× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 314 - HDD Space?

pauls898
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 314 - HDD Space?

Hi I'm running a ReadyNAS 314 with 2 x 4TB RED WD Hard Disc's and it's 75% full? I'm getting warning messages in my logs telling me this.

So I've been deleting some redundant stuff off this drive BUT I don't appear to be getting my space back?

My concern is when I delete stuff I don't seem to get my space back? On a NAS Drive so once you have written files to your discs is the space used up forever?

I don't understand? or is it moving it to it's own recycle bin? if so how do I empty that if you can to regain my space back?

What's the procedure for installing extra Drives? I have two spare slots available, if I go ahead and add two more 4TB hard disc's what happen? Does my space double? or do I just get a second separate Raid Drive folder? I currently have two 4TB RED WD Hard Disc's in a Raid so it looks like I'm going to shortly need two more with the way it's going if I can't get my space back as I have less than 1TB remaining and deleting stuff off it has made no difference?

Thanks
Message 1 of 16
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Do you have snapshots enabled? What Raid type are you using (Xraid or Flex)?

If you are running on X-Raid (auto expansion), and will add another 4TB disk you will have additional volume.

http://rdconfigurator.netgear.com/raid/index.html
Message 2 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It does sound like you have snapshots enabled on the shares. Deleting some snapshots should help free up some space.

If that doesn't help send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig). Mention in the email which shares you deleted files in to try and free up some space.

If using X-RAID if you add a couple of 4TB disks to your empty bays you will triple your volume capacity.
Message 3 of 16
pauls898
Aspirant

Yes I have Snapshot enabled but every day it deletes them itself? is that how it's suppose to work?

Wed Feb 25 2015 0:05:36
snapshot: Smart Snapshot successfully delete snapshot '2015_01_28__00_00_42' from share or LUN 'Videos'.
Wed Feb 25 2015 0:05:34
snapshot: Smart Snapshot successfully delete snapshot '2015_01_28__00_00_42' from share or LUN 'Software'.
Wed Feb 25 2015 0:05:33
snapshot: Smart Snapshot successfully delete snapshot '2015_01_28__00_00_41' from share or LUN 'readydrop'.
Wed Feb 25 2015 0:05:31
snapshot: Smart Snapshot successfully delete snapshot '2015_01_28__00_00_40' from share or LUN 'Pictures'.
Wed Feb 25 2015 0:05:29
snapshot: Smart Snapshot successfully delete snapshot '2015_01_28__00_00_39' from share or LUN 'PhotoStore'.
Wed Feb 25 2015 0:05:27
snapshot: Smart Snapshot successfully delete snapshot '2015_01_28__00_00_39' from share or LUN 'Music'.
Wed Feb 25 2015 0:05:25
snapshot: Smart Snapshot successfully delete snapshot '2015_01_28__00_00_38' from share or LUN 'KaraokeMusicVideos'.
Wed Feb 25 2015 0:05:24
snapshot: Smart Snapshot successfully delete snapshot '2015_01_28__00_00_38' from share or LUN 'Documents'.
Wed Feb 25 2015 0:05:22
snapshot: Smart Snapshot successfully delete snapshot '2015_01_28__00_00_37' from share or LUN 'Backup'.

The Raid Type I have is RAID (RAID 1) with two bays occupied
On Right Hand Side at top it say X-RAID with a green line underneath it in a box?

"If using X-RAID if you add a couple of 4TB disks to your empty bays you will triple your volume capacity".

So if what your saying is correct, adding two more 4TB WD RED drives will give me 12 TB and not 8 TB is that correct? and I won't have to re-format the one's that already contain my data on the two I'm currently using?

Thanks
Message 4 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It deletes some automatic snapshots automatically. However as you only deleted the files recently it's likely snapshots before the file deletions are still in existence hence why the space wasn't freed up. You can delete additional snapshots via the web admin UI.

Yes. Add one disk at a time, let it expand etc.
Message 5 of 16
pauls898
Aspirant

Oh thanks for the above, so can I put one new disc in the spare bay while it's switched on? or is it saver to shut the NAS down first?

So I assume I then wait for it to expand as you say, then put in the second new one? Is that correct?

Thanks
Message 6 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can do it while the NAS is on.

Yes.
Message 7 of 16
pauls898
Aspirant

Ok cool

Thanks, I have just placed an order for 2 more 4TB WD RED SATA drives, they should be here tomorrow 🙂

Thanks for your help on this one.

Cheers
Message 8 of 16
pauls898
Aspirant

I've added in my 3rd 4TB WD RED drive and it's going to take 52 hours to rebuild the volume???? that seems like a very long time? Will it be the same when I add the forth one in?
Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

The estimated rebuild times are often much longer than the reality.
Message 10 of 16
pauls898
Aspirant

Thanks for that, yes it's still saying 36 hours from now 😞 Never mind luckily I don't need to fill it just yet lol
Message 11 of 16
Drinnan
Aspirant

Hi I posted a question somewhere else but not sure how these posts work and I was hoping that Steven could give me some advice too!!

I have a ready NAS 314 too.... 4 x 4 TB drives.. I took out the far left drive and replaced it with a 6 TB drive  according to the manual since I am using XRAID  all I need to do is wait until it syncs then slowly replace the other drives with 6 TB drives and then reboot and I will be okay.. with 18 TB using XRAID  RAID 5

BUT when I did that I got an error message saying " system will shut down in 30 minutes becuase of disk failure"

Any ideas??  The 6 TB disk I put in is brand new

thanks

Message 12 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Brand new drives can fail.  In fact, most either fail early in life or kast a good long while, unless physically mishandled.

You should remove the drive and connect it to a PC where you can use the manufacturer's tools to test it.  If it fails (and I suspect it will), try to RMA with the retailer first.  The drive manufacturer may send you a refurbished one.

Message 13 of 16
Drinnan
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply ... I actually took that 6 TB drive and was able to use it .. i.e. It seems to be fine

I guess I could try another 6TB drive but I was nervous and put back the original drive !!
Message 14 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

"Use it" and "test it" are not the same.  If you put it in a PC and quick formatted it, that is much less rigorous than doing a RAID sync.

What version of firmware are you on?  I seem to recall similar issues from a long time ago, long since fixed in the firmware.  Still, if you powered back up with the new drive in place, it should have recognized it was there are started the re-sync.

Message 15 of 16
Drinnan
Aspirant

Thanks, SandShark.... I updated the firmware so it is the most up to date.... I must say that when I was given the " drive damaged" message and the message saying" system will shut down" I got quite nervous and essentially removed the 6 TB drive quickly so I can't look at the system right now and answer any deep questions.

i will give it another try.. as for now I have the 4 x 4 TB drives in the system, I rebooted it and it is working fine.

Maybe when I get my nerve up  I will try again.. I guess I was hoping that there was a simple fix or that I did something weird.

BTW.. when I went to the Drive window I could see all 4 drives.. is 6TB/4TB/4TB/4TB... the 6 TB drive had a orange color and was grayed out , obviously not working and all of the buttons on the side ( ie format etc) were grayed out.    The other drives had green lights and looked okay.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements