Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cant access my http://readycloud.netgear.com site

brightsky
Aspirant

Re: Delete Cloud User impossible

I ended up having to Factory Reset, the software is so unreliable and untested I'm surprised they employ anyone in Software Testing.

Message 151 of 707
brlathanjr
Guide

ReadyCloud service went offline and Delete all user accounts and files

I was copying files to my ReadyNAS home folder after successful completion of copying the files. I started receiving a message the folder was no longer accessible. After researching the problem I had discovered the ReadyCloud was disabled, my home folder and all of my personal files have been deleted. I was wondering is there a way to recover my missing files for the NAS devices with through ReadyNAS OS or data recovery tools? And if so what data linux data recovery could I use?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 152 of 707
Mostdom
Apprentice

Re: User has been Auto deleted - all data lost

jack0lantach. I had noticed your signature and appreaciate your support here as I think do others and my comments have been in no way aimed at you. I felt that Netgear had kinda left you holding the stick here.

Weather the failure has allowed access or caused the system to react incorrectly it still should not have happened.

Message 153 of 707
jak0lantash
Mentor

@Mostdom wrote:

Weather the failure has allowed access or caused the system to react incorrectly it still should not have happened.

I agree 100% with that. It's bad and it shouldn't have happened.

I was simply trying to explain that there was, to my understanding of the symptoms, no remote action taken on your NAS and/or violation of privacy.

Just like you, I'm waiting for further communication from NETGEAR.

Message 154 of 707
Slas
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NAS offline ?

Hallo @Retired_Member,

und willkommen in der NETGEAR Community.

Die ReadyCloud Server Verbindung wurde wiederhergestellt, somit eine erneute Anmeldung sollte wieder möglich sein.

Eine lokale Share oder WebGUI Verbindung sollte immer funktionieren.

Grüße
Slas
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 155 of 707
Mostdom
Apprentice

I appreaciate the clarification. It does also open up the suggestion that if this could be casued by a simple disconnect to the server that someone could also do this maliciously. Maybe through a bot attack, virus, or a disgruntled ex employee 😉 all they would need to do is fake a disconnect and the system does then rest. But what kind of internal code have netgear created that would then go an effectivley delete or lose the contents of the users folder?

Message 156 of 707
jak0lantash
Mentor

To that I can't reply because I don't know. But this is what I know: If you unregister a NAS from ReadyCLOUD (not just turn off, click "Leave" button), it deletes the ReadyCLOUD home folders: https://i.imgur.com/7oAANen.png

For an attack to fake a disconnect, I'd presume access to the NAS or maybe the core network would be necessary. So if an attacker already gained access to that, he wouldn't need to bother trying to figure out how ReadyCLOUD works in order to do damage 😉

Message 157 of 707
jekoz
Tutor

Re: ReadyCloud service went offline and Delete all user accounts and files

Same thing for me. My main account, yesterday, was deleted remotely....i loose over 2TB of data. I don't know if, when ReadClaud service was back online, the deleted user and their data have been restored......my brother had made a factory reset. 

I wonder how is possible that a ReadyCloud problem can DELETE remotely my user in my local disk. Incredible...someone can explain how this is possible???? 

This is a very serious thing!!!!  😞

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 158 of 707
Mostdom
Apprentice

[tinfoil hat off]

oh I c. Not having wanted to delete any of my accounts I'd forgotten about a prompt to delete content, but this fault has somehow bypassed that. I am still saying our determined wouldbe attacker/exemployee is plauseable.

[tinfoil hat on]

Message 159 of 707
Jackvd
Apprentice

Hmmm,

YOUR actions caused a data and user delete on basically EVERY system that is using ReadyCloud.

Bouncing it back to your customers and simply stating that it is THEIR responsibility to have a backup

is a very cheap shot....

And totally unacceptable.

The amount of work it takes to restore everything is substantial. No to mention the effort for administrators that have

remote systems far away.....

I think we all are waiting for a pro-active solution.

Jack

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 160 of 707
MrKukuk
Guide

Betreff: NAS offline ?

Ich habe das gleiche Problem. Im Log sehe ich das gestern alle Readycloud Benutzer gelöscht wurden. Warum werden da Benutzerkonten ohne mein Zutun gelöscht ? Auch sind meine Benutzerordner unter home gelöscht worden. Mitsamt Inhalten. Was das denn für ein M*** ? Was kann ich tun ?

Message 161 of 707
brlathanjr
Guide

Was your account deleted around 6:44 AM CST?

Message 162 of 707
HansK
Apprentice

@mdgm wrote:

Destroying shares is a destructive process and we have warnings in the GUI about this if you manually go to delete a user/share.

We have looked at some affected systems and been unable to recover data from the deleted home shares as yet. You should disable volume maintenance for now and better yet boot into volume read-only mode (so no changes are made to your volume) to try to make sure nothing happens that may jeopardise data recovery just in case our investigation uncovers ways to recover data from deleted home shares.

It's unfortunate that this happened but ultimately having an up to date backup is your responsibility.

Dear Netgear support people

yes, there is a definite warning when you try to delete a share. You even have to type DESTROY to complete this action. Up until this point you are right. Too bad that we did not initiate this action ourselges and no warning what so ever was resented before Netgear deleted these shares. We did not even have to type in DESTROY. SO please, don't say "we told you so". 

For the part of the backup of our data, that's specificaly the reason why I bought and installed a NAS with four identical drives in a Raid configuration. This doesn't protect me from deleting complete shares but then, that's not what we've done.

so a bit more than just this warning about our own responsibilities and a meager sorry from you is at its place. 

