personal Could systems before. This ready Cloud is a no Go. If it is working on my system it is so slow that it is unusable. I get a progress bar that creeps across my screen slower than a snail. I attached a 1TB Passport drive. Maybe this ready Cloud attached to the router is only usfull for small thumb Drives. There is also scant documentaion for Ready Cloud. Pretty much Junk as far as I can tell.

Message 28 of 52
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

If you use Explorer to navigate to %PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\NETGEAR\Remote\bin\ , use a good file editor (like Notepad++) to edit ReadyCloudClient.exe.config, change ENABLE_CONSOLE from False to True, and re-start the ReadyCLOUD client, then try to reproduce, do you get an error when ReadyCLOUD tries to issue the loading Explorer command in the console window? 

Message 29 of 52
Bjarkefors
Aspirant

this not solve for us. and we can not  open folders at http://readycloud.netgear.com/ all this problem came after the change from user name to mail as user.

Message 30 of 52
GrahamWebb
Aspirant

Hi Kohdee Thanks for getting back to me. For some reason it was working on the laptop I was testing it with earlier today however it has now stopped working again. With the console enabled I get this error when I try to open the share and just get the spinning circle. <131129749185471990> [14/07/2016 14:01:58]: CloudService.NetAddConnection, Excep tion: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, usin g more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again
Message 31 of 52
GrahamWebb
Aspirant

Hi Kohdee Here is the error message I am getting: <131129749185471990> [14/07/2016 14:01:58]: CloudService.NetAddConnection, Excep tion: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, usin g more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again It looks like a problem with multiple sessions being open to readycloud I made sure I was logged out as the same user everywhere else but am still getting the error, is there a way to allow multiple sessions from the same user so I can see if that makes a difference? Kind regards Graham
Message 32 of 52
coalition
Tutor

I am receiving the same error as GrahamWebb regarding multiple sessions.  Is there a way to fix this error?

Thanks,

Message 33 of 52
GrahamWebb
Aspirant

I have tried to downgrade the firmware to 6.5.0 instead of 6.5.1 to see if that fixes it:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30662/~/readynas-os-version-6.5.0?cid=wmt_netgear_orga...

I just downloaded the file a for ARM and have used the manual firmware upgrade, this has not worked either still cant open my shares from the ReadyCloud desktop 9 out of 10 times.  This is getting really frustrating and I cant believe that this NAS box doesn't work as it is supposed to.

It has one job... 😞

Message 34 of 52
GrahamWebb
Aspirant

I also tried downgrading to 6.4.2 but that then readycloud wouldnt work at all so putting it back to 6.5.1

Message 35 of 52
GrahamWebb
Aspirant

I am seeing another error now in the console for a new user I set up this morning on readycloud:

CloudService.NetAddConnection, Exception:  The specified network password is not correct.

The user can browse and open the share in the web portal with the same readycloud username and password but the share will not open in the Readycloud app, I tried changing the users password in readycloud to a shorter one and then logging back in but getting the same error.

Message 36 of 52
GrahamWebb
Aspirant

Hi can someone from Netgear please come back to us regarding these problems with the readycloud app, I have posted up the error messages the desktop app is producing in reply to Kohdees post but have heard nothing back as of yet.  I am obviously not the only person having these issues.

This is really annoying as the ReadyCloud app at the minute is not fit for purpose and I am seriously considering buying a NAS box from another manufacturer and starting from fresh at this point. 

Message 37 of 52
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@GrahamWebb wrote:
Hi Kohdee Here is the error message I am getting: <131129749185471990> [14/07/2016 14:01:58]: CloudService.NetAddConnection, Excep tion: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, usin g more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again It looks like a problem with multiple sessions being open to readycloud I made sure I was logged out as the same user everywhere else but am still getting the error, is there a way to allow multiple sessions from the same user so I can see if that makes a difference? Kind regards Graham

Hi @GrahamWebb

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Are you mapping drives to your ReadyNAS over the VPN? 