Message 163 of 707
jekoz
Tutor

10:18 AM GMT account: manzinxxx@gmail.com was DELETED  

With every data inside.... 😞

Message 164 of 707
VanBaden
Aspirant

Betreff: NAS offline ?

Seit gestern Aben kann ich mich auf keine Weise (PC direkt, ReadyCloud, RaiDar) mit meinem NAS verbinden.

Über ReadyCloud wird mein NAS als offline angezeigt und beim Zugriffsversuch über den Computer ist die 

Authentifizierung mit Nutzernamen und Passwort nicht möglich (erscheint immer wieder von Neuem). 

Gibt es bereits eine Lösung? 

Message 165 of 707
britrb
Guide

Start up this morning, cant access admin page now so I cant make any changes - and I could last night, however the network drives are back in working order...? Whats going on?

Also, was this an attack or a **bleep** up?

Message 166 of 707
Silli
Aspirant

Same problem. is this somethgin Netgear can fix?

Message 167 of 707
DavidMacStruan
Initiate

Seriously? NETGEAR systems arbitrarily deleted millions of dollars of data from their customers devices; still now 24 hours later not providing them with a clear explanation of what did happened; nevertheless a solution... and you have the courage even to tell your customers that it is their fault for not backing up their data thru a competitor solution?

Perhaps, I should remind you about the selling points of your company for this devices:

Netgear 5 Layers of File Protection:
* Automatic RAID protects against disk failure
* Exclusive snapshot technology for point in time file recovery
* Real-time anti-virus software protects against viruses and malware
* Bit rot protection defends against media degradation
* Free cloud backup for your most important files

Why do you need 5 layers of file protection when NETGEAR already takes care of arbitrarily delete your data for you? ... and -of course- compromise you research, business, work if not sending you/your business bankrupt!

Sorry, but this is not acceptable! Even more, your lack of ownership taking responsibility on the matter. At this point, perhaps what you should do is posting in the forum the address for which we should send you the papers for the class action that is coming your way!

Message 168 of 707
Geronimo88
Guide

Re: ReadyCloud Shows Drives as Offline

ReadyCloud seems to be back online, I can acces and mount the drive on my desktop through the App, I havent lost any data but then again I havent been using the Home folders. Some users have had their home folder deleted after their user was removed. 

Message 169 of 707
jak0lantash
Mentor

@DavidMacStruan wrote:

nevertheless a solution

The thing is that once the data is deleted, there isn't any solution really. If a home folder is deleted, its snapshots are deleted at the same time. As home folders are BTRFS subvolumes, it's not that simple to "undelete" them. The only way to recover anything is by using data carving methods, which very little chance of success.

Btw, just to be clear, I'm no longer employed by NETGEAR and I'm in no way trying to protect them. I'm actually trying to help you and others, as much as I can.

Message 170 of 707
aaron921
Aspirant

Mine is still showing offline.  I can't access through the cloud app on the computer, through the app on my android device, or the website.  All say offline.  

Message 171 of 707
Geronimo88
Guide

Have you gone into the admin via webbrowser using default name and passwords,(admin & password) navigate to cloud tab then make sure Readycloud is turned on.

Message 172 of 707
Slas
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NAS offline ?

Hallo @Zusammen,

wie besprochen, es gab Probleme mit der Server Verbindung, ein Nachteil war leider eine automatische Abmeldung der Cloud User und Verlust der  Privaten/Home Shares.

Das gleiche kann mit lokalen Home Shares passieren,  wenn der dazugehöriger User vom Readynas entfernt wird. Somit würde ich eine Nutzung von Home Shares als ein Speicherort für sehr wichtige Daten nicht empfehlen.

@MrKukuk ich würde Dir vorschlagen Netgear Support direkt zu kontaktieren, und Fragen, ob eine Datenwiederherstellung noch möglich ist. Bis dahin solltest Du abwarten und keine neuen Daten auf der Readynas speichern, um eventuelle Überschreibung der Daten zu vermeiden.

@VanBaden hast Du auch einen Standard Login versucht?

User: admin

Passwort: password

Grüße
Slas
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 173 of 707
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's my job to try to help you guys as much as possible.

At the same time our warranty and manuals do clearly state that backups are important. We put a lot of time and effort into maintaining features to backup your data because we may have features like snapshots, anti-virus, bit-rot protection, RAID etc. but there are problems that those cannot protect against whether within or outside our control.

You can spend much more on a server than what you'd spend on our high end RR4360X and still run into problems where you need to restore from backup.

Before I got my first ReadyNAS I experienced data loss and I've learnt from that painful experience and work to do all I can to prevent others from experiencing that pain where possible or helping with learning the lessons from data loss in the unfortunate event that is experienced.

We're very disappointed with what's happened and we are working to make changes so that the cause of this particular problem is fixed.

We've already identified some changes to make to servers at our end and some changes that can be made to the firmware.

We pride ourselves on providing the best protection for data in the section of the NAS market we operate in.

We're adding additional RAID choices, namely RAID-50 and RAID-60 in the upcoming 6.7.0 release which provide a good balance between performance, redundancy and capacity for volumes utilizing large/huge numbers of disks.

Message 174 of 707

Re: readycloud.netgear.com site and NAS unit offline and Windows app states all units offline

It seeems that i am now able to login to my account but it says my cloud is offline, when it clearly is not... and now, i cannot even login via the desktop app and the website says my NAS is offline still.

Message 175 of 707
Announcements