You can generally get rid of those errors by using cmd and using "net use /delete *" or "net use /delete \\connection\here\from\netuse" where \\connection\here\from\netuse is a connection shown when entering "net use" -- this would be a Windows problem. 

Message 38 of 52
GrahamWebb
Aspirant

Hi Kohdee

We dont have a problem with mapped network drives when on the same network as the readynas infact thats how people connect to it when in the office and that works fine.  Its just the ReadyCloud desktop app that is causing problems as we want to use this when people are working away from the office.  We have separate user accounts setup for the mapped network drives.

Kind regards

Graham

Message 39 of 52
GrahamWebb
Aspirant

The problem with ReadyCloud app is not due to existing connections as I have had it happen for a brand new user the first time they have connected.

Message 40 of 52
rftex
Aspirant

Try this. Windows 7 on internet remote from the NAS. You have the ReadyCloud desktop app installed and logged in. The ReadyNAS is connected (VPN) and the shares are listed as blue folders BUT when you click on the folders nothing happens. Say one of the shares is "Shared". Obtain the IP address of your readyCloud from one of the PC's that work, should be listed under network in Window Explorer and should be in the form of 5.xx.xxx.xxx.
Now open Windows Explorer on the PC that won't work, right click on network and map network drive. In the folder box type \\5.xx.xxx.xxx\Shared. Enter MyNetgear credentials if prompted, tick the box to remember. Now hopefully everything works as it should, good luck.

Message 41 of 52
rftex
Aspirant

Try this - this is almost useable.

Windows 7 on internet remote from the NAS. You have the ReadyCloud desktop app installed and logged in. The ReadyNAS is connected (VPN) and the shares are listed as blue folders BUT when you click on the folders nothing happens.
Obtain the IP address of your readyCloud from one of the PC's that work, should be listed under network in Windows Explorer and should be in the form of 5.xx.xxx.xxx.
Now open Windows Explorer on the PC that won't work, click on network. In the drop box at the top of the window click to the right of where it says Network. Network highlights in blue. Type \\5.xx.xxx.xxx  Now all the shares come up in the main window and hopefully everything works as it should. After closing Windows Explorer or rebooting with the ReadyCloud desktop app logged in as before, open windows Explorer. Click on network and then the down arrow in drop box at the top. Select the entry that you typed before and you should be good to go. Good luck.

Message 42 of 52
scravatt
Apprentice

This works, but it's a work around. When does the readycloud app get fixed so we don't have to do this?

Message 43 of 52
rftex
Aspirant

OK, I have wasted a lot of time on this with not much success, but I have found an effective way to get it working

Windows 7 on internet remote from the NAS. You have the ReadyCloud desktop app installed and logged in. The ReadyNAS is connected (VPN) and the shares are listed as blue folders BUT when you click on the folders the grinding wheel appears on the left and then after a while it stops and it does not display the contents of the folder. Nothing happens.

Using Kohdee's suggestion to turn on the console I got this error when I tried to open the share and after the grinding wheel stopped grinding, "CloudService.NetAddConnection, Exception:  The specified network password is not correct"

My solution, which has been working with no problems so far, is to create a completely new user. Do not use any email addresses that have been previously used either locally on the ReadyNAS itself (even if they have been deleted) or on the ReadyCloud site. Do not bind the new address if prompted to do so.

Create a brand new email address (outlook.com or gmail.com or whatever) and invite the new user at the readycloud site. When the new user sets up their MyNetgear account, do not bind if prompted.

Login to the ReadyCloud desktop app with the new credentials, reboot the PC and wait for everything to load. Hopefully everything is OK. It was for me.

I think it may be the NAS itself that is rejecting the user, I do not know why it only affects some PC's and not others and some users and not others.

Message 44 of 52
rftex
Aspirant

You can get the "CloudService.NetAddConnection, Exception: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed" error if you have multiple shared folders and access more than one of them using the ReadyCloud app. Just open one folder and navigate to other shared folders using Windows Explorer.

If you open Folder 1 using the ReadyCloud app, Windows Explorer displays Folder 1. If you then close Windows Explorer and use the ReadyCloud app to open Folder 2 you can get the multiple user error. Navigate to Folder 2 from the first Windows Explorer window.

Message 45 of 52
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@scravatt wrote:

This works, but it's a work around. When does the readycloud app get fixed so we don't have to do this?

@rftex wrote:

OK, I have wasted a lot of time on this with not much success, but I have found an effective way to get it working

Windows 7 on internet remote from the NAS. You have the ReadyCloud desktop app installed and logged in. The ReadyNAS is connected (VPN) and the shares are listed as blue folders BUT when you click on the folders the grinding wheel appears on the left and then after a while it stops and it does not display the contents of the folder. Nothing happens.

Using Kohdee's suggestion to turn on the console I got this error when I tried to open the share and after the grinding wheel stopped grinding, "CloudService.NetAddConnection, Exception:  The specified network password is not correct"

My solution, which has been working with no problems so far, is to create a completely new user. Do not use any email addresses that have been previously used either locally on the ReadyNAS itself (even if they have been deleted) or on the ReadyCloud site. Do not bind the new address if prompted to do so.

Create a brand new email address (outlook.com or gmail.com or whatever) and invite the new user at the readycloud site. When the new user sets up their MyNetgear account, do not bind if prompted.

Login to the ReadyCloud desktop app with the new credentials, reboot the PC and wait for everything to load. Hopefully everything is OK. It was for me.

I think it may be the NAS itself that is rejecting the user, I do not know why it only affects some PC's and not others and some users and not others.

Windows tries to send the credentials from your computer to the ReadyNAS. If Windows is sending some kind of stored credentials (or your Windows has a stored credential that matches a username on the ReadyNAS, like the ReadyCLOUD username), then you will get the "Exception:  The specified network password is not correct" -- That's not something we can fix because it's Windows sending the credential, not the ReadyCLOUD client. If your NETGEAR account (ReadyCLOUD) matches your Microsoft account that you have stored in Windows, but the passwords are different, this could be a root cause.

The other one, where multiple sessions to the server aren't allowed; that's also because you have probably accessed the ReadyNAS over your LAN and are using ReadyCLOUD on the LAN and ReadyCLOUD Client is trying to send ReadyCLOUD credentials to the ReadyNAS's LAN IP to auth to it. If you were remote (not on the same LAN), then this would not be the same behavior because ReadyCLOUD client would try to access the ReadyNAS using its VPN address (5.x.x.x) instead of over the LAN, where you probably use "admin" or another local user credential created on the ReadyNAS. 

Message 46 of 52
scravatt
Apprentice

Readycloud V 1.13 released...still no fix for this. It still has the exact same problem ......NETGEAR...FIX THIS ALREADY!  It used to work fine before version 1.12.

Message 47 of 52
coalition
Tutor

Agreed with Scravatt.  The desktop Readycloud V 1.13 simply does not work.  When you click the blue folder it just sits there and spins.  Is there an earlier version we can use that doesn't have this issue?

Thanks.

Message 48 of 52
coalition
Tutor

A suggestion earlier by one of the Netgear agents suggested that if you were on a LAN connection it wouldn't work.  I've since tried it on a WAN connection and the program won't even show the folders.  The wheel spins and show "Online (Connecting VPN...)"

Please fix.

Message 49 of 52
IT-SW
Guide

I went to credentials manager in windows 10 and deleted the reference to the NAS and this solved the issue for me.  Dunno why this solved my problem but after I deleted it, I re added it.  This is being on the local network.  Not sure if on  a remote how you would address this.

Just passing on what helped me solve my issue.

Message 50 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements